“Appalling unless you are Stags or hens” 1 of 5 stars

Regency Royal Hotel
East Parade, Llandudno ll30 1be, Wales   |
Ranked #62 of 65 Hotels in Llandudno
London
“Appalling unless you are Stags or hens”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

This hotel has just been taken over by a person who has never run a hotel before. It is correct that the dinning room has been refurbished however it is all superficial. The rooms are dirty and dilapidated, they were no clean while we where there because the only cleaner was taken away apparently to organise a bar for a stag doo. The staff are polite but speak poor English and ordering breakfast is a joke,my mrs who is vegetarian ordered scrambled egg and got bacon and tomato, they tried to scoop it from her plate. Breakfast is poor, they watered down orange juice because they ran out. The cereals were poor. 3 choice.

The rooms are very small

If you are a stag and hen group fill your boots because it is likely they will take any booking they can get.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

We have just returned from this hotel having spent two nights there and we found the service to be very good and the food well above average. OK the rooms are a bit dated but they are comfy and clean. The owners have refurbished the entrance and dining area to a high standard, having been there only six months. There was definetly no smell of curry .

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
chester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

This hotel is a true likeness of Fawlty Towers. The kettle in my room did not work. The heater in my colleagues bedroom did not work the curtains fell off as we both pulled them in our rooms. The shower in my friends room was awful and was in need of desperate replacing the toilet in my room was dirty. The bed was hard so I could not have a good nights sleep after a hard days work. The bar and front door closed at 10.30pm. Food was appalling as i ordered an evening meal and no veg or potatoes where served with my meal just pork and apple sauce. Strawberry Cheesecake was still frozen when I started to eat it. They charged me £69.00 on booking for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast but then they charged me another £18.00 for my evening Meal. They said they could do us breakfast for 8.00am so we could get to work but they did not start serving breakfast until 8.30am in Hotel Brochure in bedroom they state breakfast is available from 7.30am to 9.30am not the case. My friend almost broke his leg as he tripped over the loose carpet on the corridor. On going down the stairs a rail nearly fell on our heads. The orange juice at breakfast was undrinkable. The chap on the desk when we arrived could not understand English and did'nt want to. He also coulld not use the credit card machine hence he charged my friend twice and then said he could not do a refund as he did'nt know how. When we asked to speak to the Manager we were told he was not available until 9 am the next morning hence when we asked to speak to the manager we were told it would be 12pm before he would be available. The television i nn my room was not tuned in properly so I could not watch it. The duvet was so small it would not cover me hence so cold I could not sleep. My friend and I could not wait for morning to arrive so that we could get out of the place.
This hotel is a disgrace to the Welsh Tourist Board and my friend and I will never return again to this hotel. If they had not had my payment when I booked I would have walked out and gone elsewhere. This hotel only had 6 people staying in it. This speaks volumes. Indian Cruisine very limited although full menu displayed on board outside.
Also previous owners names still displayed over the front door having the licence to sell alcohol on the premises which I feel is not lawful. Also health and Safety checks are desperately needed. This hotel accommodation does not match its name. The previous owners had it far nicer and where more welcoming in everyway.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

We went only for a meal, but had a delightful experience when greeted by the owner and given a wonderful dinner. The service could not have been better and the food was beautifully presented and tasted superb.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
coventry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

I was only there for one night but wished I was there for longer. Nothing was an effort for the staff the service they gave could only be described as excellent which to me, when in a hotel, is all its about. Wish I'd had dinner there as the breakfast was brilliant, it was served freshly cooked and piping hot. I love the area and now I've stayed here I wouldn't look for anywhere else to stay. Just hope they're not fully booked when I want to go again. I was luckily given a room which overlooked the coastline and was very comfortabe. The location of the hotel is ideal for getting around Llandudno on foot so no need to move the car, perfect.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

having read the previous 2 reviews after booking, we started out on our weekend with more than a little trepidition. What a nice surprise, on arrival we were welcomed by the mangager and after checking in I was offered coffee in the lounge whilst my partner parked the car. We had lunch in the dining room which I can only describe as elegant.We enjoyed lunch so much we decided to eat in the hotel that evening and again the meal was well cooked and beautifully presented. Our room was clean and comfortable and the lounge was welcoming with coffee provided and the bar well stocked. As far as we were concerned the hotel was spotless and no smells of "Cooking" of any description could be detected, the welcome we received could not be faulted and we will definitly return again and again and have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

I was advised to stay at this place by a family member, who had been escorted around the revamped restaurant area and had been impressed by the manager's claims that the whole place had been refurbished, including the rooms. We booked over the phone en route to Wales from the South East, and were asked for a £50 deposit, which we paid, against the rate which was quoted over the phone as being £90 per night. We were staying for 2 nights.

We were arriving late, and alarm bells started ringing at 9.30pm when we rang to explain that there had been a crash on the M6 and we would be late. The person on the desk spoke little to no English, and clearly didn't understand what we were saying. He did manage to let us know, however that he was waiting to go to bed! At that point I should have known what we were up against, but we ploughed on, eventually arriving at 11.00pm.

The exterior of the building is quite inviting, but when we entered the place we were hit by the strong smell of Indian food and the man who couldn't speak English came out to greet us. He proceeded to ask me to fill in a bizarre check-in form. He then demanded £100 per night, which when I explained we had agreed £90 was met with the shake of a head, and the insistence that he must call his manager, whom he was unable to reach by phone. We were stood there after a 9 hour drive, going through all this. There was nobody else to be seen in the place, which was like a ghost town.

Eventually he mumbled soemthing unintelligble and set off towards the lifts with our case, which I took to mean that we would argue it out with the manager in the morning. Into the creaky ancient life we all piled and emerged at a room on the 2nd floor of the hotel. I asked what time breakfast was served. "8.30" ame the reply. And what time does it end? "8.30" came the reply.

There then followed a comical Manuel-esque interchange between the two of us, with the agreement that the man would serve us breakfast at 9.00am (on a Saturday morning) as a special concession to us.

The corridor was old and grubby and the alaerm bell that had begun on the motorway was by now clanging RED ALERT! We arrived at the room - and what a sheer, total disgrace this was. The place looked like it was still in 1961, when it was last decorated. There was a strong smell of damp and the paper was literally peeling off the walls. The carpet was dark and musty, and there was a huge ball of dusty fluff under a single bed that had been squeezed into the room next to our double bed (reason unknown as we were only two).

The furniture was so old, you wouldn't buy it from a second or third hand shop. There were strong gusts of wind howling through the gaps in the windows and the bed was not even tired, it was shattered, literally on its last legs. My wife's face said it all. We quickly got our bags together and made our way downstairs, where our host looked startled and said immediately, "I get you another room! I get you another room!"

His ability to speak English quickly returning, he explained at length about the better room he had upstairs if only we would stay. What a slap in the face! This joker should have put us in there in the first place, though i doubt it would have been any better than the dump we were given initially.

We left the hotel and were able to book into the 5 star Deganwy Quay at £35 per night more than these thieves were trying to charge for this shocking dump in Craig-y-don. As of yet, we have still to find out if the £50 has been refunded to us.

I would seriously, seriously avoid this place like the plague. Above all, I felt extremely sorry for any elderly people who might book a week's long holiday with a charter company and may find themselves thrown into this hell hole as part of their stay. It was genuinely the pits and fingers crossed it goes bust quickly so that it can be bought by a proper hotelier and given the renovation it so obviously needs!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Regency Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!