“Reasonable for 1 night” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 64 Hotels in Llandudno
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Reasonable for 1 night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The staff were very profesional & the hotel was clean .The rooms were a good size & the sea view made up for the dated furniture.The bathroom was modern with plenty of hot water.Hotel bar prices were very cheap. It was acceptable for a short stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Just arrived home today after spending 4 days at the Hydro, I have to say I was apprehensive after reading the negative reviews. Our stay was wonderful, room was clean and tidy (Room 118, first floor) although out of date and could do with a re-vamp it was a good base. Food was excellent and the staff were lovely, very polite and helpful. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Double room 118, 1st floor is excellent, you overlook the promenade, wasn't noisy when we were t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lichfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have just returned from a five day holiday booked through Alfa Travel and, after reading some of the extremely negative reviews on the site, was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was spotless and I was quite pleased with my room, No 103, which was a good size for a single traveller. However, as it was supposedly classed as a double room, in my opinion it would have been far too small to accommodate two people. I was not happy with the bathroom, however, which was the smallest bathroom I have ever seen, think "cupboard" and you'll get the idea. Wasn't too pleased either with the fact that I had to remake my bed each evening as the woman who cleaned my room, whilst making a good job of it, had obviously not been told that she was supposed to straighten the bottom sheet on the bed as well as the top cover! As mentioned by a lot of others on here, the staff were very friendly and worked extremely hard with some of them covering more than one job role in the hotel. It's true some only had a basic knowledge of English but we always got there in the end! The food wasn't too bad at all, I particularly liked the evening meals which were well cooked with plenty of choice. All in all I consider the break to be excellent value for the money I paid.

Room Tip: If the idea of washing and showering in a cupboard doesn't appeal, avoid room 103.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a victorian built hotel, so there are 100+ year old squeaky floorboards, decorative pillars in the dining room, random steps up and down the long corridors, and odd shaped rooms where the ensuites have been installed. If you want modern, then choose another hotel.
I found it clean and warm, and the room facilities worked, although some people had trouble with radiators needing to be bled.

The staff were invariably cheerful, polite and efficient. Very few were English, but I doubt Llandudno has enough people willing to work the unsocial hours required of hotel hospitality, and the people working there did so with a pride that not many brits seem to have

The food was traditional but unadventurous, I suppose it was catering for the mainly older guest however it was of reasonable quality and if the portions weren't huge, it's because everyone has become used to eating far too much, and when served with a portion controlled amount it seems insufficient. I doubt there would be much waste and actually approve of this approach, to serve enough but not too much.

The entertainment was definitely not to my taste, but that didn't bother me, I simply didn't join in, although lots of others did and enjoyed it, and that's fine

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at The Hydro for a bank holiday weekend.A lovely old Victorian building. We were well impressed with the room which was newly refurbished. The breakfasts were exceptionally good. We were amazed at the very good service. The staff were very friendly and hard working. In one day, they would wait on tables,tend the bar,call the bingo etc. etc. and all the time with a smile. I would definately go there again.

Room Tip: We were right at the back. Lovely quiet room but we could see the promenade from the window. The sce...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My friends and I have just returned from this Hotel. This was our fifth visit. After reading some of the reviews we wondered what had gone wrong. The new Manager Emil is wonderful, dishy and very obliging, as was his wife Judith. Nothing was too much trouble, the Hotel is spotlessly clean and I had a lovely room although a single room was on the large side No 234. Davitt the Bar Manager is lovely and very helpful and entertained us when calling the Bingo. Entertainment was good, not many in the Hotel the week we stayed but my friends and I added to the entertainment and enjoyed ourselves. The only thing we would comment on is that the food portions did not seem as large as before but we did not go hungry and the food was lovely and hot. As with Jane H I would mention Phil the coach driver, very entertaining and helpful, We did not go on any of the trips but he made sure he spoke to us every morning and checked we were ok. A lovely holiday.

Room Tip: I had room 234 and I have also stayed in 134 which overlook the Four Oaks Hotel on the side road and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Oldbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

When I booked this holiday with Alfa I came onto this site to read reviews from previous guests and boy was I worried, so much so that I nearly cancelled to go elsewhere. Thankfully I didn't.
Our driver Phil was brilliant. He was entertaining, polite, very funny and nothing was to much trouble for him to see that all his passengers were looked after.
The hotel was spotlessly clean. My Mom and myself had a single room each which were very spacious, we both had the added bonus of a side sea view, the bathrooms were plenty big enough with very powerful showers which were most refreshing.
The staff were brilliant in every way, there were never any grumpy faces, always pleasant, polite and helpful.
The food was very very good, lots of choice, very hot, presented well and we never had to wait for service. Even the chef came out to speak to the diners to see how everyone was.
The entertainment was good as was the bingo.
On top of all of this the weather was gorgeous.
My Mom and myself will definitely be travelling with Alfa again.

Room Tip: The single rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hydro Hotel? Share your experiences!