“doo not bother” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 64 hotels in Llandudno
London, United Kingdom
“doo not bother”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

It is a roof over your head and thats it.Staff are ok once you can interpret the accents! It is a tired hotel one of many inthis boring place.lwas there a week and that was 4days to long. I cannot think of anything good to say.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
walsall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

myself and my other half went with Alfa Coach Travel , on a Tinsel and Turkey week to the
Hydro, we had a nice driver who was helpful and pleasant and very knowledgeable,
we arrived there on the monday afternoon, when we got up to our room, the room was cold
due to no heating, as there was problems with it, although a member of the hotel staff came
up to bleed the radiator, after two hours the heating had gone off again, so this resulted in
a member of staff bringing us a small oil filled electric heater which barely took the cold away.
we had been fine, also there was no phone in our room, then on the wednesday night I
had this belly ache and went up in the lift to our room, where I had the runs and was sick, as
there was no phone in our room, I had to go back down to the basement which was three floors
down and tell my other half that I had been sick etc, with that I mentioned it to one of the staff
who was quite rude and very arrogant to me and told us to go back up and stay in our room,.
which we done, from 10pm until 5am next morning I was sick and had the runs as well.,
I felt so bad that my other half called the paramedics who came and then informed me that I
had norovirus, I felt so bad and had lost my morale, the paramedics were very helpful and told
me to drink plenty and wash our hands which we do, the next morning we had this letter from
the management telling us that the coach wasnt going to take us home, the letter was a nice
letter from the management, I didnt feel well enough to get home by public transport, the
hotel ordered a taxi for us to take us back home which took us two hours, this cost my other half
£250 the taxi driver was very pleasant, and when we got back home on the thursday my other half also went down with the norovirus and he was sick and had the runs all that thursday night
and on the friday we were both in bed unwell for the day, you expect to get some thing and insurance for an overseas holiday but not in the UK, and we heard that the environmental dept
in North Wales shut the hotel down for that weekend, and thats not the first time this has happened before with this hotel, the coach company should make sure that people should
take out an insurance when they travel, as you dont expect to have to make your own way home
and land up having to pay £250 for a taxi to take you to your front door.

Room Tip: half of the rooms radiators were not working, our room had a view of little orme.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Andover, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently had the misfortune to spend 5 days at this outdated hotel. The first impression I gained was that of potential language problems, especially with the serving staff. This hotel needs updating, poor dreary decor etc.I admit that there is sufficient seating in the lounges for the customers. The restaurant service was adequate and, at times, efficient, but the meal I consumed on my final evening was responsible for me to be violently ill upon my return home.My GP confirmed this after medical tests.I fully recovered after 7/8 days. I will not be patronising ALFA HOLIDAYS ever in the future.

Room Tip: The sea facing rooms are the best
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bolton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Went to party weekend 8/12.2012 Looked ok from outside but inside was sad. Our room and rooms of our friends we went with had no hot water or central heating. We complained to reception and they said they would deal with it. Dinner was dreadful the food was poor. Unfortunately the waiter had not been trained properly. We where served our first course and then main was served with us struggling to give the waiter our first course dishes as the table had not been cleared the same with the dessert. His English was very poor and it was difficult for him to understand us. Entertainment poor toilets in ballroom dirty and I mean dirty. On returning to our room we found an oil heater plug in which was like striking a match to heat a cave. The blankets where paper thin. We spent the night sleeping in dressing gowns and putting our coats on the bed to stay warm. No hot water to take a shower in the morning. I would say except for the company our weekend was pretty miserable and would adviser that you stay clear. We where also told on the way to our hotel that it had been closed for a week for intense cleaning after a virus outbreak Alfa travel never informed us about this prior to going on holiday and if they call that intense cleaning well I think they need to take a course on housekeeping. I would never return to this hotel. PatMag

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
rotherham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I agree with the statement of previous reviewer and our party night ended up in witherspoons at 8.30 as singer was rubbish and he told us to go if we did not like it. The food was not good, resturant staff ignorant and bar staff rude. Plus ended up with norovirus not a good weekend

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sheffield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We went on the Turkey and Tinsel weekender. Wasn't sure really what to expect from the hotel having read some of the comments on here.

Positive things first :- we went with Alfa and can't find fault with John the coach driver. He was a really nice chap, very friendly.

The waiters and waitresses were very efficient and attentive. Food was good as well. Nice 3 course Xmas lunch and a filling breakfast.

The rooms were basic, but adequate for one night. We had a twin room with a shower. Granted the room was next to the lift, but we didn't really notice it when anyone got in or out of the lift.

The shower you had to hold by hand. The way the shower head was fitted in the cubicle meant that you couldn't stand under the shower head & have a proper shower. Seemed a bit weird the way it was fitted.

The decor could have done with being updated. There were bubbles in the wall paper as well as marks.

The radiators were a different matter. Some people complained of being too hot, in other rooms (ours as well) the radiators were clock cold. We have to sleep in our trousers just to keep warm at night.

We mentioned this to other members of the group. They stated they had spoken to the receptionist who had had a list of names given regarding the rooms being cold and no radiators working. They were told that the manager was not there and was not in until the following morning when we were due to check out. Some good that was. It gave us the impression that we didn't matter as we were only there one night so there was no point in getting it fixed. Well yes there was, because if there were people coming in for 5 days or a week, surely it would need to be fixed for them as they couldn't go that long with a cold room now winters coming.

Drinks seemed a little expensive. We ordered a coke and j2o. It cost £5.30. A man in our group ordered a pint of Tetleys & was charged £3.80.

Entertainment seemed a bit poor. Bingo at £3 per ticket. Now if you play 6, that's 6 x £3. £18 for 3 games of bingo seems a bit steep. Even your Gala's and Meccas give you more games for your money than here. After bingo there was a raffle for wine, spirits and chocolates. A male singer was on. Not great in my opinion. A bit outdated, but seeing as the audience there were mainly retired and the more mature audience, they may have enjoyed it more.

We paid £52 each for 1 nights bed breakfast & evening meal. Coach travel was included.I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We enjoyed our 5 day stay at the Hydro again this year but were disappointed with a few things; One was hardly any Christmas music or carols. The fun element was lacking and the entertainment rather boring with male singers every night. The food was good mainly although the fish on the menu was awful. The bedrooms were spotless and the beds comfy. Seriously considering whether to visit again next year or not.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hydro Hotel? Share your experiences!