“Excellent Value for Money Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   43 - 49 Royal Parade, Eastbourne BN22 7AH, England   |
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Eastbourne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value for Money Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

I stayed at The Langham Hotel on Saturday 19th March . I found the reception staff to be very helpful and when I requested a quiet room it was accommadated without question. My single room (326) was comfortable, well furnished, very clean and quiet. The only issue was the creaky floorboards, but this wasn't a problem for me, but it might have been for the people staying underneath me!

My breakfast was served in the lovely conservatory and it was excellent. The staff were friendly and very efficient. For a 3* Hotel I was very impressed with overall standand and service and I'm quite fussy!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

I was made to wait a few minutes to check in as the receptionist was on the phone.... No problem, however most hotels would apologize for the wait. Once I checked in I was just given the key, no 'have a nice stay' like any other hotel would do.

The 'conservatory' restaurant was NOTHING like it looked on the website. It was too bright, too shabby, the roll I was served was rock hard, the candle was not lit.
Wine: this is the first restaurant I have ever been to where the wine comes to the table already opened. It was then put on my table and not poured for me to try.

When I ordered my main, meal I ordered steak (as the rest of the menu looked rather 1980's) and was waiting for the waitress to ask how I might want it cooked.... this never happened, so I had to tell her. Five minutes later she came back to tell my guest they had no cod... but could offer her 'trout' instead.
No one checked on our meals, or asked how it was once we had finished. We were however asked 2 times if we were ready to order, if we wanted bread, or if we wanted to order desserts, so clearly there was a lack of communication with staff members.

The breakfast quality was good, however I find it funny that I had to order it in stages. All I wanted was a full English..... but I was told I had to order my 'starter' first.... which happened to be apple juice. This apple juice (meant to be a starter) was actually brought out after my coffee, toast, and English breakfast, and the glass it was served in was filthy dirty.

The room I was in was the smallest I had ever stayed in. The walls were so thin I could hear the man next door cough, or clear his throat (thank goodness he did not snore.)

Upon checking out I was told I had to pay for my meal..... Again I was not asked how everything was, nor was I asked how my stay was. To me this reason alone is the biggest reason I will never stay there again.

The hotel has so much potential, it is a real shame.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
pauljames22, Public Relations Manager at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the trouble to let us know about your experiences during your stay in February, and it seems that you must have caught us on a bad day - as you will see from other TripAdvisor comments that we get many compliments from guests about our staff.

We have taken on board your comments about the service received at reception and in the restaurant and, although staff training is already in place, we will be implementing retraining in those areas.

I know that the hotel proprietor has now spoken to you on the telephone about your concerns, and we are delighted that you will be returning to the Langham and hope that you will enjoy your stay.
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

Just spend a charming afternoon having a three course lunch at the Langham.
The homemade seafood terrine was oustanding followed by a tasty vegetable curry. My Chablis was also delicious and extremely reasonably priced for such a wine.
The staff are always poilte, friendly and welcoming and i feel my custom is truly appreciated. Every member of the team work hard to make this hotel the sucess that it is.
I couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I booked a room here on a Saturday night as I was attending a course the following day.

Granted that my single room off season was only £25 - I did not expect much from such a cheap room, but as long as it was clean and quiet I didn't mind. However I didn't expect my radiator (which was hanging off the wall by a wobbly nail) to fall off the wall, nor my shower to leak and flood the bathroom, and continuously drip throughout the night.

I had the worst night's sleep I have ever had in a hotel - the walls are so thin they might as well have been made of paper. It's one thing to have to put up with snoring if it's someone from someone in your own room, but I could hear snoring going on elsewhere in the hotel! Creaky floorboards and drunk late night chatter didn't help much either.

The morning breakfast service was bizarre, you are given a choice of traditional or continental breakfast, but have to order in courses, as if it were a main evening meal! So while I only wanted cereal and a yoghurt (referred to by the staff as the 'starter'), the waitress refused to take the orders of my friends who only wanted the 'main' of a cooked breakfast until I had finished my course! I have never seen anything so ridiculous, it meant we couldn't eat together as a group, and as such, we ended up being late for our course.

Redeeming features of this hotel would be it's very polite and friendly reception staff (the restaurant staff remained aloof and surly throughout), and it's location. I would go elsewhere and pay more money for a better night's sleep.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
pauljames22, Public Relations Manager at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel regarding its location and the friendliness of the reception staff.

I am sorry that the radiator fixing was loose in your room. This had been knocked by a previous guest and should have been reported earlier to the maintenance department, but has now been replaced with a brand new radiator. All rooms are part of an ongoing refurbishment, programme and more than half the bedrooms at the hotel have now been completed to a very high standard. Obviously this takes time and a great deal of expense, and I hope that you will bear with us.

The Langham opened in 1913 and was originally nine Victorian houses, and so inevitably has the odd creaking floorboard due to the age of the building, and as much as possible has been done to correct these defects wherever possible. The walls are fairly thick for such a property and we rarely receive complaints about noise, although naturally any hotel is dependent on guests being considerate to others late at night. A hotel is clearly different to staying in a private house. Sadly, we can't do anything about loud snorers.

With regards to your comments about breakfast: usually the restaurant doesn't serve hot food until the cold course (cereal, yoghurt, fruit juice etc) is finished, but the staff should have been more accommodating to your needs. The Restaurant Manager has spoken to the members of staff concerned about the misunderstanding, and a period of retraining is being considered.

We do hope that you will consider returning to the Langham, and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Stayed at the Langham just after Christmas as part of a oach trip with David Urquhart. Good value. Comfortable hotel in a good position, right on the sea front, but quite a walk from town. The evening entertainment was gentle and pleasant, appropriate for the middle aged audience.
Our room was very well presented - newly decorated, but small and at the back of the hotel.
Food was fine - not great but of acceptable quality, given the price that we paid for the holiday package. The young waiters and waitresses did their jobs well.
The only major problem was having to take on the role of a second class citizen. As part of the Urquhart group, we had no flexibility of meal times and limited choice of food. (Even when we ordered what appeared to be the same meal as a 'real' guest, we got less in quantity and variety of accompaniments.) Although the dining rom was open for quite long periods, we had to eat at shared tables at a precisely given time. Real guests appeared to have greater choice in when to eat, what to eat and the quality of their meals.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments about the Langham with regards to value, comfort, location, entertainment , and the waiting staff.

Just to clarify the situation regarding your stay with us as one of the David Urquhart coach party, and your comment that other guests appeared to have a greater choice of menu and meal times. Your visit was part of a "Twixmas" coach trip (between Christmas and New Year) and the coach company requested that the meals be at specified times to fit in with their itinerary of trips and outings, departure times etc, so the hotel was guided by the coach company as to when the meals were served. Excursions particularly dictate meal times. Coach companies also generally ask for parties to be put at tables together, as they feel that friendships are made and that people will want to be able to chat and feel part of a community so we offer shared tables for this reason.

The choice of menu differed slightly simply because other guests staying at the hotel at the time were paying a considerably higher rate as private individuals and so had an a la carte menu, plus many of them paid supplements on dishes - if having steaks, for example - and paid extra for accompaniments of their choice. As part of a coach party of 50 people, guests are able to stay at a greatly reduced rate , but it would be impractical for a hotel to offer an a la carte menu for the price paid, and so a four choice table d'hote menu is part of the package. We hope, nevertheless, that you found the choice satisfactory, and all our dishes are made from high quality, locally sourced ingredients.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Langham in the future.
Hastings
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

I did not stay at the hotel, a friend of mine lives in E'bourne and we were over there for a night out. He brought with him a load of menus and the Langham was one. The menu looked lovely, so we decided on the Langham. We should have smelled a rat as it did say it was a sample menu. Well we got there and the menu was a million miles from the sample. As a stand alone entity the Restaurant was a let down.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
pauljames22, Public Relations Manager at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
Sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the menu when you came to the Langham restaurant. Unfortunately your visit was in mid-January - a month when the hotel is obviously less busy - and so on that particular night it was only practical to offer a table d'hote menu rather than the usual a la carte menu, which is why it would have varied from the sample menu you had downloaded from the internet. We hope that you will make a return visit at another time and give us a second chance, and we look forward to seeing you.
Eastbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

I booked over 70 people into this hotel last October for an accordion music festival and would like to congratulate the hotel for doing such a fine job. They bent over backwards to meet our every need. Our own comment cards returned a venue rating of over 93%. The hotel has a reputation for excellent food and it lived up to it. The only complaint we had about food for one gentleman was there was too much.

I am aware that the owner of the Langham hotel has spent a lot of money on refurbishing what used to be a tired Victorian building. All public rooms are very presentable, clean and plush. On the downside there are still a few bedrooms that need more work but I know that is being worked on as an on going process. Our bedroom was warm, comfortable (great bed and pillows), clean and double glazed (something that not many Eastbourne hotels have). Secure parking for our whole group was specially arranged just a few hundred yards away.

All in all I would have no hesitation in recommending this Hotel, the staff were brilliant. I hope to be back there again very soon!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Langham Hotel? Share your experiences!