“Jazz Lunch-Feb 24th 2013” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   43 - 49 Royal Parade, Eastbourne BN22 7AH, England   |
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Eastbourne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Eastbourne
“Jazz Lunch-Feb 24th 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I regularly attend Jazz lunches at the Langham-they are wonderful. The service is first class, so is the food/wine, having beef [local farm] carved from the trolley by your table, is a sheer delight. Furthermore the food is always served on hot plates.
We can't fault anything about these events and that is why we attend every one of them.
In general we only have the highest regard for this establishment-are always treated well with attentive staff and a varied menu which we are always happy with.
The wines are also very much to our taste and we have no complaints whatsoever!
I could go on and on ....................

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan K,

Thank you very much for your great view of our ever popular Jazz Lunch! I am so glad you all had such a great time with us and thoroughly enjoyed the music, service, food and carving trolley! We look forward to seeing you again at the next one!

Warm regards,
Simon Brown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Rye, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Our Ruby wedding was on the same day as the Langham hotels Valentine night .12 of us booked in for the Saturday night and what a great night it was.The duo called Duality they had singing that night was so perfect for a romantic evening.
We have used this hotel before and the staff always treat us as friends but are always very professional. The owners Neil Kirby and his wife Wendy are such perfect hosts. The food is always first class and the service excellent. The rooms are beautifully furnished and spotlessly clean. Would always recommend this hotel for the perfect stay.

Room Tip: Always book a sea view
Dear Laurensgiggles,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so pleased you had the perfect Valentines evening and that Duality, the team and the food all struck the right note, and have done so on many previous occasions. Your thanks is greatly appreciated and we hope to see you again soon.

Kindest regards,
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We spent Friday & Saturday night at the Langham as part of the Regimental reunion and have got to report that we enjoyed every minute.
What a lovely change to book into a hotel that had a personality and where you actually felt welcomed. Nice touch to be assisted to our rooms with the luggage.
At all times staff were friendly, helpful and Smiley.. and believe me a smile goes a long way..
We were lucky enough to have booked a seaview room which was great.
We enjoyed the food on both nights and for our 'black tie' night the staff had just the right amount of attentiveness.
Well done the Langham and well done to John & Heidi for the organisation.

Dear Sprite643,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. The Langham team do work very hard to deliver that great experience and I am delighted to read that this has been achieved and also with a smile! We hope to deliver that same experience on your next stay.

Kindest regards,

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just spent Friday and Saturday night at the Langham Hotel as part of a reunion weekend. From the moment we arrived the staff were extemely helpful and friendly. The food was first class and the service was excellent. I would certainly return and would also recommend to friends.
If I have any criticisim it would be that the bar prices were quite expensive 4.40 for a G&T and we had quite a few!!!!! and What's going on with having to check out by 10.30am some of us were just getting to bed!!! Seriously a fantastic weekend. Thanks for the great service.
And to RQMSRHC, thanks for your organisation and lets have the same next year.

Room Tip: I was late in booking therefore did not get a sea view room, however the room I had at the back of t...
Dear Rabkate69,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and had a really good party - next time you will have to stay that extra night to avoid the Sunday departure! Your criticism is noted as is your generous praise. We hope to see you again soon.

Kindest regards

East Sussex, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Visited the Langham Hotel with a party of nine from local Bowls Club for a "Jazz Lunch" in the hotel's restaurant) and although we had a great time (Can't miss with the personalities involved) there were a few bum notes. We could not get in until 1.30 pm and although we were politely led to the bar to wait no menus were handed out which was what we expected. Once we were taken to our table we encountered The Jazz trio's "interval" so it was silent apart from the chatter from a whole raft of tables. However, we were taken off the main floor and positioned in an alcove to the right from which the the musicians - who eventually came back on - were not visible. It didn't matter because they were not much to look at and never smiled (apparently). And of course we could still hear them (if we strained our ears a little). Meanwhile, despite a phalanx of restaurant staff it took quite a while for us to be consulted about what we would like to eat and in the end it arrived in dribs and drabs - mostly drabs. My wife's chicken was crusty and vegetables, when we eventually got them, were cold. Apologies were offered. The potatoes were in two dishes but only enough for us to have two each. We asked for more and were assured we'd get them, but it just didn't happen. We tried to compensate with extra cauliflower which, by contrast, was in abundance but we all found it hard, unyielding and fairly tasteless. Several of us had the sirloin of beef off the trolley and although this was a laborious process via the young fellow who clearly hadn't much experience of it, the carved meat was pretty good and tasty - even though I was served with an "endy-bit" which I, as someone who doesn't like waste, consumed but shouldn't have been asked to. The starters were varied and I had a lovely plum-tomato soup. For dessert I chose an excellent crepes suzette with vanilla ice-cream (you could have ice cream or fresh cream, although not both) but I had to pay a supplement. The whole thing was listed at £19.90 a head for three courses but with a couple of bottles of decent wine (which must have been expensive) the entire bill for nine came to £226. By about 3 pm. the jazz trio had long since played the Last Post and gone off quietly but that was no great loss even if we didn't get to hear much of them any way. Before we left the owner (the charming Neil) greased up to our table and told us all about himself and asked, I think, if we had enjoyed our meal. We didn't really have the courage to tell him the true story - he will learn it here and from his waiting staff) because he was clearly very proud of what he had provided (probably all in his book which he kept on about) and we didn't like to upset him..

langham66, Owner at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
I was so surprised to read so many negative comments that I made a telephone call today to the organiser of your group to apologise for letting you all down. I was even more surprised when she refuted nearly every one of your complaints. She actually booked the table for 1.30pm and was quite happy with that and she also knew that the jazz band would be taking a break between 1.30 and 1.50pm. Her only comment was that the cauliflower cheese was slightly undercooked but the vegetables certainly were not cold. I have spoken to our Restaurant Manager about your apparent lack of potatoes and she has confirmed that she first brought more carrots and beans but when she then asked if you would like more potatoes she was told (obviously by someone else on the table) that you were fine and didn't need any more. You say that the total bill came to £226 for nine people, which according to my sums, comes to £25 per person, which I think most people would consider good value for a three course meal and a couple of bottles of decent wine. As for your remark that I 'greased my way' up to your table, I was actually invited by the organiser of your group to come over and say hello to her friends. The rest of your party were very pleasant and we were laughing and joking about my book as one of them used to work with Saudi Arabians in London, as I did. if I am at a loss to understand how you had to strain to hear the band as you were sitting approximately 24 feet away from them! We had 94 guests at the lunch and had no other complaints about the music, including from your own party, according to the lady who booked the lunch.
I have read some of your previous reviews on Trip Advisor and I am sorry to see that you are generally unhappy with your dining experiences. However, as you will see from other reviews, the vast majority of our customers are very happy with our food and service and we are very proud of what we provide. As the organiser of your party said to me today "We had a very nice time and I would like to apologise for his comments".

Neil Kirby
Proprietor
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Langham Hotel played host to a party of 55 Serving Soldiers and Old Comrades from all over the UK and Germany this last weekend. From the moment we started to arrive and check in the hospitality and service was outstanding which in itself only complemented the wonderful surroundings and facilities the Langham has to offer its guests. The rooms are all recently renovated, extremely well appointed, decorated and comfortable.
The quality of the cuisine, wines and beverage selection on offer was without doubt first class. Regimentally we have always prided ourselves on demanding the highest standards from our soldiers and in return treat them with the same, catering being one area that affects us all. The Langham obviously works to that same principle, the food was superb and plenty of it.
The atmosphere that was generated by all of the staff went to enhance our experience immensely, all were extremely pleasent, professional and helpful at all times.The whole operation is masterminded and directed by Neil and Wendy who are consumate professionals in their field and we are indebted to them for all the additional time and effort they took on our behalf to make our weekend event a superb success. In summary the Langham offers an extremely good "value for money" experience. We look forward to our booking for 2014. Very many thanks to our new friends in Eastbourne.

Dear RQMSRHC,

Thank you ever so much for your glowing report. We are delighted that you all had such a fabulous reunion party. Your kind comments to the team and the owners are very much appreciated; you were a great group to look after and we look forward to seeing you again in 2014 if not sooner!

Warmest regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Spent the weekend here as part of a reunion weekend and wanted for nothing all weekend. Staff were all very pleasant and helpful, rooms comfortable and food was very good. Bar prices are a little high but I am Scottish ! Will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Musofun,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We look forward to your return!

Warm regards,

Simon Brown

Been to Langham Hotel? Share your experiences!