“disapointed and disgusted” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Eastbourne
london
“disapointed and disgusted”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I also have been visiting the langham for years and have always been satisfied.. My last stay at the langham was far from satisfactory and ended with a row with the owner who seemed more interested in profit than the comfort and well being of he's guests. I left half way through my two day stay in discust.never to return.My stay was supposed to be a quiet break for me and my partner who has been unwell recently. When we we arrived the sea view room that we had booked was not updated and of a standard fit to stay in and had a horrable musty smell which was unacceptable...
I asked to change rooms and lost my sea view as a compromise to get a room of a decent standard . this I could live with what was unacceptable was the music that started blearing through the wall and the floor. I knew the hotel was having some kind of function becouse when I asked about dinner arrangemants I was told the dinning room was unavailable due to the event being set up. my annoyance was that nothing was said apon booking that there was any kind of function let alone one that would couse such a disterbunce to all guest staying at the hotel.if I had known about the function I would not have booked if I was told when I arrived I would not have stayed the attitued of the owner was most disturbing since he didn't seem to care about the discomfort of he's guests due to the noise in he's make shift function room which was really he's dinning room that was not fit for purpose since it had no sound proofing to protect against noise he's attiuid was that he didn't care less I see that someone else has had a smiler experiance to me it was more than likely the same event on the same weekend of the 15th october it seems this hotel must have changed hands and has differant priorities than it used to such a shame becouse it used to be so nice

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
langham66, Owner at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
To put this review into some kind of perspective, the guest made this reservation at 2.00pm on the day of arrival (Friday). The hotel was nearly full with only a couple of rooms available. The seaview room allocated has not been fully refurbished but is in perfectly good condition and excellent value for money at £75.00 per night including full English breakfast. We have guests staying in this room all week every week with no complaints at all. However, as this guest was not happy my staff made every effort to show him other rooms until we finally came up with one he liked!
Although our main restaurant was not available due to a private function on the Saturday evening, the Conservatory Restaurant was open, but as this guest's booking was made so late the Conservatory was already full with other residents.
The guest came down to the Reception Desk to complain about the loud music at 5.55pm on the Saturday evening when the band was still doing a sound check. Obviously this is going to be louder than the music played during the function later in the evening.
When I arrived at the Reception Desk, this guest was shouting and being abusive to my receptionist, which I do not think my staff should have to tolerate. Apart from the guests attending the function, we had over 40 other people staying that night, and this was the only complaint we received. In fact, one of our regular guests made the comment "It's a hotel - functions happen!" Surely if this guest was so concerned he would have enquired at the time of booking if we had any functions planned for the weekend?
The hotel has not changed hands, my wife and I have owned the Langham for 7 years and I have been in the business for 45 years. My attitude has not changed in all that time - I care passionately about the comfort of my guests but I will not tolerate rude and abusive behaviour towards my staff and I think all right minded people would agree with me.
Ironically, if this guest had stayed in the room originally allocated he would have been so far away from the restaurant he would not have heard a thing!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We go away once a year for the weekend on a coach trip to different places. This is all done on a budget and most of the time the hotels are looking very tired. Occasionally one may have great food or service as well. The Langham manages to provide excellent food and service, in a Hotel that is definitely not looking tired.

Staff were very professional as well as amiable. Our room had modern, new looking furniture in it with a very clean, modern bathroom. Food was excellent.

I don't think there were any grumbles at all from the party and it's likely that this will be the first place that we will return to. Some people want to go there next year! I also think some people are going there independently too.

My score is based on visiting this as a weekend coach party hotel, an easy 5. If I were rating this as a hotel visitor then it would be a comfortable 5.

Room Tip: I believe they are working through the rooms to update them, so might be worth asking for one that h...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Simon B, Guest Relations Manager at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am very pleased you all had such a great time staying with us and I really do appreciate your kind comments about the great food, service and the hotel and bedroom decor.

We very much hope to welcome you and your party back again in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards,
Eastbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently for a short breakeven though it is close to my home. I couldn't fault the service; the staff were all very friendly and efficient and the food was worthy of 5 stars, something that is rare in British seaside hotels where often the vegetables are cooked to oblivion and the portions are small.
The room had a sea-view, well worth the small extra charge and was comfortable and well furnished. The public areas, reception lounge and bar lounge are equally well presented with more than adequate seating for all. The entertainment was superb! The resident keyboard player/singer/comedian was amazing; why has he not been discovered??? Even the bingo nights, a staple of seaside entertainment was nevertheless fun as the caller was something of a comedian himself.
All in all, a most welcome stay and a much cherished memory.

Room Tip: Always ask for a seaview room. A little extra cost, but worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Simon B, Guest Relations Manager at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to leave your review. We really do appreciate your kind words and I am delighted that you had such a great holiday! I will also pass on your kind appreciation to our entertainers who I am certain are destined for stardom soon!

We very much hope to welcome you back again soon.

With kind regards,

Nairn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I first stayed at the Langham Hotel some forty four years ago during the early part of our marriage, and subsequently visited on a number of occasions both as a couple and later with our two children. Those happy memories remained with us and as we had only recently celebrated our 46th Wedding Anniversary we chose a further re-visit during October 2012. In order to make the visit even more special I chose to book one of the Honeymoon Suites!
Upon checking in (and as our booking was initially for 'bed and breakfast accommodation) I enquired about the booking and timing of tables for the evening meal and was provided with the necessary information. The room (120) was beautifully decorated and furnished and offered impressive views of the sea front. The decor of other areas of the hotel was also pleasing to the eye. When we visited the Dining Room for dinner on the first evening we were ushered into the "Sun Lounge" facility at the front of the hotel overlooking the Promenade because a Masonic Lodge was utilising the whole of the Dining Room. Clearly, the "shop window" aspect of the Sun Lounge lacks the warmth and ambience of the Dining Room - particularly for a celebration such as ours - as we were open to the view of passing pedestrians and vehicles. I acknowledge that such a facility will be attractive to some guests but had I been informed of this arrangement at the time of booking I would not have made the reservation! However, having found myself without alternatives I decided decided to "go with the flow"! Upon ordering our meal we noted that the menu consisted of more supplements than the Sunday Times and Observer combined! How difficult would it be to provide accurate pricing of individual items rather than present this psuedo ta´ble d'hote´ menu?
The following afternoon I visited Reception to make a further reservation for dinner to be informed that "the Masonic Function" had reserved the Dining Room and all dining facilities for the whole of that evening! When I complained that I had not been informed of this arrangement at the time of check-in, the suggestion was made that I could "visit the bar and partake of a bar snack"! Quite clearly, the prospect of continuing our celebration with a "bar snack" did not appeal - and made even more of a nonsense of our having booked two nights accommodation in one of the Honeymoon Suites! In saying that, I recognise it might be suggested that I should have booked Dinner bed and breakfast at the outset - at which time I would presumably have been advised of the dining restrictions. Perhaps a fair point, but could I not have been similarly advised when checking in at Reception? Such information would at least have given me more time and scope for our re-arranged schedule! Upon return to our room that evening further irritation and disruption was inflicted by the constant, intrusive and excessively loud noise of the music(?), entertaining the members of the Masonic Lodge. There are at least two 'Honeymoon Suites' at the Langham, which suggests that weekend functions, loss of Dining Room and excessive noise from entertainers will be a regular feature. All in all our weekend proved to be an expensive disappointment which could have been avoided had Booking.com and/or the hotel made at least some effort to inform us of the imposed arrangements. Would we have visited had we known? No! Would we recommend the Langham to others travelling in similar circumstances? No! Note: The below ratings for the Langham Hotel reflect our experience on this particular occasion.

Room Tip: Inevitably and unfortunately, the 'special suites' appear to be located on the first floor t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Simon B, Guest Relations Manager at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is lovely that you choose to return to us at the Langham Hotel for your 46th Wedding Anniversary and that you enjoyed the hotel amenities and honeymoon suite.

It is however such a shame that we were unable to accommodate you for Dinner on the Saturday night and that the ambiance of the Conservatory Restaurant on the Friday night did not meet your expectations. Funnily enough, most guests request a table in the Conservatory because of the superb views of the sea from that part of the restaurant!

Our table d'hote menu is not individually priced because the basic menu is included in our half board rate and we have added supplements for those wishing to upgrade, which has been tremendously popular with the vast majority of our guests. Insincerity and irritation is not our intention but I do respectfully take your comments on board.

As a Hotel we hold many events throughout the year and I understand that disturbance can sometimes be caused. We would happily have advised you of this event in advance had you contacted us direct to make your booking.

I am genuinely sorry for your disappointment and do hope that on a future occasion we can have the opportunity to make sure we understand your requirements in advance. I would suggest that if you do decide to visit us again you book with us direct. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee a reservation for dinner in the restaurant for bookings made on a bed and breakfast basis through Booking.com. and I am sorry that you were not advised of this by our reception staff when you checked in on Friday.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback, which is much appreciated and will help us to improve our service in the future.

With kind regards

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

i would like to thank all your staff. neil and wendy, for a great evening .everything was first class,i would recomend this great hotel, for any occasion, frank, we will see you all very soon,all our guests were very impressed also,the food was great ,a lovely room with a superb sea view,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Frank,

Thank you so much for your kind words, they are ever so important to us and I have shared them with Neil, Wendy and the Team. I am so glad you all had such a great time - we look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Best wishes,

Abingdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just got back from a lovely weekend at the Langham Hotel we could not fault a thing. The rooms were clean and well kept, our food was excellent with a varied menu each day, the friendly and helpfull staff made our short stay at this hotel most enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Simon B, Guest Relations Manager at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. It really is appreciated and I am so pleased you had such an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to see you again in the future!
Kindest regards
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I must say that the staff at the Langham Hotel are the most friendly and professional people I have stayed with over many years. The service was exceptional and fast . The food was excellant and always brought to your table on very hot plates. Everything you asked for was dealt with with a smile and good humour.
The chef and his team did a great job and the menu was satisfactory which covered most peoples pallets .
The room was very clean and a large bathroom was very pleasant.
The hotel was opposite the beach and pier and only a 10/15 minutes walk away from the main shopping centre in the town.
The entertainment was fair if you wished to stay in the hotel in the evening , although there were other pubs only just down the road if you fancied a stroll. The party that we part of , all gave a standing ovation to the staff for such an enjoyable stay over the weekend.
The hotel is good for most people but nothing that I could see for children in the evenings , so be careful about that point.

You can book a garage at £10 per night for your car attached to the hotel or £6 for a parking spot at the rear .
I will certainly go back again without a doubt.

Room Tip: We had a double room which was a good size with plenty of drawers and wardrobe space. Just been deco...
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your very helpful feedback.

I am delighted to read that you had such friendly efficient service, tantalising menus and good humor! We can by the way always entertain the kids with DVDs, Boardgames and books, we have many resources at our disposal!

We are humbled by your kindness to the staff and very much hope to welcome you all back again in the near future

Kindest regards,
Simon

Been to Langham Hotel? Share your experiences!