“Standard fare pleasant B&B with accomodating owners.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Sherwood

You added The Sherwood to your Saves list
The Sherwood
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   7 Lascelles Terrace | East Sussex, Eastbourne BN21 4BJ, England   |
Ranked #41 of 73 Eastbourne B&B and Inns
UK
“Standard fare pleasant B&B with accomodating owners.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed here for a single night, ready for an early start working in the town. On our way we were delayed by severe traffic problems, rang the hotel and explained the situation to the owners, who were happy to leave a key and welcome pack for us when we arrived.

On arrival, the pack was waiting for us, as was our small but comfortable twin room with ensuite.

We slept well, although due to the age of the building and rooms, we did find (as is sadly common) that power points to charge mobile devices were few and far between, and none close to the beds.

In the morning following refreshing showers (probably aided by the hotel being at low occupancy in the off season) we enjoyed a full traditional breakfast, served by the pleasant and welcoming host in the basement breakfast room.

Overall the hotel has nothing that makes it stand out from any other pleasant B&B, but it has certainly been noted and added to the file of hotels we would be very happy to return to.

Room Tip: As an older building, some rooms are a long way up, many stairs!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Had a lovely weekend in The Sherwood. Manager and staff so accommodating, nothing too much trouble! Rooms were very clean, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast was delicious could have virtually anything, full english came quickly and was perfectly cooked. Stayed as a couple first night and grandson stayed with us second. Manager was so helpful with grandsons breakfast and he tucked into it all. Near all amenities, virtually all walkable. Would most definitely stay here again, all the little touches made it perfect.

Room Tip: As there is no lift not good for people with mobility problems. I am recently recovering from chemo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Booked my elderly mother and brother with learning difficulties into this guesthouse. On the booking form (via booking.com) I had asked if they could have 2 rooms next to each other on the groundfloor. However, this information didn't get through to the manager, so all the groundfloor rooms were gone. He had booked them in on the top floor which would have been very difficult for my mother as there are no lifts. He immediately offered to move my mother down to a room with just one small staircase off the ground floor. However, she found the inner firedoor, seperating bedroom and toilet, difficult to open, so the manager went straight off to find a door wedge. Then he suggested that mum and brother share a twin room and he reduce the price which they accepted. The dining room is situated at basement level and the manager suggested that he would be happy to bring the breakfast up to the lounge area for them if they couldn't make the stairs. The only downside to their room was the bathroom (it was so small). This hotel would not be suitable for anyone with limited mobility. Even though I wasn't staying there myself the manager gave me free parking permits for the whole of their stay as I was their means of transport.

Room Tip: Ring manager direct if you need a groundfloor room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Just returned home after three nights at this lovely hotel, in the centre of Eastbourne, just yards off the sea front.
The hotel is very welcoming, clean and the rooms were spotlessly clean with little extras such as complimentary bottles of water and biscuits.
Rooms have tea/coffee making facilities. Our room was equipped with satellite TV/DVD. Good quality beddings and towels.
The breakfast was first class with a very good choice of fruit, yogurt, cereals, fruit juices (self-service) and a full cooked breakfast of your choice to order. The food was very tasty and very good size portions.
The only thing that let our visit down was when we arrived (quite late afternoon/early evening) I had to double park the car outside and carry the bags into the hotel; leaving them with my wife, whilst I went to find a parking space (nearby). I had been handed two complimentary parking permits for on street use, which was a very nice touch!
On my return to the hotel, my wife was exhausted and was on her third trip down three flights of stairs to collect the last of the luggage. I was truly amazed that the member of staff had not offered her any assistance, which would have been greatly appreciated. It may well be that the staff member was unable to help for a variety of reasons; however I feel that this should have been explained to my wife.
However, that aside, it did not spoil our pleasant stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a partial sea view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Ticks all the Boxes.....Very nice staff and well run.
Very Clean and Comfortable.
Free Satellite Tv, Free Wi-Fi and Free Parking Permits for our stay.
Breakfast out of this world !
Very Good value for Money.
Will be back again !

Room Tip: Room 5 Very Good for a Family of 4 even with a Baby.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

I booked this at short notice and was pleasantly surprised. The location is great. Parking permit was free and given to me as soon as I checked in - and parking was ample.

Check in was pleasant and easy. We had room 11 at the top. Plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits! Room a good size: lovely travel cot ready and made up.

Breakfast was good. High chair ready and waiting - a great Start! Big range of cereals and fruit followed by cooked breakfast.

Check out was easy and off we went. This was my first trip alone with my 9 month old baby and they were great - mummy confidence boosted! Only criticism was I couldn't get the tele to work - but as I was knackered after a full day on the front I just chose an early night instead!

• Stayed August 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

The manager was extremely rude to us. As the hotel was fully occupied for the Eastbourne airshow, and our room was on the top floor, there was no water at all from the shower and only cold from the sink tap in the morning.
On reporting this to the manager at checkout he accused us of lying - saying it had never happened before....
I have since read an old review on Trip Advisor saying the exact same, except they were offered money off.
Maybe it was because we were a group (only of three late-30s to 40s women), but we were treated disgustingly and our feedback was not only dismissed but he was very aggressive towards us, which was intimidating.
We were told we were liars and "trying it on".
I recommend to anyone that values personal hygiene to stay away.

• Stayed August 2012
Karen W, Manager at The Sherwood, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Taking any complaint seriously I would not be doing my Job properly if I did not investigate such a claim. On doing so there was and to this day is still no problem with any plumbing in this room because I asked the Customer to show me the problem. And on doing so, everything worked FINE. Natuarally I would feel silly too if I did make such a claim and it was proved to be un-founded even more silly if by going on the internet thinking I would not respond to such a claim. Maybe you did'nt expect me to do this with a cue of other customers waiting to check out too but we do take any complaint very seriously and of top prioity. And on the internet aswell.
What we don't understand with the Personal Hygiene comment is why would'nt you complain earlier if it had been true, before breakfast maybe, not when your just checking out and asking for a discount.
The Red One's for Hot and The Blue One's for Cold and the On and Off button for the Shower is here.

Been to The Sherwood? Share your experiences!