“Groupon w.e break” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 41 hotels in Eastbourne
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Groupon w.e break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I went there with my partner for a well deserved w.e break after buying a deal on Groupon in Feb 2013.
Room was clean and bathroom was spotless. Only thing would be the carpet which felt a bit granny-like, but then again I have a thing against carpet in general!
Wall were a bit on the thin side and you could hear people coming and going, and the lift. But it was all quiet by the time we went to bed.
Breakfast was well stocked and tasty.
Staff was really friendly and went out their way to help us out after I got a very bad case of food poisoning on the last night - not from food at their restaurant I must add.
Very good location - about 1hr walk from Beachy Head taking it reaaaally slowly, 5-10min walking from Eastbourne Pier and same for town center.
Despite all the positive, if not for the Groupon deal, I wouldn't go back as the rooms are a touch expensive. I put a 5 star rating for value considering I had the Groupon deal - otherwise I would give it a 3-star rating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
clairepj, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for the very positive comments you made in your recent review of this hotel.

I was sorry that you were very unwell on the last evening of your stay but glad that you appreciated the help given by our staff – and particularly relieved that it was not caused by food from our restaurant!

I do hope that we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel on some other occasion.

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself was OK. Dinner in the bar and breakfast were fine. However, despite the hotel being only half full, they gave me a room - 129 - on the stairs, adjoining the Ladies' toilets and opposite the cleaner's cupboard. Quiet it was not. The walls are paper thin, so I had the joy of sharing everyone's trip to the loo; people stomping up and down the stairs and the cleaner clanking round with buckets mops and hoovers from 6am. Didn't need my alarm call... Why give anyone that room, unless every other one is occupied? Was booked in by work for a business trip. Hope to never stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013
Firstly I am glad that you enjoyed both breakfast and dinner whilst staying at this hotel. However, I am very sorry that you were disappointed with the room allocated to you and found it to be rather noisy.

We have taken all your comments on board and thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Beverley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had to visit Eastbourne at short notice. Reservation staff at the Lansdowne very helpful and found us the best rate at the best price. Reception staff, as all the staff, always efficient, friendly and helpful. Our reservation was upgraded to a room with a sea view. We had a large pleasant room overlooking the promenade. Good chairs and plenty of storage space room pleasantly furnished, if rather dated. All very promising but there are problems. The energy saving lights in the room were pathetic; there was simply not sufficient light to read by in the evening. I have never stayed in a place with such creaky floor boards. The shower pressure was poor. The Wi Fi connection was slow and erratic. The breakfasts were nothing to get excited about.

It is difficult to rate the hotel. Given the price we payed and the very pleasant staff and generally pleasant atmosphere of the place I give it a generous four stars. But if does need some money spending on it and refurbishment and if I had been paying full price I think I would have rated it three stars.

Room Tip: Contact hotel directly when making a reservation; price cheaper than web sites such as Lastminute.co...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
clairepj, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Firstly, I wish to thank you for the very kind comments you made concerning the staff being efficient, friendly and helpful. This is certainly the standard of service we would wish to provide, and I am also glad that you were pleased with your room.

With regard to the energy saving bulbs not providing enough light for you to read by, we have noted this and will consider the matter further. We have also noted your comments concerning the shower pressure and the WI Fi connection.

This hotel has been in the same family ownership for 100 years and the building is therefore rather old which does bring with it inevitable problems such as creaky floorboards.

I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back on some other occasion.
Portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a two night stay (Groupon deal). The Lansdowne hotel is very clean and tidy, and the decor ,although it may seem a little dated, suits the style of the hotel completely. Our room was well appointed and spotless, and the bed was very comfortable. There was plenty of tea and coffee and also some complimentary biscuits. My only criticism of the room was that the ensuite bathroom door was fairly thin and not sound proof!!!
There was a very good choice of food at breakfast (hot and cold) however I would suggest that it is better for guests to go to breakfast earlier if they want freshly cooked hot food as it appears to be prepared at the beginning of the breakfast sitting and then kept warm in the serving area. We did not eat in the main restaurant but did have a cream tea on arrival which was nice. We ate at a nearby Thai restaurant which was great. All of the staff at the Lansdowne are very polite and attentive. Parking may be a problem at peak times but we parked easily on the side street next to the hotel. We enjoyed our stay at the Lansdowne and Eastbourne so are planning to return to explore more of the area including more of the South Downs/Beachy Head. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013
I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay and would like to thank you for all the positive comments you made in your review.

However, I am sorry that you felt the bathroom door was rather thin, and we have taken this comment on board.

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the South Downs and Beachy Head.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and i stayed for 3 nights from a groupon deal, the deal included an afternoon tea complimentary to our room deal. we dined in the restaurant one evening and had a very nice meal, being the winter the menu was a little small in choice but we still had a very nice meal. the breakfast buffet in the morning were average to be fair, but the staff were very attentive and quick to serve.

our room was very nice and quiet, turn down service was good and room service very good also. the bathroom was clean and the bed comfortable, for the price the hotel was very good value for money.

we would come back as the overall experience was very nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
clairepj, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for posting such a positive review following your recent visit to the Best Western Lansdowne Hotel on a Groupon deal. We much appreciate your kind comments concerning both the hotel and its staff.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel on some other occasion.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

we have stayed a few times now at the Lansdowne hotel and have always been pleased with the service ,food & the room.The prices too are very reasonable. Looking forward to our next stay later this year.

Room Tip: we like the top floor the 3rd one
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
clairepj, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for posting such a complimentary review on the hotel. It is particularly satisfying when guests such as yourselves return time and again and find the standard of service we provide to be consistently good and at reasonable prices.

I am delighted that you will be visiting us again later in the year, and thank you once again for taking the time to review the hotel.
Rhymney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

An outstanding stay, great comfort,, exceptionally friendly staff and great service. We stayed over the new year period for the second year and could not fault the standards of the hotel. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
clairepj, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
I was delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us over the new year period and hope you will be here to see 2014 in!

Thanks for taking the time to give us such a positive review.

Been to BEST WESTERN Lansdowne Hotel? Share your experiences!