“Not that Big, not much Sleep” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Big Sleep Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Big Sleep Hotel to your Saves list
The Big Sleep Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Lansdowne Terrace | King Edwards Parade, Eastbourne BN21 4EB, England   |
Ranked #31 of 41 hotels in Eastbourne
Cambridge
“Not that Big, not much Sleep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We booked the Big Sleep for 2 nights whilst attending a friends wedding in Sussex. From the website and the £75 per room per night (double) price tag I naively assumed this would offer me a similar level of comfort and decor that would have Lenny Henry grinning from ear to ear.

The reality was somewhat different. For a kick off the website states on-street parking available, they didn't mention this being an additional £2.50 per day, having to keep going out and changing the ticket each morning and driving up and down for 20 minutes looking for a space. In fairness, this is somewhat out of their control.

After shoe-horning the hatchback into a parking space we made our approach. The first thing I saw was a hastily assembled chalkboard advertising nightly rates of around £30 less than I had paid. I thought initially that maybe some local schoolboys were playing a prank on us. This turned out to not be the case.

Onto the hotel itself: if you squinted your eyes you could see the effect they were going for - trendy, kitch and contemporary. Sadly, although 80's prints, block colours and (rather inexplicably) shagpile curtains are bang in fashion, it's less effective if it looks like it has been there for nearly 3 decades. Having said that, it was very clean and the bed comfortable.

Our stay consisted of a Friday and Saturday night (or Weekend if you like). On the Friday there was a considerable amount of noise until around 1 am caused by a party being held in some kind of Discoteque in the hotel basement. There may or may not have been noise on the Saturday however, as eagle eyed readers will already have spotted, I was attending a wedding. I have to be honest and say I was showing off slightly and over did it on the pre-reception Champagne, table wine and a decent amount of premium strength lager. Thus, I was either totally unaware of any noise, or contributing to it.

The aftermath of my Wedding behaviour leads me onto the next point, a 10:30am check-out is pretty early and I am sure I am not the only one to have called down to reception at 10:27, still fully clothed to pay £10 for an extra 90 minutes in bed.

All-in-all, the Big Sleep is in a good location, is clean and has pretty surly staff. The reality is that it could be a bit nicer for the money and added extras you are charged.

I suppose you could say the Big Sleep seems a little tired...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Gravesend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I stayed her with my partner and 2 children for one night in august. I didn't know about parking outside the hotel and had to go in and ask before we parked the car properly. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. The family rooms are a good size and the beds comfortable. We also had a good sea view .I think they need to get he decorators in though because the rpooms could do with somwe work. There were place where paint was coming off the walls and ceilings. The faux fur curtain was horrible! I can't complain about the price though, £79 for 2 adults and 2 children with breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I was very fortunate to be allocated a room at the Big Sleep Hotel, Eastbourne whilst participating in the town's "Air-bourne" festival in August. The comfort and welcome were outstanding!

The hotel is ideally located on the sea front, within immediate reach of walks by the beach and conveniently within reach (about 2 miles) of Beachy Head for the more adventurous walker/runner. Restaurants, pubs, nightlife and the pier are also a fairly short distance away, although the relatively mellow vibe of Eastbourne ensured that this was by no means a bad thing!

The rooms are basic but comfortable and the hotel's boutique feel and eclectic decor adds an air of quality that sets it above similarly priced budget hotels.

The breakfast that we received during our stay was without doubt one of the best I have ever tasted and I suspect the chef is on the cusp of her first Michelin star! The dining room was well appointed to cater for all guest's needs.

Probably the most appealing feature of The Big Sleep was the warm welcome that we received from the very personable staff. They were all polite and efficient, yet relaxed and engaging making for an very pleasant atmosphere. All were extremely attractive and remained well-presented despite working long hours to ensure our comfort.

An excellent stay. When visiting Eastbourne, the Big Sleep will always be my first choice for accommodation.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011 via mobile

Rooms and hotel is a little quirky and that adds to its charm. Feels like it needs a bit of a sprucing up.

• Stayed August 2011
Itunesjamie
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

My son had booked for two nights at cost of £100. He left after only one night due to endless noise from uncontrolled foreign students running a mock in the hotel having room parties. Tried to get assistance from reception no one responded. My son checked out after the first night hotel refused to reimburse the payment for the second night. Basically paid £100 for a night of screaming , doors banging and unprofessional staff.
The manager did follow up on the complaint offered a night in a suite with a bottle of wine.
Responded to the offer by email to the manager, who has never responded to my email??? Strange approach to customer service. DONT BOTHER WASTE OF MONEY.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

The Room was Big and Light, room 113. Nice bathroom/wet room, paid £99 for the night, not really worth the money though. Breakfast is continental, prefer Full English, not much selection!! Pros: nice big bed/t.v nice bathroom, decor lovely retro design. Cons: Boring Breakfast, dodgy faux fur curtains (looked very cheap), bit pricey for what it is (Eastbourne).

Room Tip: Go for bigger room if you can afford a bit more
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011 via mobile

We booked our first ever stay at The Big Sleep hotel, Eastbourne July 2011 through Late rooms .com and was offered an offer of a suite which we snapped up and oh my how pleased we were that we did decide on. We have stayed at many hotels across the globe from Riu, Sheraton and Lewis group but we were so surprised at the ambiance and the whole package that Big Sleep offers and would recommend a suite stay to anyone that wishes a restful and comfortable stay at reasonable cost. The staff were the Ace cars, Evira is so professional on reception helped by Sharaz ( hope spelling correct?) nothing is too much trouble with a warm smile. We were also impressed by the Manageress and her hands on approach so as to ensure every guest enjoys their stay, again helpful and runs a very fine tuned hotel in great staff, cleanliness and nothing a problem!!!
Tried hard to find fault and if wanted to be pickie, the hotel doesn't offer cooked breakfast BUT do not be detered because the continental is lovely with a mixture of fresh hot croissants, cereals cheese, toast. Yoghurts all in abundance and no one will go hungry. I can only highly recommend this hotel and look forward to booking our return stay in August. Thank you to everyone at The Big Sleep Hotel Eastbourne for a lovely relaxing stay. Here's to many more of these hotels in the coming years.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to The Big Sleep Hotel? Share your experiences!