“UNIQUE PROPERTY WITH PRIVACY” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 429, Paynes Bay, Barbados   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Paynes Bay
“UNIQUE PROPERTY WITH PRIVACY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Beautiful property situated directly on the beautiful, long white sand beach on the West Coast of Barbados. Bus stop is in front of hotel with buses to take up in either directions; either to the City of Bridgetown--a 15 minute ride or to nearest shopping area called Sunset Crest which is a 5 minute ride away.

The hotel design is of various "separate" areas which offer utmost privacy with more than 1 swimming pool. The rooms are sufficiently well appointed and the staff is very accommodating. The breakfast is incredibly good with a variety of breakfast items for every taste and diet.

There is a jewelry shop, clothing, beauty parlor and miscellaneous items shops on the premises. However, right across the street from the hotel, there's a gas station with a convenience store so you can stock up on snacks and drinks. BTW, you can purchase liquor in the supermarkets in Barbados. Suggest you buy your liquor at supermarket, especially the local rum, which is cheaper there than at the duty free.

Overall, the hotel is perfectly located on a very nice beach. There are several top tier restaurants in the vicinity as there are less expensive ones nearby also. There's a fast food joint not far away called CHEFETTE sort of the U.S. version of McDonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken, but you've never tasted chicken line the one in Chefette--well seasoned and delicious!

Oh, hurricane months are approx. July thru October, but not to worry...Barbados is below sea level so most hurricanes just blow over the island with very little impact. Also when it rains, it's usually for a short period of time and the sun comes right back out.

Hope these tips are helpful.

Room Tip: Obviously, ocean front, but all rooms in this hotel are nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Consett
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for my fathers wedding. The location and venue were picked by them and we came along for the wedding.
I have to stay this is the type of hotel I would have chosen to stay in if I was picking the hotel myself.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by a Friendly Bellman collecting our luggage and further greeted by staff ready to check us in. Whilst we were filling the necessaries in we were given a lovely rum punch. Refreshing and full of rum!! More rum than juice I think!
The lovely Antonia, checked us in and took care of us. To our surprise we were told that we had been comlimentary upgraded to a junior ocean view suite. We had originally reserved a garden view room. This was a fantastic surprise and didn't disappoint.
We were taken to our room, which looked out over the main pool and sea. I was a bit apprehensive as I had seen previous reviews saying dont have a room overlooking the main pool, as the noise from kids was too much. I have to say this wasn't the case for us. The kids that were there weren't even noisy!!
The room was lovely, spacious,with modern decor and a massive bed. We had our own sofa and the balcony was big with it's own lounger, two chairs and table. The bathroom was equally modern and tastefully decorated.
I am a sun worshiper, the weather was fantastic. I took endless dips in the main pool and the sea. Sun loungers are the best I've laid on. Pool is decorated with modern outdoor furniture. The hotel also provide you with towels for the loungers. A great touch or no extra cost.
Tip- where the main pool is if you walk down to the beach from there, there are quite a few rocks in the sea there. You can get up to your knees before encountering the rocks. However if you walk a little to your left to the watersports equipment centre, the sea bed is completely flat, lovely to walk in and float around.
We were here for my fathers wedding. The ceremony took place on the garden area overlooking the sea. From the reverend to the steel pan band, it was lovely. The sun was shining, the service by the reverend was heartwarming and the traditional Caribbean steel pan was music to my ears. A lush setting. The wedding co-ordinator, Sophia was great. She even arranged for some wedding cake to be sent to our room for later. It was sealed with cling film and fresh strawberries added. Lovely touch. Wedding cake was extremely chocolatey and the iced cake decoration was impressive. There were only 4 of us at the wedding, very intimate and the hotel catered for that very well. Flowers provided were also stunning with varieties of tropicals gingers and anthuriums. Gorgeous and stunning.
I was wary of breakfast due to some bad reviews saying service was slow for tea and coffee. This was not the case for us. Always promptly seated and our teas, coffees followed within a couple of minutes. Every staff member was helpful, friendly and quickly took away your finished plates.
We ate in both the 246 restaurant and the 246 bar. The restaurant is a a la carte style menu. Very nice food, even the chef came out to speak to us. Lovely touch. Food in the 246 bar is great, my favourite was the Cobb salad with chicken and the beefburger is big and beautiful.
Staff at the 246 are very friendly and attentive. Randy, Clinton, and mark to name but a few all made our stay very pleasurable.
The hotel has nightly entertainment of music, from traditional steel pan to jazz and pop.
Please be advised the hotel does have a dress code of "elegantly casual" for meals in the 246 restaurant. For men this means trousers and collared shirts, not t- shirt(presume round neck). My hubby took linen trousers, perfect for the climate. If you dine outside of the hotel, do ask if the restaurants have dress codes As you will find most do.
We stayed mostly at the hotel as were only out for the week. We did catch the bus to hole-town. This is one US dollar or two Bajan dollars.
Tip- get on a blue bus and not the yellows bus. The yellow bus is lets shall we say rowdy, music played loudly and basically like a party bus. If you fancy it, try it! But I found the blue bus far quiter and a more pleasant experience.
Holetown is small, two shopping malls, one very expensive with Louis Vuitton, Ralph Lauren etc and the other mall is cheaper with plenty of souvenir buys.
Overall I enjoyed our stay a lot.
This is my first visit to Barbados and I hope to return. Heaven.

Room Tip: Ocean view junior suite!!
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

You travel for eight hours in a plane; you get hot around the edges on a transfer coach...and then you get dropped off at the Tamarind Hotel. Things look up immediately when a smiling face says "Can I get you a drink? Sit on the sofa and relax while I bring it to you." Moments later a long, cool, ice-laden rum punch is pressed into your hand. You sip, you look around the reception area and out to a teasing glimpse of sand and sea. You've arrived. Soon you are in a spotless room with a bed large enough to have a day out on. The sheets are crisp and white, the bathroom has a shower and a separate bath. The towels are soft. This, I think to myself, is Heaven - but with palm trees.
I had done plenty of homework before I booked and I knew that the Tamarind was excellent value for money. But, to use the hackneyed phrase, my expectations were exceeded. What's not to like? Breakfast is only limited by your imagination, the coffee is good and hot, dinner on the 246 deck is straight out of a romantic novel..."they looked into each other's eyes as soft music played and the waves lapped against the shore under a star-studded blue velvet sky".
But enough of that. The hotel backs onto a fantastic beach and there are enough water sports (mostly free) to keep even the most fidgetty guest amused. Yet it's the little touches that make the Tamarind so good; the cool towels brought out to your sunbed so that you can mop your brow; the free (and very welcome) ice creams in the afternoon; the way that the staff look out for your needs; the sheets changed every other day on your bed; the always fresh towels. I could go on but that would be a eulogy. Suffice to say that I cannot think of a single thing I didn't like about the Tamarind and I really do want to go back again as soon as I can afford it. And trust me, I've not got shares in the place. I just want you all to know what a gem this is.

Room Tip: We had a sea-facing room but the pool-facing ones looked good too. If you're troubled by noise t...
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We decided to stay here based on the mainly positive reviews on TA but we were a little tentative incase the few negative ones were accurate. Fortunately the positive ones are a fair reflection of the hotel and we had a very enjoyable stay.

From the moment we arrived the Staff created and maintained a welcoming, friendly and efficient approach. Particular thanks should go to Melissa on the beach team, Randy on the Bar and Ether who is a great egg chef at breakfast! Tanya on the desk was also very helpful.

The location is excellent - lovely beach with good watersports to hand. One point to note - there are many trips you can pay for to go and see the turtles that gather offshore, but a bit of persistent snorkelling just on the beach and you will very likely encounter one for free on a regular basis. Stay near the reefs in the middle of the bay where they feed.

The food is very good and we particularly liked the fact you could have anything delivered to your sunbed on the beach if you are as lazy as us! Very good beach drinks service too. We found the staff unrelentingly helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

Towards the end of our trip there was a problem with water pressure into our room and the approach of the whole staff regarding this matter was very customer focused. A duty manager came to our room late one evening to explain everything - the problem was actually one of supply to the hotel itself so out of their control, but they did everything they could to help and I noticed a massive tanker of water being delivered the next day as a stop gap measure.

I felt the way the hotel approached this matter was very professional and a good example of how to minimise the impact on guests. Despite this a hotel manager offered to buy us lunch by way of apology - thank you Kim!

Much has been said on here explaining the facilities - generally they are excellent - sometimes with a typical Barbados hint towards a tiny bit ragged around the edges, but you get that everywhere on the island (just have a look at the entrance to Sandy Lane - desperately needs painting!). On the whole the hotel has a really nice feel to it - lots of different nooks and crannies and we enjoyed just strolling around.

The gardens are really nice - loads of variety and very lush, lots of big trees which offer much needed shade, and a great backdrop to the beach. There are 3 pools, each one different in character, and although they are a bit small, with the hotel full they never felt over-used.

Many very good restaurants fall easily to hand - Daphne's next door is good, as is Scarlett's right across the road. The Cliff is just up the road - expensive but a very big wow factor. The local bus takes you to Holetown where there are loads of bars and restaurants to choose from - the Sunday night street karioke is a hoot! Many locals as well as tourists - a good mix.

Our room was very comfortable and well equipped - we had generous towel changes and a good turn down service every night. Based on what we saw paying a bit more for a definite sea view would get you a better room, although those around the "rilax" pool seemed to have a nice aspect too. The gardens and decks are so extensive and look right over the beach so everyone can enjoy the sea view through the day.

There is a two hour "happy hour" every day when all drinks are half price - this helped our budget!

All in all a lovely place to stay and we fully intend to return.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Tamarind is in a great location in a very nice bay. Its rather typical of most of the West Coast Hotels we have stayed at over the last few years. Generally pretty good, but requiring a makeover. They all seem to lave it a little long.
We had a junior suite with the ocean only feet away. Greaqt location and view. It looks like it had had some recent refurbishment, but the bathroom seemed like it hadn't been touched for a while which was a shame.

Breakfast was pretty good with plenty of variety and freshly made eggs and omelets.
service was somewhat patchy. We especially did not like the first welcoming question most days which was "Room Number?"--"Good Morning" would be a better start.

--Apart from breakfast, we very rarely dined in the hotel, preferring to sample the wonderful local restaurants- However we did have one evening meal at the hotel which was very good--oustanding fish very well served by attentive staff.
--It must be verry tough trying to compete with the local restaurants for dinner.
Twice we had a snack lunch, One was good, the other distinctly average.
Pros:
Location, great watersports, very helpful staff (mostly).Maid service very good. Bar staff know their cocktails. Free WiFi even worked on the beach!
Cons:
Decor is patchy.--its all looking a bit tatty around the edges--feels about 10 years out of date.
Would we return? --Maybe if they updated the fabric of the building.

Room Tip: Ocean View worth extra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I'm glad to see some more positive reviews. I agree the hotel isn't opulent however you cannot fault the location, the standard of service and friendliness of all the staff. We travelled with our 3 young boys 5,4,3 who loved the hotel and were made so welcome by the staff they were called the 'fun boys'
We are retuning this year on the request of our children who talk about Barbados and the hotel every day.
We have a hotel on a beautiful beach, a room with a fabulous sea view, on a lovely part of the Island which caters for all our needs fantastically.

• Stayed July 2012
Short Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I just returned from a fabulous week at the Tamarind. The Tamarind was wonderful in every material respect. Our junior suite though not opulent was spacious, well appointed, flat screen, fridge, etc with ample closet and drawer space, two vanities, comfortable bed with quality linens. The room was always cleaned with fresh towels and turn down service at night. The resort itself is spotless and the grounds nicely maintained with staff constantly keeping up with the guests.
The main pool is small compared to mega resorts/all inclusives and if this is what you want this is not your resort. There are ample lounges and very comfortable chairs at the pool with the very nice bar close by. The beach directly in front of the pool is not deep but is nicely shaded with the beach to the south much deeper and the water more inviting as its sandy rather than part of the reef as the area in front of the pool. Bare in mind this is one continuous beach divided by trees a few feet away from each other The beach itself is terrifically maintained, security present though not at all an issue and the water crystal clear. The water sports equipment are tons of fun and surprisingly available and the staff, as throughout the resort, great.

The buffet breakfast was wonderful. Excellent coffee, first rate baked goods, made to order eggs, local entries and the usual suspects. I'm pretty particular and you really couldn't ask for more. Yes, as some complained birds fly about. Your eating outside in magnificent weather, looking at the sea. Don't fret, Its not a Hitchcock movie. Food at lunch was also very good and fairly priced but the service was slow. My one complaint. The bartenders as with all the staff were great and drinks also nicely priced with happy hour 4-6.

This really is a very well run small resort with friendly and accommodating staff, well priced and delivering what they promise and I can readily see why they have people coming back year after year. I'm looking forward to my return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Tamarind by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!