My husband & I ended up in the Tamarind by default. We had originally chosen the Treasure Beach next door (primarily due to the size - it only has 35 suites) but due to a water problem we were moved to the Tamarind Cove, which (co-incidentally) had been our 2nd choice.
We were very impressed with the welcome at check in, from the cold towels and rum punch to the plethora of information from the staff. There is a lovely view straight through reception to the ocean which is a very welcoming sight especially if (under normal circumstances) you have just come from the airport. The guy who showed us to our room was very thorough, pointing out where everything was located and showing us how all the lighting worked as there seemed to be several options. There was also a docking station which was useful. The room was large & comfortable with an ocean view and the loungers on the balcony were as comfortable as the sofa in the room.
The staff were friendly and helpful. On one occasion the air conditioning unit in the room seemed a little noisy, so I mentioned it to reception and it was quickly rectified. At the cocktail party, where they served some tasty canapes, the staff made a point of talking to everyone to ensure they were enjoying their stay and asking if they had any issues. I had never experienced such a pro-active approach before. More to the point, I didn't hear anyone complaining.
The hotel is in a lovely location right on the beach. There are some licensed beach sellers but they are friendly and don't hassle you. The sun loungers are very comfortable and the offer of an occasional cold towel, fruit kebab or ice lolly was very welcome. We didn't use the spa but the access to our room was past the spa pool. Although we didn't use it, this looked like a lovely relaxing, peaceful area with comfortable sun loungers.
We stayed on a half board basis. There was a good selection at the breakfast buffet although some of the fruit was tinned which may not appeal to everyone. The chef who cooked the eggs was in constant demand and did a great job turning out excellent poached & fried eggs, omelettes and every conceivable alternative simultaneously.
We had only two slight issues which bothered us -both at breakfast. When you are shown to your table, the order is taken for tea/coffee. Sometimes it doesn't arrive - not a big problem- I do have a tongue in my head. However, on our last morning it took 4 requests before the drinks arrived with the waitress explaining that they had make fresh coffee!! It doesn't quite explain how the occupants of the four tables around us, who had been seated after us, had all been served their drinks - but it is the Carribean &, to a certain extent, you just go with the flow.
The other issue - the birds. My tip - ensure someone remains at the table on bird watch as they will land on the crockery/cutlery & eat & drink anything accessible. The hotel management could help by ensuring that all vacated tables are cleared as quickly as possible - this varied quite a lot during our stay. It is not a major problem and it was much worse on a previous trip to Barbados when we stayed at a different hotel but there is no doubt that the birds are opportunists & all offerings will be gratefully received!
There were no such issues at dinner when we had friendly, efficient service and tasty, well presented food. One particular cheesecake was exquisite - & we don't usually eat dessert. We did enjoy some meals more than others but that is really down to personal taste.
There are restaurants in the area although I would be reluctant to walk to any (other than Daphnes which is beside the hotel) as the road is very busy.
All in all we had a very enjoyable stay and hope to return to the Tamarind in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tamarind rests on a 750-foot crescent of premium West Coast white sand beach and is as family-friendly as it is an exclusive adult hideaway. Tamarind features contemporary guestrooms, an intimate spa and relaxation space and two restaurants. Contemporary sun loungers, day beds and decks, transform outdoor spaces into outdoor 'living rooms' providing flexible spaces for dining, drinking, relaxing and events. Complimentary features include: motorized and non-motorized watersports, daily buffet breakfast, WiFi in rooms and throughout property, fitness center and classes and water taxi to other Elegant Hotels' west coast properties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Regatta Hotels and Hotels.com so you can book your Tamarind by Elegant Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarind By Elegant Hotel Paynes Bay
- Tamarind Cove Saint James
- Tamarind Cove Barbados
- Hotel Tamarind Cove
- Tamarind By Elegant Hotels Barbados/Saint James Parish