“Just Booked” 2 of 5 stars
Review of St. George Gardens Hotel Suites

Save Saved
You added St. George Gardens Hotel Suites to your Saves list
St. George Gardens Hotel Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Chlorakas Village | PO Box 62372, Chlorakas 8063, Cyprus   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Chlorakas
Cowley, United Kingdom
“Just Booked”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I am surprised by the very different reviews on here for the ST George Gardens, I have just booked for myself and two children for July 2013 and am now left feeling confused, is it really that bad??? We have stayed in some very expensive hotels in the past and was not expecting it to be as grand but surely it must at least live up to the 3 stars it quotes, also have read some where that the hotel is being refurbished this October does any one else know about this??
I have always traveled with Thompson and first choice and have never had cause for complaint, but most of the reviews on here are really making me wounder if I should change to some where else?? Any one have advice or have changed based on these review??

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ringwood, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

What a disappointment ... Booked as a 4 star premium all inclusive holiday package ( with use of sister hotel St George bars and restaurants) to turn up to a run down what should be 2 star hotel with NO option to use bars and restaurants at sister hotel St George if your all inclusive .... How misleading and mis sold. In the process of writing my complaints for which lets face it is a breech of contract for we signed up for.

Rooms were ok although floors were filthy. Not what you expect if you've booked 4 star. Smelly toilets and uncomfortable beds.

Pool area had broken tiles ( nightmare if you have kids) get your towels ready real early every morning as everyone claims them I would assume in the middle of the night!

The plus side..... Food was nice, salads lovely although very samey.
Entrainment team did a good job but very child based and repetitive.

The weather was amazing.

I would advise if you have booked this hotel to revise it and see what rating it is still at as heard its been down graded which it needs to be to around a 2 star and to double check what you are entitled too if all inclusive and expecting to eat and drink at St George as you wont be able too. Hotel in desperate need of a refurb and such a let down to what it has been sold as.

Thompson/first choice rep at hotel casually admitted that most holiday makers make the same complaints of star rating and mix up of all inclusive between the 2 hotels.. And finished by saying ... 'oh well moving on'.... Yeah Now that we have our £4000 for this dump.!!

What a let down.

Room Tip: Don't go full stop
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

If you booked up prior to May this year and was expecting a 4* and to be able to use the facilities of the ajoining hotel change it !!! or be prepared to very dissappointed. We were expecting to be staying in a 4* hotel, on a really good day this hotel is a very average 3* Food was awful and like eating at a greasy spoon cafe.Its not that that child friendly if you have a couple of little ones to look after, the entertainments is based around the ampitheatre,its uncomfrtable dangerous for little ones,close to the pool and the park, the park backs on to an open pubic pathway and is protected by a three foot fence relaxing this was not. Dont upgrade to the sea view its not worth it !

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 weeks in July with my husband and 2 kids 6 + 3. On pulling up in coach from transfer coach left us at the end of a large driveway and offered my husband no help getting 3 large suitcases and buggy from coach! After finally checking in the reception just offered us directions and showed us where the lift was. Room was very spacious and there was a kitchenette with fridge, however no water was left for us. Pool area was very poor, not child friendly with broken tiles around the pool and inside the pool too! Beach cannot be described as a beach at all and was indeed in front of the at George hotel next door. The entertainment team were fantastic and worked very hard indeed. Food was poor, and the childrens menu comprised of chips, sausages and nuggets every night. The nightly entertainment area was dangerous for thechildren as it was held in a concrete amphitheatre, my heart was in my mouth most nights as my children went up and down the steps. I feel this holiday was completely sold wrong to us as we booked a premier holiday and the at George gardens is definitely not 4 star more like 2 star!!

• Stayed July 2012
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Having read previous reviews about the mix up with the use of facilities between the hotel and the gardens we were not expecting to enjoy our holiday and nearly cancelled before we went.

I have to say that I am glad we decided to go and we had an excellent holiday overall. Upon arrival late at night we were allocated a room near the reception which was very spacious and plenty of storage space - one of the best we have had.

We had no problem getting sunbeds during the day, the bar staff were extremely friendly and worked hard. The daily entertainment team worked hard and got everybody involved, but the only complaint I have about the entertainment is that the evening shows were only on a weekly rotation, so if you were staying for 2 weeks you saw the repeated shows, which weren't that good the first time round, but hey ho; it's what you have to expect in hotels catering for the masses, it certainly didn't spoil our holiday.

I must say though the design of the evening entertainment in the amplitheater is not brilliant, kids were constantly running across the stage show along with adults going to the bar and the team had to watch were they danced so that they didn't knock into people. Perhaps the entertainment should be moved back to the hotel as the staff must be sick of the intrusion during their shows.

The weather was extremely hot and the air con was a welcome break from the stifling heat. We hired a car for 4 days which took us all over the island - please note that you can not take a car over the border into the Turkish side and if you want to go on the rougher roads you will need to hire a jeep or 4x4 as the insurance company won't insure you if you go off road in a normal car.

I am not sure if I have been to the same hotel as some other people who have wrote reviews as we found the food to be very good, there was an excellent choice and we were not rushed by the staff, but perhaps some parents should monitor their kids better to ensure that they are not left to wander around picking up the food, tasting it and then after squeezing it putting it down for others to eat!!

Overall we had a better holiday that what we expected, we went with an open mind and were pleasantly surprised.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Newport -Trefdraeth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Haven't even been to the hotel yet, we are due to fly late next month but in between booking our holiday and wedding package last September they have changed the hotel from a premier, they assured us that nothing has changed in the package and we will get everything we paid for which was fine until one day l decided to check trip adviser again and saw a lot of people complaining about what they stung us for, they failed to tell us that we can no longer use our all inclusive facility's in the sister hotel which you could up until may this year, when asking them about this they told me that there is now entertainment provided in the gardens but this entertainment is in an amphitheatre which in my opinion is not child friendly as all I'd be doing all night with my 2 year old son is trying to stop him climb the concrete slabs to make sure he doesn't fall and break his neck, we booked this hotel on the grounds that the entertainment was in the sister hotel as it states in there most up to date brochure.
I've contacted first choice shop about this who could do absolutely nothing but they told me to write a letter and they will give it to the area manager, within 7 days of doing this l received a phone call from Thompsons head office apologising for any inconvenience, he then told me that he has investigated the matter and come to the conclusion that somewhere down the line there has been a miss communication between myself and the sales woman in the shop so as a gesture of goodwill they offered £200 compensation, which in my opinion is not enough, between the four of us in my family and over 14 nights were staying for gives us £3.50 a night for drinks to see the entertainment in the sister hotel, l was then told to write another letter and send it back directly to the head office so he could investigate it further and talk to there legal team, no reply come back from that so l phoned them on a number he provided and he told me there was nothing else he could do, so if your thinking of booking this hotel with first choice beware, our wedding and holiday has turned out to be a nightmare and that's before we get there, thank you first choice for ripping us off

• Stayed July 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

starting with the positives ..... the rooms are big and spacious, okay they might not be modern, but they are really clean and for a family enough room to move about and not be on top of each other. found the gardens to be kept clean and well tended, lovely grassy areas to chill out on, no problems finding a sunbed either on the grass or around the pool. Pool was clean and any maintenance sorted out quickly
the negatives ..... sorry but the standard of food is equivalent to hospital food, unimaginative and bland, often soaked in oil. poor kids always had either fishfingers, chicken nuggets or horrendous hot dogs (made of god knows what) for every meal. the salads were poor quality.
having visited Cyprus for 8 years now and having never had a poor accomodation experience we were bitterly disappointed by the st george "allotments" as we called them.
the staff in the dining room would try to clear your plate before you had even finished, everything was rushed to get you out of hte dining room as soon as possible. i would never stay here again on that basis.
one other plus was the entertainment team who did a fantastic job with the kids and variety, it is such a shame that the food (a core part of all inclusive) let this hotel down. i am also unhappy with first choice for misrepresenting the hotel and allotments - if you do go to the hotel - beware - you will be charged for any drinks, so its not a sister hotel - its more expense .
mind you - do what someone did to us - charge your drinks to another room - they have no way of proving it was you or not, just sign something ridiculous and they cant charge you !!!
the location is well described and paphos and coral bay are easily accessible on the bus - all day ticket for adults just 3E- cheap

Room Tip: dont get the room below the bar like we did, you hear bar chairs scraping all night - keeps you awak...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to St. George Gardens Hotel Suites? Share your experiences!