“A hotel that grows on you” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Room Rate
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Ang Thong
London, United Kingdom
“A hotel that grows on you”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed for 8 nights at the end of August. Our stay didn't start so well. The resort is even more beautiful than you expect from the website and the rooms are very well done, some of the best we have ever stayed in.

However, the initial disappointments were first the sea: when we were there, the tides were low and water visibility pretty much zero. The hotel does the best it can to mitigate this and you could get out past the reef to the swimming platform using kayaks whenever you want to, but not being able to see anything in the water was a bit disappointing when you have been looking forward to a great beach holiday.

That's outside the hotel's control. The food is not. The first night we ate at the beautiful restaurant down by the beach and really wanted to have good Thai food. However, that restaurant serves so-so, ersatz Mediterranean food in the evenings at double London prices. Struggled to find anything on the menu which we felt like eating and then got stung by a bill for several hundred pounds for two adults and four children. We found out later, when a member of staff told us, that you can have Thai food in this restaurant from the lunch menu in the evenings, but you have to ask specially. The Thai food at lunch time is good, but not great, and the short menu gets a bit repetitive after more than a few days. The Thai food at Lan Tania, the restaurant on top of the hill, was also good in the evenings, but again not great. Given how long Four Seasons has been in Thailand and how good the food is at some of its other hotels in the country, I'm surprised they could not do better here.

Breakfast the next day was also OK, but not amazing, and way below the standard of a hotel like The Oriental in Bangkok, where we had come from. The buffet is tailored to western appetites - good bread, fruit, cheese, bacon, eggs and all that stuff. My daughters ordered some dim sum off the menu, which were OK but cost an extra £10 each. Why charge extra for a few dim sum or a bowl of noodle soup at breakfast when most hotels at this level in south-east Asia would automatically include such things in the standard breakfast buffet?

The next evening, we asked the concierge to recommend a good local Thai restaurant. She sent us to Jun Hong, a place about 20 minutes away. It was certainly cheap - bill for six came to less then one main course at the Four Seasons - but was the worst food we ate during a three week trip round Asia and had chaotic service. After that we stopped asking the concierge for recommendations, and instead asked the hotel drivers where they would suggest locally. The drivers turned out to be much more reliable, and recommended a place called Haad Bang Po closer to the hotel, also on the beach with good Thai food and very friendly if not very polished service. We got there to find it full of other people from the Four Seasons, who had all had similar experiences to us. If you feel like Western food, which we didn't, the other guests/boat operators/dive shop all swore by The Shack in Bophut. We tried The Happy Elephant across the street from The Shack which was fun with average Thai food. Maybe Samui has grown so much and so fast that all the restaurants are having having trouble finding and hanging onto good chefs?

On water sports, the concierge was pretty useless as well. Her only real interest was in persuading us to charter a boat privately, which as we wanted to go snorkelling would have been a waste of time and money if there was no water visibility. The concierge had no idea what visibility would be like and suggested we charter a boat to find out... We ended up going on a shared boat trip to Angthong - meant to be max of 12 people on the boat, but there were 14 on ours - which was a good day out, but not great snorkelling. After that we organised diving ourselves directly with the nearest reputable dive shop. The water visibility up at Koh Tao was good, but it's a pretty bumpy hour and a quarter each way by speed boat to get there, plus 20 minutes by car to the dive shop (The Dive Academy at the Bandara Resort) from the Four Seasons.

They are the gripes. However, the hotel's good features, of which there are many, grow on you. As you would expect at a Four Seasons, the service is flawless: endless fresh towels, cold drinks and things to nibble at on the beach; in our experience buggies were always there when you wanted them, with minimal waiting (and the hotel seemed pretty full while we were there); putting the food to one side, the service in the restaurants was very friendly and efficient; plenty of space on the beach; amazingly well landscaped and maintained grounds.

After a few days in this environment, the gripes fall into perspective, or you forget about them, and it becomes a very relaxing and enjoyable place to be. Our final bill was not as bad as I had been expecting, but then maybe the initial sticker shock about some of the more predatory pricing had made us more careful then we would normally be. So an own goal for Four Seasons.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
FSKohSamui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear accowley:

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to hear that the tides as well as water visibility were not ideal during the time of your visit. I am also concerned to learn that we fell short of your expectation for concierge knowledge and recommendation, for which I am truly sorry. I have shared your comments with our Assistant Director of Rooms in order for him to address the concerning issues. Please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience you may have experienced.

Your comments regarding our menu selection and pricing were taken note of and I will certainly review it with our Executive Chef to see how we can improve in suggested areas.

Nevertheless, in spite of these shortfalls, I am happy that we were able to provide you with a relaxing and enjoyable stay. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and hope to see you back.

Lubosh Barta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Nicosia, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Beautiful location and nature is lush and surroundings all kept very clean . Sand soft and sea clean. Service of the hotel is excellent although a few details that seem too corporate and staff a little impersonal. Food very good throughout hotel from morning to evening. Loved the lunches by the pool.

overall a great holiday that we enjoyed even more as the weather kept nice in July!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear marina f:

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your stay with us. I am happy to see that overall you had a great holiday at our Resort. However, I am disappointed to read that you felt the services received were not personalized. I would like to hear more about your experiences and would be grateful if you can drop me an email at lubosh.barta@fourseasons.com at your convenience.

kewpielovesyou
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

the first thing you see about this property is the hilltop 'welcome'. go past these tall, narrow doors and you'd find yourself perched on top of a hill with the most amazing view! it is so so so impressive! it's hard to even describe without being there but if you talk about first impressions, these guys have got it right.

everywhere you go, it pretty much requires a quick call to the buggy service to take you around. we've never had to wait more than 2-5 mins for it to come to our villa. it's not how i like to get around (i do love walking), but it is such a sprawling property that it's easier just to rely on the buggy service - my son also loves going down the steep hills in them!

the rooms are generously sized. separately sleeping, dressing and bathroom areas... with floor to ceiling windows that let natural light in! best part is, the bathroom is all inside! none of that outside shower business which i tend not to prefer cos of the tropics (flies and mossies).

service is attention and not intrusive. the restaurants onsite are also excellent and reasonably priced.

the staff all knew my son by name from the get go and this really added a touch of personalisation to the whole trip.

we loved every minute we were there. i am a four seasons convert!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
FSKohSamui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear kewpielovesyou:

I am so happy to see that we were able to provide you and your family with a personalized stay. Thank you so much for your kind comments that you made about our Resort here on TripAdvidor. We look forward to welcoming all of you back again soon!

Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We visited the resort because my son and his Thai fiancee had chosen it to get married. The arrangements made for the wedding were faultless and it will long live in my memory as one of the greatest experiences of my life. That said.....
Situated some half an hour drive from the airport, The Four Seasons Resort is not so much a hotel, but a paceful hillside village but with all the five star amenities that you need.
The resort is situated on a steep, horseshoe-shaped hillside that leads down to its own private beaches. Transport is provided with an ample supply of golf buggies that are always available, day or night via a phone call from your room.
In fact, they are not rooms but discretely separated bungalows that are slotted into the vegetation covered hillside. Each bugalow is exquiitely laid out with sensational views from the covered balconies and each with its own infinity pool.
The beach has a pool, a bar and a full restaurant and sevice levels on the beach are outstanding.
At the top of the resort is the front desk,another full restaurant with a large platform giving outstanding views over the resort and out to sea. If anyone could find a more beautiful location for breakfasting with the lovely light breezes and outstanding food, I would like to know where it is.
Service levels throughout the resort are of the quality that you would expect from a Four Seasons establishment......outstanding. From buggy drivers to gardeners, the staff were always friendly and welcoming and certainly knew a lot more English than I did Thai, I'm embarrassed to say.
This is a place to go for pure relaxation and to dismiss the cares of the world. My dodctor will be pleased to know that for the four days of our stay, my blood pressure was normal for the first time in two years! Need I say more.
A must to return to.

Room Tip: I see no special advantage to any of the "rooms". Possibly being close to the beach might...
Dear Daalekuk:

I truly appreciate how well you captured our Resort in your review. At Four Seasons, we endeavor to create a special memory for each of our guests. I am overjoyed to hear that your stay with us is one of your greatest experiences in life.

Thank you for your kind words and I will be happy to assist you to plan your return visit in the near future.

Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

After visiting the Four Seasons in Chiang Mai, the Elephant Camp at the Golden Triangle, our family headed to Koh Samui for a few days on the beach. The property is unforgettable -- arrival at the top of the hill with a remarkable view; the design elements enhance the scenery and add visual details; and the layout feels like a current day Fantasy Island with villas dotting the hillside and busy buggies (golf carts) carrying guests up and down the steep paths. Each villa had a plunge pool, spacious layout, and easily accommodated our family of 3. We enjoyed several in-villa meals just to take advantage of our outdoor 'room' and view. All the comforts were Four Seasons standard and the food was delicious. The jumping platform located a convenient kayak paddle from shore, the ping pong table, and beach games were perfect activities for beach time. We indulged at the spa -- another memorable location and experience. We held back one ranking level only because we were truly spoiled by service in the two other Thai Four Seasons. Our initial contacts with Restaurant, Front Desk, and Concierge staff didn't match our prior Thai experiences. All in all, our stay was a dream, a wonderful final segment on an extraordinary Four Seasons Thailand trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
FSKohSamui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear 5329970:

I am so glad that, with our two sister properties up north, we created for you an extraordinary Tour of Thailand trip. Thank you for sharing your experiences here on TripAdvisor. I hope it will not be long before we can welcome you back.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We booked a "Deluxe one-bedroom villa" after calling the hotel to know the difference with the "One bedroom Villa", was told it was a free standing villa with no adjunct building. On arrival we discovered a wall on the left side separating us from the other guests villa!! Felt I have been cheated. Staff could not explain the difference with simple deluxe, her english was not clear and we were not offered with any solution, that was very frustrating, it was not what we expected.
There was a very strong smell on the villa sundeck to discover a dead animal trapped under it. We asked to remove it at 8pm, they did it the next morning, which was again very surprising. We had to sleep off with the smell, they could have acted right away and make us wait at the restaurant or offer us a drink at the bar while waiting for it to be done...

Shall I continue? Inconsistent greetings from Staff, lack of personal touch, forgetting orders (asked for water with no ice, getting ice), room-service forgetting to refill coffee, tea and chips, at breakfast we were not offered with the menu that we discovered on day 2...In-room dining very long wait (expect at least 45mn) and poor english, it was an hassle to place order, you need to wait for them to pick-up the phone and once he just answered telling me "I will call you back" with no explanation!!! Guess he was over-busy...

An overall lack of efficiency affecting our holidays, no, it wasnt hassle-free and relaxing stay as we expected. After spending an incredible stay at FS Chiang-Mai, we were very disappointed.

To finish with, we had the Staff calling us in the villa at 6pm to lower the sound of the music as it was bothering our neighbors. Basically, I exploded. First of all NO I was not supposed to have neighbors, then I am just using the room-amenities, if they have an issue with that they should not provide with in-room music or they should limit the level. Its their responsability. I felt I was being accused& scolded and being restrained in my freedom. This was an awful feeling. They just called without even coming or checking first, I felt it was unfair and out of the limits.

I did not enjoy my stay there as I should have. The music issue ruined my last night as it over-stressed me. Oh by the way there was a huge villa also playing music could hear it a breakfast time from the other side of the valley!! Where they also asked by the Staff to turn it off?...

Room Tip: Do not dare to play music in your villa.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear mimosachan:

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with us at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui. I am very disappointed that you were unhappy with the services received at our Resort. We continually strive to meet each of our guest's expectations. I am profusely sorry that we failed to deliver this to you and your friends during your holidays with us.

Although I cannot erase your poor experience with us, I would very much like to speak with you personally so that we can address your concerns directly. I can be reached at lubosh.barta@fourseasons.com.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just returned from an amazing few days at the Four Seasons Samui which included a wedding and dinner event. From start to finish it was an incredible time for our group and I have to thank the staff and management of the hotel for their excellent job in putting the event together.

In looking for a destination wedding venue we flew down to Samui and visited a number of resorts. The Four Seasons we initially hadn't planned on visiting and on very short notice dropped by. As the existing wedding planner was occupied with an event Khun Worawan took us around the property and also took time to understand our criteria and what we were looking for. The Four Seasons followed up diligently afterwards with information and a quote for the acommodation and planned event.

We also considered the Conrad, Banyan Tree, W Retreat, and the Le Meridien. Ultimately we chose the Four Seasons as we felt it best fit what we wanted- a small intimate event with family members where we could have a relaxing time. The staff at the Four Seasons was also quite experienced in terms of weddings and eager to offer suggestions based on their experience. In contrast the response from other venues tended to be more passive in nature.

The wedding event itself was a bit of a tricky one to finalize due to the variable weather conditions- from sun to rain and back again in as little as an hour. The hotel is used to the issue and we had planned to shift the entire event to another day if necessary, or worst case scenario to be indoors. Luckily everything went as planned and the event went forward on the beach.

The beach itself is divided into the regular beach and a smaller isolated beach in a cove, perfect for events and private dinners. We topped off the evening with 'khom loi' (floating lanterns) and a surprisingly good fireworks show. The staff decorated one of the resort buggies with coconuts instead of cans as a newlywed vehicle- very funny and a cute touch to the evening.

Overall Khun Worawan took fantastic care of us and attended to every small detail of the event, even including our special requested wedding cake and the style of flower decorations on the chairs we used.

The resort itself is located on a rather steep hillside, divided into the hotel on one side and the residences area on the other. The main form of transport winds up being via the various golf carts that the resort has on hand, shuttling guests between their villas and the various destinations. A call would normally result in a cart arriving in around 5 to 10 minutes, though at peak times such as before dinner or when raining the wait was a bit longer.

Villas themselves are large with a private pool, size depending on the level of villa. Rooms are very well appointed with a very large bathroom area with separate wardrobes and sinks for him and her. Beds are extremely soft- in fact on our previous visit we felt that the bed was perhaps too much so but this time it wasn't an issue. Enjoyed the small touches such as little snacks being left at turn-down and the fruit left to us.

As the resort is cut into a jungle-like hillside there are a lot of local creatures milling around. Mosquitoes are abundant but amazingly enough I was only bitten once. Others in our group weren't so lucky unfortunately, and given the location long pants and socks are strongly recommended for the evening. One of our group saw a snake being removed from the foliage, there was an apparent monkey (or lemur) sighting, and a group of adventurous crows enjoyed making off with some leftover sausages one morning. Definitely gives one the feeling that one is part of nature as opposed to visiting a pretty fascade.

The hotel has a couple of dining venues, Pla Pla by the beach and Lan Tania near the top of the hill. The former serves seafood (though we were able to special order Thai food for our mixed group) and the latter serves Thai and Italian. The quality of food was excellent at both and they managed to cater to our large group without any hitches in ordering. Lan Tania is also the venue for the daily breakfasts- often a challenge at hotels. Selection overall was good- the only issues being a number of flies buzzing around the food and the area outside facing the beach can get rather hot in the sun. Recommend sitting in the area furthest from the entrance as there's shade and a breeze.

We took a couple of trips outside of the resort using the van transportation available at the hotel. If staying for a few days I highly recommend some of the local Thai restaurants located 10min or so from the resort. A few of our group ventured out for elephant rides and to visit the temple of the mummified monk. Others partook in cooking lessons (which were very well received), Thai lessons (also very well received), and a brief but funny tour of the gardens.

Overall a fantastic stay, the only real issue is that time seemed to accelerate and pass by so quickly during our time there. Big thanks again to everyone who helped put together our event- it wasn't easy, especially with the variable weather, but turned out great in the end.

Room Tip: Rooms with smaller numbers (eg. 200 vs 600) are higher up on the hill. All have good reviews- the ad...
Dear JW8448:

Congratulations once again from all of us here on your recent wedding!

Over the years, Four Seasons has strived to create unique memories for our guests during special events in their lives. I am so pleased that we have achieved that goal for you. Thank you for your kind review. I will be sure to share it with all the staff - particularly Khun Worawan, as there is no better motivation than the message of a job well done.

Lubosh Barta

Been to Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand? Share your experiences!