“Beautiful room&location but Service not so good” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Fourth Night!
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Ang Thong
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Beautiful room&location but Service not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We booked a "Deluxe one-bedroom villa" after calling the hotel to know the difference with the "One bedroom Villa", was told it was a free standing villa with no adjunct building. On arrival we discovered a wall on the left side separating us from the other guests villa!! Felt I have been cheated. Staff could not explain the difference with simple deluxe, her english was not clear and we were not offered with any solution, that was very frustrating, it was not what we expected.
There was a very strong smell on the villa sundeck to discover a dead animal trapped under it. We asked to remove it at 8pm, they did it the next morning, which was again very surprising. We had to sleep off with the smell, they could have acted right away and make us wait at the restaurant or offer us a drink at the bar while waiting for it to be done...

Shall I continue? Inconsistent greetings from Staff, lack of personal touch, forgetting orders (asked for water with no ice, getting ice), room-service forgetting to refill coffee, tea and chips, at breakfast we were not offered with the menu that we discovered on day 2...In-room dining very long wait (expect at least 45mn) and poor english, it was an hassle to place order, you need to wait for them to pick-up the phone and once he just answered telling me "I will call you back" with no explanation!!! Guess he was over-busy...

An overall lack of efficiency affecting our holidays, no, it wasnt hassle-free and relaxing stay as we expected. After spending an incredible stay at FS Chiang-Mai, we were very disappointed.

To finish with, we had the Staff calling us in the villa at 6pm to lower the sound of the music as it was bothering our neighbors. Basically, I exploded. First of all NO I was not supposed to have neighbors, then I am just using the room-amenities, if they have an issue with that they should not provide with in-room music or they should limit the level. Its their responsability. I felt I was being accused& scolded and being restrained in my freedom. This was an awful feeling. They just called without even coming or checking first, I felt it was unfair and out of the limits.

I did not enjoy my stay there as I should have. The music issue ruined my last night as it over-stressed me. Oh by the way there was a huge villa also playing music could hear it a breakfast time from the other side of the valley!! Where they also asked by the Staff to turn it off?...

Room Tip: Do not dare to play music in your villa.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
FSKohSamui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear mimosachan:

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with us at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui. I am very disappointed that you were unhappy with the services received at our Resort. We continually strive to meet each of our guest's expectations. I am profusely sorry that we failed to deliver this to you and your friends during your holidays with us.

Although I cannot erase your poor experience with us, I would very much like to speak with you personally so that we can address your concerns directly. I can be reached at lubosh.barta@fourseasons.com.

Lubosh Barta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just returned from an amazing few days at the Four Seasons Samui which included a wedding and dinner event. From start to finish it was an incredible time for our group and I have to thank the staff and management of the hotel for their excellent job in putting the event together.

In looking for a destination wedding venue we flew down to Samui and visited a number of resorts. The Four Seasons we initially hadn't planned on visiting and on very short notice dropped by. As the existing wedding planner was occupied with an event Khun Worawan took us around the property and also took time to understand our criteria and what we were looking for. The Four Seasons followed up diligently afterwards with information and a quote for the acommodation and planned event.

We also considered the Conrad, Banyan Tree, W Retreat, and the Le Meridien. Ultimately we chose the Four Seasons as we felt it best fit what we wanted- a small intimate event with family members where we could have a relaxing time. The staff at the Four Seasons was also quite experienced in terms of weddings and eager to offer suggestions based on their experience. In contrast the response from other venues tended to be more passive in nature.

The wedding event itself was a bit of a tricky one to finalize due to the variable weather conditions- from sun to rain and back again in as little as an hour. The hotel is used to the issue and we had planned to shift the entire event to another day if necessary, or worst case scenario to be indoors. Luckily everything went as planned and the event went forward on the beach.

The beach itself is divided into the regular beach and a smaller isolated beach in a cove, perfect for events and private dinners. We topped off the evening with 'khom loi' (floating lanterns) and a surprisingly good fireworks show. The staff decorated one of the resort buggies with coconuts instead of cans as a newlywed vehicle- very funny and a cute touch to the evening.

Overall Khun Worawan took fantastic care of us and attended to every small detail of the event, even including our special requested wedding cake and the style of flower decorations on the chairs we used.

The resort itself is located on a rather steep hillside, divided into the hotel on one side and the residences area on the other. The main form of transport winds up being via the various golf carts that the resort has on hand, shuttling guests between their villas and the various destinations. A call would normally result in a cart arriving in around 5 to 10 minutes, though at peak times such as before dinner or when raining the wait was a bit longer.

Villas themselves are large with a private pool, size depending on the level of villa. Rooms are very well appointed with a very large bathroom area with separate wardrobes and sinks for him and her. Beds are extremely soft- in fact on our previous visit we felt that the bed was perhaps too much so but this time it wasn't an issue. Enjoyed the small touches such as little snacks being left at turn-down and the fruit left to us.

As the resort is cut into a jungle-like hillside there are a lot of local creatures milling around. Mosquitoes are abundant but amazingly enough I was only bitten once. Others in our group weren't so lucky unfortunately, and given the location long pants and socks are strongly recommended for the evening. One of our group saw a snake being removed from the foliage, there was an apparent monkey (or lemur) sighting, and a group of adventurous crows enjoyed making off with some leftover sausages one morning. Definitely gives one the feeling that one is part of nature as opposed to visiting a pretty fascade.

The hotel has a couple of dining venues, Pla Pla by the beach and Lan Tania near the top of the hill. The former serves seafood (though we were able to special order Thai food for our mixed group) and the latter serves Thai and Italian. The quality of food was excellent at both and they managed to cater to our large group without any hitches in ordering. Lan Tania is also the venue for the daily breakfasts- often a challenge at hotels. Selection overall was good- the only issues being a number of flies buzzing around the food and the area outside facing the beach can get rather hot in the sun. Recommend sitting in the area furthest from the entrance as there's shade and a breeze.

We took a couple of trips outside of the resort using the van transportation available at the hotel. If staying for a few days I highly recommend some of the local Thai restaurants located 10min or so from the resort. A few of our group ventured out for elephant rides and to visit the temple of the mummified monk. Others partook in cooking lessons (which were very well received), Thai lessons (also very well received), and a brief but funny tour of the gardens.

Overall a fantastic stay, the only real issue is that time seemed to accelerate and pass by so quickly during our time there. Big thanks again to everyone who helped put together our event- it wasn't easy, especially with the variable weather, but turned out great in the end.

Room Tip: Rooms with smaller numbers (eg. 200 vs 600) are higher up on the hill. All have good reviews- the ad...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear JW8448:

Congratulations once again from all of us here on your recent wedding!

Over the years, Four Seasons has strived to create unique memories for our guests during special events in their lives. I am so pleased that we have achieved that goal for you. Thank you for your kind review. I will be sure to share it with all the staff - particularly Khun Worawan, as there is no better motivation than the message of a job well done.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The main advantage of the four seasons is the fact that they own the entire hill, which makes it a very calm and secluded area. The beach therefore is great as isolated, therefore you can really benefit from it.

The room we took was a premier bedroom villa for which we really appreciated the quietness, and the fact that it was separated from the other rooms.

However there are a number of smaller inconveniences, but also concern to be aware of if you want to fully get value out of your trip at Four Seasons:
- on the beach, the sand close to the beach tends to be a bit muddy, however you can go to a platform a bit further away by kayak which gives you access to a beautiful turquoise water and snorkeling area
- the kayaks are scarce (only 3 x 2 people kayaks, plus a few single ones) so plan to get yours soon
- the beach restaurant is outrageously expensive, especially at dinner time: we had one san pellegrino water, one sea bass and one "lamb" plate for 130 USD +. Both mains didn't have more than 2 or 3 vegetables. The plates were ok, but nothing overwhelming. When you know you can have a feast for this price on the island, this is just unacceptable.
- make sure therefore to plan to eat outside or bring in snacks. It's also a budget to plan for (you can actually get a cab to Nam Mae at 15 mns drive at 300 Bahts if you take it outside, and 500 bahts through the hotel. Trip to Chaweng takes 35 mns and costs 800 bahts one way. Probably negotiable as well)

Some other improvement areas:
- it's disappointing we didn't get more than the "fruit basket" when arriving. Other equivalent or less high standard hotels offer chocolates, macarons, wine bottles. Not a huge investment for FS, and does help appreciate the service. They should also replenish the fruit basket when you stay several days (we stayed 5 days)
- cleanliness is good, but we did get a coackroach on the last evening...
- kind of strange that the toilet in the bedroom doesn't have a door. ok for us but might be an issue for others
- sometimes an impression of FS being just a bit "cheap" in replenishing amenities: not a huge concern, but I remember other four seasons who would more rapidly replace cottons, shampoos, etc...
- breakfast was good, but again, I had better buffets in other places (check the Mandarin Oriental in Chiang Mai!)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Matthieu_1976:

I am happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and at the same time would like to thank you for the constructive feedback provided - especially with regard to restaurant pricing and in-villa amenities. Your feedback is important to us as it is through this means that we are able to assess how well we are meeting the expectations of our guests and where there is room for improvement.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experiences. We hope that we can welcome you back to the "Coconut Island" again in the future.

Wayne, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

As I still believe this was heaven, it has taken me a while to write this review. From the time you check in, with a spectacular view to the time you leave, there is nothing a staff member will not do for you. I had the room on the beach wit a giant swimming pool, and a fantastic view of the ocean. Everything was great with the suite, being 10 steps to the beach, other than you had to walk the entire beach in the evning to get picked up and brought to the front desk to get a cab for dinner, and same thing upon returning. The hotel should have a vehicle that travels on sand and then brings you to where the golf carts pick you up. If it is raining, it becomes a fiasco, and a terrible experience, and for a room that costs a couple of thousand a night, they need to think about the walk. I suggest getting any other room or suite, as the golf cart shuttles go to every other room and are fast and efficient, always with a greeting and smile. Room service was beyond, the breakfast in the restaurant was equally as good. The massages on the beach with the waves comming in made me sleep, and still wondering if I really had a massage, when I awoke. Lying on the beach, having my sun glasses cleaned, served fresh BBQ corn was the best. All in all, other than the transportation issue, the property is well run, friendly, and I can't wait to return, but in a less expensive suite that comes with the jittney service, as you can't walk the property, way to hilly, but with spectacular views.

Room Tip: any room is great, most have either full swimming pools, or plunge pools. All the views are spectacu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Gary S:

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am so happy to learn that, apart from the transportation issue, you were able to relax and enjoy what our Resort had to offer.

Thank you for staying with us and we will look forward to your next visit to the "Coconut Island".

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Paradise does not describe it! Yes its expensive and will easily burn a hole in your wallet but it is well worth it. The beach is immaculate and groomed in a way that preserves both the nature yet gives it elegance plus it is never too packed, they have added extras where they constantly bring you cold water and small snacks which make the experience that much better. The food at both restaurants is simply amazing, and they are very flexible and skilled to tailor any diet even if the menu may not be indicate this (I am a vegetarian and do not eat fish). The gym and tennis courts are in good shape should you choose to exercise. The rooms are stunning with the most amazing views, the only slight negative is that some rooms are a little less private then others but they were happy to move us to another room which met our requirements (generally rooms ending in "3" at the end of each level have the most privacy). You do not walk in this resort, golf buggies which you are never required to wait long for chauffeur you around everywhere. I warn you if you go here anywhere else that you stay after will be disgusting in comparison no matter how nice you may think it is. I cannot praise this resort enough.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of levels ending in "3" are the most private
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
FSKohSamui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Suraj G:

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui. I am so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us very much and hope that you will return to us very soon!

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The word luxury is over used today so it does loose its meaning, but when you do experience a place like this you start understanding the true meaning of the word. We stayed here for two nights (wish it was more), but from the time we were picked up at the airport to the time we were drop off it was an outstanding experience. The staff really know how to treat you as guest, addressing you properly and very prompt in service. The villa themselves are very private , providing you the playground to relax and enjoy the setting provided. The beach offered stunning views and service with drink and snacks as you lie down and bask in the sun. The dining offered fantastic local food, amazing breakfast selection and international flair. My wife loved the moulten chocolate cake and the banana split. What stand out with me is the service. We order room service on a heavy down pour evening. Not only did they come promptly with the food but they also devised a plan in serving our food indoors setting up a table and pillows we can sit on while eating instead of eating outside in the rain. If you use this resort as a bench mark for other places I don't think you can surpass it with the service and quality of the location or the staff. It is an experience I wish everyone could at least have once in a life time.

Dear MelvinFurd68:

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing here on TripAdvisor your experience at our Resort. I am particularly pleased that the services provided by our dedicated team was the highlight of your stay and will definitely share your kind words with all the staff.

Should you plan on returning, please do let me know so I can assist with the arrangement.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The first impression of this property is "WOW!" When you pull in to the check-in/arrival area you are met with an impressive, stunning, awe-inspiring (chose your adjective) view of the Gulf of Thailand, the resort and the beaches. You will completely forget the world that you left before coming to Koh Samui. The arrival area sits perched at the top of the resort complex, probably a good 200 feet above sea level and offers a great overview of the entire resort area.

Check-in was quick and efficient. The General Manager for the property happened to be there at check-in and was kind enough to introduce herself. She definitely has one of the best jobs in the world if this is what she gets to see every day!

After that, I was whisked down to my villa in the buggy. You pretty much have to take a buggy to get anywhere in this resort (unless you are a mountain goat) and sometimes the inclines are pretty incredible. My sister liked sitting on the back, rear-facing seat on the buggy as to her it felt like a "roller-coaster" ride (haha...kids! :-)

First impression of the villa was "AWEEEEESOOOOME". Private infinity plunge pool, massive walk-in bathroom and shower area and a pretty decent looking bed. As I had arrived somewhat early (about 10-10:30am), they had a small continental breakfast for me set up in my room. Excellent!

Room was clean, well appointed (exactly what you would expect from a Four Seasons) and with the view from the day-bed, it doesn't get much better than this.

Food wise, the resorts food is pretty decent. Breakfast offered a number of fresh baked breads. The breakfast area, perched up on a bluff with the main lobby, offers just an incredible view for breakfast. Lunch was mainly consumed pool/beach side and was rather decent.

Pool and beach area here are really quite nice. Due to it being low tide season, there wasn't much of a beach area you could swim in due to a coral reef that was exposed. As an alternative, there were free sea kayaks that you could take out to deeper waters to a floating dock where you could dive and jump to your hearts content into the azul waters of the Gulf of Thailand. I personally liked the hamocks they had stretched out over water further away from the main beach - talk about awesome R&R.

The only downside that I think we experienced during our stay was the service. It varied widely from mostly pleasant and hospitable staff to some that were a bit short fused and really need to work on their charm a bit. There were a couple of staff that just seemed like they couldn't be bothered. Fortunately the majority of the staff we encountered were not this and were incredibly nice and friendly.

You simply can't go wrong with this resort, if you've got the money to spend, it's a great place to come relax, and forget the world.

Room Tip: It might be impossible to NOT have a good room at this place; every view seems to be picturesque, al...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
FSKohSamui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear SQ452:

It is a pleasure to read that you thoroughly enjoyed our Resort offerings and thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your stay at our Resort.

My apologies for the service shortfall you had experienced and any disappointment or inconvenience it might have caused to you during your stay. I would like to hear more from you about the inconsistency of services provided by our staff. If you can give me any additional feedback on what it was in particular with the services that did not live up to your expectations - please feel free to email me directly at lubosh.barta@fourseasons.com.

Thank you for staying with us and I shall look forward to hearing further from you.

Lubosh Barta

Been to Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand? Share your experiences!