“High class excellence” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Ang Thong
Luxembourg
“High class excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We spent five nights in a premium pool villa and enjoyed every minute of it. The villa was very comfortable and offered total privacy. The manicured gardens were impressive and we were positively surprised by the beach that was very beautiful and the beach service was outstanding. OK, we have seen clearer water elsewhere but it didn't bother us. The overall service was great, so was the gym and the spa treatments. Unfortunately, the food was slightly disappointing but the GM informed us of measures to improve this area.

We stayed at four high end hotels during our Samui holiday and Four Seasons was definitely the winner. We would love to go back

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
FSKohSamui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear jmalux:

We are proud that you selected Four Seasons as the best hotel in Samui during your recent holiday on the island.

I am sorry about the water clarity at the time of your visit at our private beach but I am pleased that it did not negatively impact your stay. We continue to improve the quality of our food with our new Executive Chef and would really love for you to come back to see the results.

Hope to see you back at Four Seasons very soon.

Kind regards,

Brent Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011 via mobile

The hotel is gorgeous, with great views and great service. However, the ride down to the beach is a slightly perilous journey on tight single lane roads in open buggies on an extremely steep hill, which is probably why the beach was secluded on most days we were there. Of course, every room cones with it's own pool, so that could have been a factor as well. The sand was either too coarse or too wet and sticky (like runny muffin batter), but overall it was good because it was secluded. You can also walk out quite a ways into the ocean, so it was great for the kids. I travelled with a small child, but the hotel is better suited for couples.

• Stayed April 2011
FSKohSamui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
Dear Sweetpeatraveller:

I am sorry that the layout of the Resort on a secluded hillside was not ideal but as you mention it does provide great views from our villas and privacy at our beach. I know that our designer, Bill Bensely, purposely tried to minimize the destruction of the landscape caused by large roads which unfortunately made our paths smaller than other Resorts.

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Yours truly,

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Took this trip during their supposedly high season in march 2011..but encountered rain half the time we were there for 5 nites. Disappointing that way but really can't have certainty in mother nature these days . However, we count ourselves lucky as we had left right before the continuous rain that led to mudslides n casualities on Koh Samui.

When we arrived, it was pouring n I was surprised that we still had to check it at their tiny reception area with rain hitting on the plastic blinds instead of bringing us straight to the villa n doing it there in a more comfortable setting..

Unfortunately, the food quality from room service was really not good. The breakfast spread,quality n ambience was fantastic. Restaurant on the beach area offered good food during lunch n dinner.

The private beach was very nice but tiny..walks on beach is pretty brief..wouldn't say it's my favorite beach but there re definitely no vendors attempting to sell u stuff...

The room was quite comfortable with a huge, bright bathroom ,separate sinks n big counter space to accommodate my toiletries... However, I wish the room could have the option of being brighter with a dimmer switch n the buzzer sounds be a little less intrusive..

When we were there, the pool in the villa n beach area was a little too cool for my liking.. Put it this way, I wouldnt go during low season. We will be back in Koh Samui but likely to give the W hotel or Anatara a try.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Gingersnaps:

As you mentioned, Mother Nature seems to be playing tricks on us. The island received much rain during its traditional dry period. Hopefully, that means we will have dry weather during the Green Season in the fall.

Although many guests enjoy the views from our Arrival Sala even in inclement weather, I am sorry that we did not propose you the option of registration in the privacy of your villa.

I would like to hear more feedback on your experience with our In Villa Dining service so that I can incorporate it into the changes that we are making in the menu and presentation of the food - please feel free to email me directly at brent.martin@fourseasons.com. Also, I am interested in knowing the areas of the villa that you would like to have more light as we recently added a reading lamp based upon our guests’ feedback.

I hope that you will reconsider our Resort for your next trip to Koh Samui.

Regards,

Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Great and gorgeous hotel. The views are stunning and the rooms are beautifully appointed. Beach is gorgeous. Staff was lovely. Of course when you pay 700+/night and stay at Four Seasons you expect certain standards and a few were off here:

--Food was good. Not excellent.
--Service in restaurant in the evening was extremely slow.
--System of "buggies" to get from room up to where breakfast is served--which one can walk but can be either inconvenient or difficult depending on where your room is located--does not yet seem to be spot-on. You call for one, it can take up to 30 minutes to arrive or does not arrive.
--There were some guests staying at one of the houses on the property. It was more than obvious that when they were in the "public" spaces the management set out to speak to them, make sure they were OK, etc. They did not do this for the other guests. A little off-putting.

The other parts of the hotel were lovely. There is a very clean and nice gym, the breakfasts were excellent and the beach, as mentioned before, is captivating.

The best massage I have ever received was here. Excellent spa.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear El_Mudo_11:

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the views, gym, breakfast and rooms at our Resort, and it's also great to read that you found our beach captivating. I'm sorry to hear however that some of the food didn't meet your expectations, and that you felt that the service - and buggy service - was slow. Since your stay in September 2010 we have refined many of our F&B offerings and restaurant experiences, as well as increasing the number of buggies available, and I hope that your experiences in these areas on a future visit will exceed your expectations.

With regards to our Residence guests, many of them are long-staying guests who visit us very often, and are very well-known to our staff, which may be why you felt that they were receiving extra attention. Please rest assured that our staff go out of their way to make each and every one of our guests feel welcome, and I'm reassured that your comments about the staff being "lovely" go some way to show that hopefully you felt this too.

If you'd like to give me any additional feedback on what it was in particular with the food that didn't live up to your expectations I would love to hear from you - please feel free to email me directly at brent.martin@fourseasons.com.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Stayed here in Oct 2009 - has taken me a while to remember to write a review so unremarkable was my stay! I was here at the end of a 12 day stay at Kamalaya in Koh Samui. I was craving luxury as I had just been on a strict weight loss programme. Without doubt this is a beautiful hotel. Probably the most beautiful location I've experienced and the rooms are stunning... bigger than you can imagine. My pool alone was like 35-40 feet and my room was at the edge of the jungle so you can hear all the wild animals all night long. Weather was pretty crap so didn't get to enjoy the pool or my patio too much but it is just amazing and I can imagine a honeymoon would be perfect. But alone, with bad weather and building work being done on the private residences made my stay a little annoying. One day the duty manager came to my room and said "what building noise? there is no noise!" I was laughing... but in fairness the GM did apologise and clearly they needed to complete work before the high season. Staff are great, the lobby lounge is very high up so view is incredible and when it rained I would just walk over there and sit in one of the big chairs and stare out to sea. The positives here are the beach, beach bar and restaurant, the staff, the ROOMS!! and the location but the negatives ... it is outrageously expensive though I found the spa to be ok, not crazy prices and all the treatments I had (bar one) were great. The spa rooms are all in the jungle and you have to see it yourself to appreciate how beautiful... the negatives: there is an emptiness you feel when staying there, the GM I felt was more concerned at his experience of staying there than maybe the guests and the breakfast choices are poor. I stayed at Six Senses just down the road and that is a breakfast buffet to beat. I just felt the management, not the staff, let this hotel down. For example, one day again it was raining and I was walking around the lobby, the management team had finished some meeting and they all walked out, right past me and other guests and not one of them said a word. Not how are you, or good morning. Nothing. I felt like reminding them that they worked at the Four Seasons and we were the guests staying at the Four Seasons.
Other than these minor gripes... it's a beautiful beautiful hotel. I'm so happy to have stayed but I'd never ever go alone again. It's definitely a honeymoon hotel. Great tennis coach, gym also and beach staff the best there is.

Room Tip: I found the terrace with my pool had almost no sun... so I'd make sure to check out rooms with p...
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Service and ambience were always top-notch. Comfortable pool-villa with bathroom area larger than bedroom. This was our 2nd trip to FS Samui, but the best part of it - the house reef - had been degraded somehow.

Our first trip was in Sept 2009, when there was so much daily activities going on….free kite making, soap craving, scuba dive trial in pool, etc. But these were not much arranged this summer. The only activity we looked forward to join was tennis at 8am, so we woke up early in the sunny morning to get ready for it. Though confirmed by the concierge, we were called at the last minute that it had been cancelled. A bit disappointed. Anyhow, FS was supported by a very attentive and caring team of staff, the in-house activities could surely be shaped better to enhance guests' expectations.

Its house reef was used to be one of the finest among Thailand Resorts. Corals were good and huge as round table that my under-water camera could not capture the whole scene. Giant clam used to be there too. But just in 2 years, the stunning and amazing natural beauty was vanished imperceptibly.. May be the resort keepers should figure out how to protect and restore the sea lives back to its previous vitality..

However, the buffet breakfast included with our villa was a great delight. There was an egg station, with typical American breakfast food such as bacon and sausages. Also, there was a plethora of fresh fruits, croissants and cold cuts such as smoked salmon and parma ham! What we enjoyed the most was juice of the day, ranging from coconut juice, fruit punches, watermelon juices to etc.! Truly a great start of a wonderful day at Koh Samui! Dinner with room-service set in the verandah at night with a cool summer breeze was also enjoyable.

Recommended FS for family travelling to Koh Samui. It would be a very good combo of fun and sun in luxury.

Room Tip: Some rooms offer larger pool than others, try your luck!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear GGHolliday:

We are glad that you came back to visit us a second time and had a good vacation.

I am disappointed that you felt that there were less activities than before as we have maintained the variety but only have changed the timing based on the feedback of other guests. Next time, we will make a better effort to communicate our full range of activities. But most importantly, I am truly sorry that our Tennis Pro had to cancel the session on short notice. Although it is difficult to procure the professional level of service that our guests require on the island, we are diligently locating back-up options for our activities to ensure that no other guest experiences the same disappointment.

After the two major storms on the island (November 2010 and March 2011) impacted the coast, we are working to regrow the beautiful coral in our reef and attract the interesting marine life that had lived there previously. I hope that you can come back soon and see the results of our efforts.

Thanks for your great comments about the breakfast offering that we continue to enhance on a weekly basis.

Yours truly,

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed at this FANTASTIC resort for 20 luxurious and fun days. It was exactly what our family needed - a relaxing, calm and pristine place with a stunning, well-kept beach, FANTASTIC food (a highlight) and exceptionally friendly and attentive staff (a true highlight). Our villa (305) had superb view of the ocean, the villa itself - apart from being trully stunning to look at, was very functional and userfriendly for our small family (2 my husband and I and our 2 yr old toddler). On arrival we were greeted warmly with a exceptional cake for our little birthday boy (with a cake and bed for his teddy too :-)) A great touch. Room service was excellent - particularly if you like Asian food like we do. The Western food was EXCELLENT when we did try it - but we mostly ate Thai (it's a fraction of the price too :-)) the Kids Clube was a TRUE HIGHLIGHT as they girls are exeptionally caring and they made our little boy laugh a lot and they look after him beautiuflly. There are so many daily activities for children - our little boy still remembers Namwan (one of minders from Kids Club) and the two friends he made while at kids club: Zack and Aria from Perth. Breakfast was very tasty and with a stunning view - one comment though: I only worked out towards the end of our trip the pricing of the 2 different types of breakfast - so I was eating both from the buffet and was ordering scrambled eggs and the cost was double. If I simply ordered a la carte, it would have been more economical (a small point that hotel may mention to new guests). The spa is trully stunning but the treatments can be hit and miss - the massages are exceptional and the ambiance is truly stunning. However, I would think twice before paying $150 for a facial at that spa as some of the therapists are not properly trained beauticians (I had both a fantastic facial with a fully-trained Bangkok beautician and a FANTASTIC (best ever) pedicure and I also had a very average facial from a local lady.) So, if you are booking a facial, double check that it's with a properly trained beautician. The spa manager has been very kind after my less than favourable feedback and I had my 2nd facial and pedi on the house. All the buggy boys, waiting staff, Kids Club girls LOVED our little boy and they knew us by name by day 3 I think. Everyone was EXCEPTIONALLY curteous and helpful - even after we've been there for 20 days. I would highly recommend the Managers Coctails on the beach as the staff put a lot of effort to make it a gorgeous night. Another huge HIGHLIGHT was our private dinner on the beach - now THAT was something stunning!! The service was gorgeous and we had private music playing while we had the most gorgeous Thai (our preference) dinner with lovely wine and bubbly. although we've been together for close to 10 years, we still love to have such special moments to celebrate our love and friendship. I can't tell you how exciting and beautifully delivered the whole experience was and we'll remember it for many years to come. I'm sending this feedback from my laptop and I don't have any of the holiday photos on it - bummer as they look stunning! OK - I don't have one single bad word to say about this place - we were simply overwhelmed how nice ALL of the staff were - from the Resort Manager Lubosh to the General Manager Brent - they are really interesting and friendly people and they made us feel more like old friends than hotel guests. On departure, were were given a GORGEOUS leather and silver frame from their boutique store and we've placed a photo from our holiday to always remind us of this FANTASTIC, sunny and happy trip. I hope you can experience it like we did! Oh yes - check out the Elephant trekking and a trip to the Fisherman's Village. Happy Holidays!

Room Tip: We used room 305 - it was a bit far from the beach - but we love to walk - but the view was spectacu...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Dear Ellie_R034:

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your long holiday at Four Seasons. I know that our team truly enjoyed the opportunity to pamper your family during their vacation at our Resort.

I am sorry that we did not better communicate our breakfast options (either buffet or a la carte) at the beginning of your stay and you had to discover it later in your stay. Also, it is most unfortunate that one of your experiences with our spa was not at the level that you had come to expect after the many outstanding treatments that you had received. I know that our Spa Manager reacted quickly to your comments and re-training was immediately done for that type of treatment.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back to Koh Samui.

Warmest regards,

Brent Martin

Been to Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand? Share your experiences!