“It lived up to our expectations” 1 of 5 stars

Grand Sea View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   175/4 Moo 3, Ang Thong, Ko Samui, Thailand   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Ang Thong
Papamoa, New Zealand
“It lived up to our expectations”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I was hoping that the reviews on your website were not correct but alas they were. Expect little sleep in a hotel that is in serious need of an upgrade. The lobby is the best bit. The only other highlight was the staff who were very helpful with arrangements.

Room Tip: Choose a hotel not in Nathon if possible.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I have surveyed the area before I booked this hotel in person, since pretty much this is the only choice (hotel) walking distance to the pier. I had to catch a very early ferry to Don Sak so I wanted to get as much sleep as possible. I paid 800 bath without breakfast (1000 baht if you want breakfast).

Initially they gave me a horrible room (bad smell, peeling paint, mold on the shower curtain). I have asked for another room and (behold!) the next room was pretty good compared to the previous one. What I mean is that it was clean, no smell or mold. I think the bed was comfortable and I was able to sleep just fine.

Overall if you get a decent room the price is very reasonable, but I would not stay this side of the island unless you are on a tight budget.
The pier is about 15 minutes walk from the hotel and there is a 7-eleven midway towards the pier so you can stock up water snacks etc.
The previous reviewer mentioned the lack of english at the reception which is true if you show up at midnight or arrive very early, but during the day I thought both receptionists spoke decent English.
Bring your bug spray this is very I least expected to get bit but since they leave all doors open in the lobby I got bit several times before I realized.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

Do yourself a favour and stay away from this place! Hazte un favor y alejate de este sitio!
Yes it is close to the pier but EVERY single one hotel and guesthouse in Nathong IS, look in front of the pier for some other deals for 300 or 400 bahts if it happens to have to spend 1 night in Nathong.
Every try to COMMUNICATE WITH THE STAFF IS A NIGHTMARE. Other than the manager no english is spoken. Yes, when everything is ok I dont mind this but the chances that your stay is smooth are equal to none and consider it costs 4 times more expensive than any other place around.
We arrive at 23.00 just to have a shower and depart on a day trip very early next morning. There was NO HOT WATER plus the bathroom WAS DIRTY (used bar soaps were left by the tub), I called reception and 20 minutes after I had the guy bringing some drinking water in...after another 10minute we had the security and the bellboy inspecting the bathroom but I just wanted another room, it was late and just wanted to get some rest. They gave me another room next door and guess what....IT WAS DIRTIER! No signs of toilet cleaning after the last customer years ago.
We spent the night as we could, in the morning I COMPLAINT IN RECEPTION about the hot water and they DOWNGRADED ME!!!, gave me a worse, smaller room 2 floors down for my stay!!! no time for breakfast so had just a sip of JUICE which sent me straight to the toilet, VERY CHEMICAL AND ARTIFICIAL (A joke in a land like Thailand) and left.
After the excursion we came back to the hotel and I had a few words with the manager. He offered me a sunset view for the same price and being too tired to move I accepted to spent another night before going to Surat Thani early next morning. MISTAKE! There is no sunset view from the window, just some palm trees and plenty of electricity cables, seriously. And that night there was plenty of children from the staff in the pool sreamming and playing and shouting I could hear from the room. Im not too angry about this, just wanted to let anyone interested know. Other than that the pool is a good point and is very quiet, the hotel in general is dead, probably cos people is clever and have a look on internet reviews and go somewhere else.
The front beach is not such, is a stripe of broad sand near to pebbles with plenty of broken glasses. NO BATH IS POSSIBLE, very low tide and plenty of seaweed. But is very quiet. Ugly view to the right, with an old pier and A BUDDIST CEMETERY to the left just behind the trees, we were shocked although I must say this was an interesting discovering.
The day after we had some time to have breakfast and still quite poor. Cereals are buffet but hot things you need to keep asking the waiters which will take ages to arrive. We spent 1 and 1/2 hours in the restaurant and only crossed 1 other customer, no wonder why the hotel is empty.
The worse stay of our 15 days in thailand. We looked for another 5 places in the area, regreted not to have chosen the first one for 400 baht (I wanted fan and they had only air con) and finished paying 1800 on this hole.
We felt released when we left and glad they didnt ruin our stay longer...
Nathong is full of proper thai restaurants doing a tipical thai BBQ buffet, is not too big either and feels 100% safe wherever you stay you are close form the night market, the pier, a Tesco or any travel agency which closes at 22

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

We stayed at this hotel on 2nd Jan and our credit card details were used that night to make 2 purchases totalling £1000, the guy at reception must have cloned our card as he told us he had a problem with the card machine and it was taking a while to connect so he took us to our room then dropped the card off 5 mins later.

Wont ever go back and do not recommend!

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

My girlfriend and I spent four nights in the Grand Sea View Resotel on Koh Samui. The hotel is located in the town of Nathon and, as the name suggests, the property is on the waterfront. We reserved a deluxe sea view room, which had wonderful views across the bay and the town. The room itself was very spacious as was the bathroom. The facilities in the room included a large television [complete with a large selection of local and satellite stations], electronic safe, stocked bar fridge, air-conditioning and comfortable queen-sized bed. The room was kept spotlessly clean daily. An American buffet breakfast was included in the room price but we never made it to breakfast. There are two restaurant/bars located on the premises but we never saw anybody in there. In fact, we only saw three other couples staying there during our visit.
The pool area was excellent. We spent four afternoons lazing by the pool. The [infinity] pool itself was fine, which was helped by the fact that there was hardly anybody else using it. They could have done with some more sun loungers if there had’ve been more people using the pool. The hotel has a small stretch of beach, which had sufficient loungers and tables. However, the water in front of the hotel was extremely shallow to the point of visible sand banks so not much use for swimming.
The hotel is located on the southern outskirts of Nathon. It is between a 5-10 minute walk into the town centre and ferry piers. There was a reasonable selection of bars and restaurants within easy walking distance. Next door to the hotel is a restaurant/bar called Sunset, which we frequented daily to watch some amazing sun sets. Other restaurant/bars of note were: Samui Samui and Coffee Island. There is a decent sized Tesco supermarket located in the town centre. There were plenty of ATMs and currency exchange booths around the town. Most of the tour offices are located close to the vicinity of the ferry piers.
As far as value for money is concerned this hotel is an absolute gem and we would stay there again. If you are coming to Koh Samui for a holiday then you are more likely to prefer a more secluded resort-style hotel. However, if you are here on business or need to spend a night in a hotel close to the ferry piers then this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to Grand Sea View Hotel? Share your experiences!