“5 star resort with 5 star prices” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond La Samanna

You added Belmond La Samanna to your Saves list
Belmond La Samanna
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Baie Longue | PO Box 4077, Terres Basses 97064, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
Hobe Sound, Florida
“5 star resort with 5 star prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

This hotel is simply beautiful. The beach was wonderful and the rooms had all been recently renovated with wonderfully comfortable beds and bedding. The staff was very nice as well. There were a few minor issues, for example, breakfast was included with the room price but that wasn't told to anyone. We found out through the grapevine and we were there with a wedding so out of 15+ rooms no one was told be the hotel that this was included. Everything was very pricey, even by island standards. Mixed drinks were $15 for a little plastic cup, a burger was $30. Any non motorized water sports were free with the stay. Paddle boarding, snorkeling, kayaking it was all very fun. The pools were lovely. We rented a Cabana 2 of the days and Fred made sure we were well taken care of. He really made us feel special and appreciated as guests. Not that the rest of the staff weren't pleasant but they didn't seem to remember us from day to day. We sat in the same seat at the restaurant for breakfast 4 days in a row and the same person waited on us each day and she never gave any personalized touch. If she remembered us at all, I certainly couldn't tell. The location and property truly can't be beat. The service is good and the prices are high.

Room Tip: If you book through American Express Platinum Travel service, you will get a complimentary upgrade t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear StefaniLeo,

Thank you for review of your recent stay at La Samanna. I am happy to hear that you feel that the location and property cannot be beat. I do apologize thought that you were not given the proper information about breakfast at check in. It is part of our check -in procedure to explain to our guests what is and what is not included with the rate. It is unfortunate that you did not feel the same warmth you felt at the Watersports at the Breakfast restaurant, for this I do apologize and will speak to the team to ensure that all our guests feel welcome. I will make sure to pass on your comments to Fred at the Watersports. As for our prices, you will notice that we are in line with our competitors in neighboring islands in St. Barths & Anguilla. I hope that despite some minor issues you encountered you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Suisse
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed for the third time and for a quite long stay at this hotel member of the leading hôtels of the world. If it was ok the first 2 times, this time was not so good. In fact, we didn't find any soul. Our arrival was ok with a dink. We also were upgraded in a beach front suite. The suite was beautiful but outside, the garden was very dry. The main problem is with the staff because some are quite rude. 2 years ago, the breakfast was amazing on a big terrace overlooking the sea. This time, the breakfast is around the pool, in a corner, and the choice is very very less than before and also the quality is not very good. Some times the staff is good but sometimes they don't care about you. Now this hotel is not at the level of a 5 stars hotel. All is very complicated, no concierge available and we had to change our plans to leave the hotel 3 days before for business. This was absolutely very bad manager. As a VIP guests they first wanted to charge us 3 nights more (the hotel was half full). After a long discussions (impossible to speak with the manager...), the get charged for one more night but this is not acceptable for this hotel. All other leading hotel of the world don't work like this and we are leaders club member.
We regret this experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Centurion Card,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at La Samanna. I am sorry that you encountered problems with our staff. Please know that I have shared your comments with the staff in order to rectify this. In regards of the new buffet set up and location, we have actually extended the selection since the beginning of the season with fresh fruits, breads, muffins, and pastries all home made,cereals, yogurts, high-end coffee and a variety of teas, eggs made to order, sausages and bacon among other items. The island had not received much rain which is why you found the garden dry. I am a bit confused as I know that our Guest Relations Manager spoke directly with you as you had to leave the hotel 3 days prior to your original departure date. As you will understand, we have, as does any hotel, an early departure policy. You declined the gift certificate we offered you for the remaining 3 nights. It was then seen between you and my Guest Relations Manager that you would be charged a one night penalty rather than the 3 night charge, and I am surprised to read that you find it unacceptable.
We hope that you will consider coming back in the near future as we value each of our guests.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

My husband and I, checked-in in the La Samanna as newlyweds for our honeymoon.

The exceptional service started from the moment we pulled up to the property and continued throughout our stay. The property stands on Long Bay and it is magnificent. The scenery is breathtaking, the beach is private and beautiful. We loved that we were able to snorkel in the bay and see tropical fish. The food was delicious, from the fresh breakfast each morning to the delectable dinners at night. We stayed in 1 bedroom beachfront suites , near the beach bar. We woke up with the perfect view, then walked out on the beach. Loved drinking my afternoon espresso on the patio, looking at the setting sun.

It was slow season for the island which made it perfect for us...quiet...romantic...simply beautiful. Leaving this piece of paradise was really hard, this was one of the most relaxing vacation we've had. We look forward to going back there in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear RexiTnT,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at La Samanna for your honeymoon and for sharing your experience. I am happy that you enjoyed the food, the sites and even the amazing underwater world we are lucky to have just at our shores. It is nice to hear that this was one of the most relaxing vacations you have had, you will now need to come back to our little piece of paradise for another one!
St. Martin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Loved my stay at La Samanna. Felf treated like royalty here and the place was just a wonderful. The atmosphere, the breakfast buffet, the accommodations, and the views all made my stay worthwhile. I would definitely recommend staying here. The only downfall this trip was that there were a lot of rocks at the shoreline so getting in and out of the water was a little difficult. It changes different times of year from what I hear.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Michelle P,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at La Samanna. It pleases me to read that the property and ambiance were all to your liking. As you said it, our beach is affected by Mother Nature so the shoreline does shift depending on the month but for the most part, Baie Longue is a lovely inviting beach. I hope you come back soon, hopefully during a time when there are not so many rocks.
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is the most wonderful vacation you can take. The hotel is on the French side of st. Martin and on a beach all by itself. The service starts at check in and continues you drive out of the hotel to head home. It is private, quiet and magnificent. Everything is first class. The beach bungalows are what the rich and famous want for themselves. Out the door and on the beach. Can't say enough but I will go every year I can. It's a keeper.

Room Tip: If you can get an ocean view room , go for it . Everything is first class. This is a six star proper...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Howard C,
I would like to thank you for your great review of La Samanna. It is a pleasure to read that your experience with us was first class all the way. We try our best to make sure the service we provide is such and I am happy that you experienced it first hand. We hope to see you again next year if not later this year.
St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stay in this hotel from 05.06.13 to 14.06.13. Have 2 birthdays: my - 35, and my girlfriend - 25. No one congratulations in any way for the stay was not, moreover, had dinner with a my girlfriend in the restaurant 11.06, ordered from music singer song for my girl one song for $ 100, and in response - silence! .. no song, no money back, nothing!.. Do not think, that these musicians create a good image for this hotel! ... And the case has nothing to do with money, but with respect! ...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, Guest Relations Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Igor_Reyn,
Thank you very much for sharing this with us and I am very glad that you posted your review before you checked out so we could make it up to you on time. Our singer is not a very good english speaker and I believe the language barrier between you and him is the source of the misunderstanding. We will make sure that this does not happen again in the future and make sure our singer asks for translation in the case he doesn't understand a guest request.
I am very happy that you had a fantastic holiday and I hope you enjoyed your last lunch with us and wish you a safe flight back to St. Petersburg.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

My husband & I stayed here for our Honeymoon in July 2011 and it was perfection.

The staff, food, ambiance, beach, ocean, room.... all perfect.

We had originally requested a room near the main beach area, but actually requested a switch to the cliff side room for the improved view & privacy, which they were so amazing about accommodating us to make us happy. We had a 1 Bedroom with Roof Terrace. We did not feel it was far from anything (we are from NYC and 'walkers') and the place is landscaped so beautifully that it makes it enjoyable. We hated having to leave, our bungalow felt like our perfect private escape.

The resort was so quiet & romantic (it was off season) and I literally was overcome with how beautiful it was.

I'm happy to see from other reviews that ROMEL is still there, he was the best. Really went out of his way to make us feel special on our honeymoon. He was our fantastic server for our private beach dinner one evening. Everyone was so wonderful.

The spa was amazing too. After our lovely couples massage we were encouraged to linger, enjoy the outdoor showers with our tea. It was so good we went back for another one later in the week - a rare splurge for us.

The beach is very important to us on a vacation and we loved it here. The cove is stunning. I loved being able to snorkel right there and seeing some tropical fish. Even saw a Ray one day!

And the food, yum! Fresh Fish, lobster - and even the simple things, like the eggs & fruit we had for breakfast in our room every day was de-lish!

It was truly everything I wished for. A truly beautiful escape after our wedding. We cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Go for the cliffs! A very short walk in exchange for views, privacy & a quiet escape.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear OrtoTravel,

It makes me so very happy to hear that your honeymoon with us was a perfect stay. I am glad that you were able to truly enjoy yourselves and that you found the staff was helpful. I hope you make Belmond La Samanna a yearly visit.

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!