“Stay for 2 nights.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond La Samanna

You added Belmond La Samanna to your Saves list
Belmond La Samanna
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Baie Longue | PO Box 4077, Terres Basses 97064, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
st barths
“Stay for 2 nights.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We just decide to stay for 2 nights in st martin and our choice was this hotel. We can just recommend this place, the welcome was nice and we get early the room, this was a very good point for us. We use the room service and the food and service was correct. We will come back for sure.

Room Tip: We think is one of the best hotels in this island.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Philippeida

I am glad that you decided to chose La Samanna as your getaway spot for your 2 days here in St. Martin, it is a wonderful island with so much to offer, and we are happy to be able to provide all guests who stay here a magical experience. Very happy that you enjoyed your welcome and that we were able to provide you with an early check in as well, looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I just got back from La Samanna and I want to go back already! The arrival experience was breathtaking!! You arrive at the hotel and all you see is the beautiful blue ocean! You really feel like you have been transported to somewhere magical. The service was 5 Star as was the food and beverage. My friends and I had the most amazing Spa experience that we had to book another massage before leaving... make sure to take advantage of the outdoor shower at the Spa. Had I known St. Martin was so easy to get to from NYC I would have been there sooner... but you can count on me returning next year!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear KatInTheCity31

I am so delighted that you enjoyed our property and it's breath taking views so much. Our recent renovations have definitely lead way to an awe inspiring arrival experience, allowing guests to see the beautiful setting and beach that La Samanna have to offer. I am happy to hear that you were also able to enjoy our amazing Spa more than once, and my staff always love to hear amazing comments like yours about the level of service we offer here at La Samanna. I am delighted to hear that you just found way to this little piece of paradise we have to offer and I am looking forward to welcoming you back next year
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed al La Samanna and cannot say enough about the luxurious charm of the resort. It was a true paradise and a must stay for anyone traveling to St. Martin. The property, food and service was all beyond our expectations. Sunset cocktails on the beach, a room that was exceptionally comfortable and a friendly staff we were compelled to call by first name. Our spa experience was pure bliss with a newfound appreciation for private outdoor showering. This trip was heaven and we allowed ourselves to be spoiled by all La Samanna has to offer.

Room Tip: Bldg H was especially convenient for beach lovers. We completely appreciated stepping off our patio...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Lori Ann R,
It is always a pleasure to read a review such as yours, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I agree, a stay at La Samanna is a must for anyone traveling to the island J I will make sure to share your comments with the staff. I hope you come back to stay with us soon so we can pamper you a little more. Thank you again.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I want to give 5 stars for the resort and 2 stars for the service. The resort itself is beautiful, sitting on a little cove on the French side of St. Martin and only 10 minutes from the airport. The view as you walk to the check-in desk is amazing, and the beach is wide and deep with ample umbrellas and lounge chairs and was never too crowded like some other beaches can be. Most visitors were couples, both young and old; very few families as I imagine there's not too much for the little ones to do so it was nice and peaceful (no kids running around screaming). Our room itself was beautiful and had a separate living room area, the bed was soft and comfy, and the bathroom was big with a nice jacuzzi. The best part of the room is that you get direct beach access- you open your door and are literally on the beach.

Service was a big lacking in multiple departments, here are some examples:
- We paid $130 for airport transfers but when we got to the airport, the man holding a sign with our name did not offer to help with our luggage and barely greeted us, then took us to a commuter van and drove us to the resort in silence. We were told it would be a hotel car with cold towels and water, which we did not get. When we complained about this to the front desk, they apologized unenthusiastically and then REFUSED to cancel the return portion and refund the $65. Not a good way to start the vacation....
- Concierge was also unenthusiastic and seemed annoyed when we would ask follow up questions like "How do you spell the name of that restaurant?" and "Can you point it out on the map?" We really felt like we were bothering him even though ahem- that's his JOB.
- We walked over to the watersports shack to ask to borrow canoes to paddle around in and were basically told "There they are" and with the point of a finger, not even a butt cheek was lifted from a seat to actually help us.
- When we went outside to enjoy the beach, we had to open our own sun umbrellas, only 40 minutes afterwards did an attendant come to offer us a hotel and NEVER did anyone come by and ask us if we wanted cocktails or anything (which I ended up ordering through room service).

Overall, we enjoyed the vacation because the beach was so beautiful and our room was very nice, but we just didn't feel pampered like we have at other resorts. The service is definitely more "Caribbean" than "French" which I wouldn't mind if we were paying $400 for a place in Jamaica, but this was a $1200+ per night place, and the service was just not up to par.

Dear Tiffany M,
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback, both positive and negative, about your recent stay with us. While I am very happy to read that the beach and the room were to your liking, I truly regret that the service you experienced was not up to par. We take all our guest comments very seriously, especially when they are not happy with the service they encountered. I apologize for the incidents with the transfer and the attitude of our Concierge. Again, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I hope you consider coming back to stay with us. If so, please contact us prior to your arrival and we will make sure to pamper you and try to make your next stay with us special and memorable.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We were on a small cruise that that ended in St Martin, and spent a night at La Samanna. I have stayed at many resorts but this one is now very high on my list. When you arrive you are impressed with the landscaping and the look of the resort. We needed an early check-in as the cruise wanted us off the ship at 10 A.M. The front desk did everything they could to accommodate us and we had a room by 12 noon.
The resort is perched on a cliff which affords it spectacular views and ambiance. The suite was incredible, overlooking the beach and the turquoise water of the Caribbean. The rooms were very spacious, well decorated with a fantastic bathroom suite. We enjoyed our lunch with a fantastic view and our afternoon at the beach and pool. We went back to the room to get ready for dinner and enjoyed the sunset from the patio overlooking the horizon.
We dined on the property with friends for great dinner and Champagne. The service was a bit slow but after all we are in the Caribbean, the pace is slower than what we are used to in New York. The food was well presented and very delicious. The atmosphere of the outside dining was impressive.
The front desk and concierge service was excellent and made our stay and departure very efficient and pleasant. Our overall experience was grand; we hope to return again for a longer stay in the near future.
Again thank you for making the end of our vacation a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: If you have the option choose the ocean view room
Dear wmvsr,
Thank you for allowing us to give you a wonderful experience and share with you the wonders of what is La Samanna. I will make sure to share your comments regarding our Front Office with the staff, they will be pleased to hear them. I am glad to read that you enjoyed lunch at the beach bar and dinner at Trellis. We certainly hope your return soon for a longer stay. Thank you again for your feedback and thank you for choosing La Samanna as the place to finish your vacation.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

So if you have the money and would like a piece of paradise, or heaven, take a trip to the Spa at La Samanna. My wife and I each bought the Sun Preparation package and were both truly delighted. It's not cheap, but you come out of the spa feeling like a million dollars, so definitely worth the price. Sublime!

The hotel is pretty spectacular too! We used to stay there before we discovered villa rental. The bar, restaurant, and pool are "Life Styles Of The Rich And Famous".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jfarmeribm,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write about your spa experience and your overall impression of La Samanna. I am thrilled to read that the spa treatment was delightful to both you and your wife. It is good to hear that old clients are still amazed by the property. Perhaps next time you decide to come to St. Martin you will want to stay with us again, we love to welcome our repeat guests, even it has been a couple of years. Thank you again.
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Outstanding resort. The staff is the friendliest we've ever known; they feel like old friends by the end of the stay. Outlandish views. Great food and drink. We would have appreciated a steel band to liven up the evenings, but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed our vacation.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view. We enjoyed our first floor room, 50 feet from the beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Michael B,

I can personally assure you that your feedback on Tripadvisor will bring smiles to many of my employees faces and I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us here at La Samanna. I am disappointed that you did not fully enjoy the live music we do provide, but we try to give our guests an experience from the local artists so they can learn about some of the amazing culture and history St. Martin has to offer. Once again I am so happy that you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!