“Romantic Getaway!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond La Samanna

Save Saved
You added Belmond La Samanna to your Saves list
Belmond La Samanna
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Baie Longue | PO Box 4077, Terres Basses 97064, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Experiences
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Romantic Getaway!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Outstanding resort. The staff is the friendliest we've ever known; they feel like old friends by the end of the stay. Outlandish views. Great food and drink. We would have appreciated a steel band to liven up the evenings, but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed our vacation.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view. We enjoyed our first floor room, 50 feet from the beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Michael B,

I can personally assure you that your feedback on Tripadvisor will bring smiles to many of my employees faces and I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us here at La Samanna. I am disappointed that you did not fully enjoy the live music we do provide, but we try to give our guests an experience from the local artists so they can learn about some of the amazing culture and history St. Martin has to offer. Once again I am so happy that you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed at La Samanna with my husband for one week. We had a one bedroom suite, with a terrace and a roof top plunge pool. The room was beautiful and spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the cabana and plunge pool were a nice feature. Our room was quiet during our stay.

The staff was incredibly helpful during our stay. One thing which really impressed us was that there was not a fight to get a chaise by the beach or by one of the pools, even though the hotel was busy.

The food at the hotel was mixed. Some of it was good, other items were so-so. We dined at Trellis, the fine dining restaurant, and we thought it was good but not great. On the other hand, the presentation of the food was great, and the setting was unbelievable.

The fitness room is spacious, and has good equipment. We did not use the spa.

The one thing we found strange was that staff never took a drink order by the pool. We would go to the bar and order, and they would bring it to us. This is not a big deal, but is unusual for a hotel of this caliber.

I would stay at La Samanna if I were in St. Martin.

Dear Singerred,

I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to review us and provide us with your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed so many of our property's settings including the gym, pools and restaurants and that you found your plunge pool suite to be so beautiful and spacious. I am very happy to hear that you found the staff to be incredibly helpful during your stay and I am can say I express disappoint due to your mention about the poolside service, I can assure you that we do offer this and it truly is unfortunate to hear that you were not able to experience this during your stay. I do wish to see you again during any future visits down to St. Martin and please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next stay
ft. lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have traveled all over the world but nothing compares to La Samanna!! From the amazing ocean sunset views to the impeccable accommodations to the world class service. You won't find a place better on earth to vacation. I guess that is why we spend at least 7 days every year for the past 12 years at LaSamanna. If you haven't been then you haven't really experienced paradise.

Room Tip: One bedroom ocean view rooms are preferred
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Darrel B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor, we are so pleased to hear such great remarks from our regular clientele. We appreciate such great feedback, and when we share it with the team it puts a smile on everyone's faces. Thank you again so much and we are looking forward to welcoming you again next year.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Once we were able to locate La Samanna (the hotel sign is oddly hidden behind foliage and an ugly recycling bin on the main road), we found a beautiful, small hotel on a lovely beach and we truly enjoyed our 6 night stay. The positives--there are two pools (one is a very nice infinity pool--although there were a few missing tiles that need to be replaced) and a very large beach area. Even though the hotel was at capacity the week we were there (Easter week), it never felt crowded and there were always available chairs. Isabel at the front desk was wonderful upon check in and we were upgraded to a fabulous one bedroom suite after we expressed our displeasure with our original view--which was of the backside of the beach bar and restaurant. The complimentary rum upon check in was a nice touch as was the large chocolate Easter egg that was left for us the night before check out. The bed in the suite was extremely comfortable (very high thread count) and the suite was clean with charming furnishings. Our view of the ocean and cliff from our suite patio was breathtaking, which for us, made up for any flaws at this resort. One minor complaint regarding the room is that the shower is open and literally in the middle of the bathroom so there is no privacy and whenever we took a shower, water flooded the entire bathroom which resulted in an unnecessary use of all of the towels--we left quite a mess for the turn down housekeeper. I think some of the suites have been renovated to correct this problem.
While I was not expecting Four Seasons level of service--having read prior reviews and aware beforehand that this is a smaller property that still retains its family run charm- everyone who works at the resort seemed helpful.
The negatives--my main complaint with this resort was the food. Coming from NYC I am used to overpriced food. And when you are staying at this resort you are certainly not looking to count your pennies. However, when you are charged $7 for a can of soda at the pool, and $24 for a plate of raw vegetables (I had ordered vegetable tempura but after waiting 45 minutes for the plate, ate the raw veggies without complaint), the feeling of being nickel and dimed is overwhelming. Also there is a $7 per person service charge for room service. Room service takes a very long time so plan ahead. Considering our room was steps from the room service kitchen, it was doubly ridiculous. The coffee pods in the deluxe coffee maker are complimentary upon arrival and then they charge $4 per pod afterwards--we found this out after we called room service for refills. I found the charge for the refill pods extremely tacky given the cost of this resort--although complimentary coffee is provided with some fruit and cookies in the main hotel in the mornings, which made up (somewhat) for that annoyance. We ate at the Trellis our first night and the setting truly is spectacular. The $45 entrees were unimpressive (I had a mixed seafood dish just drowned in melted cheese--ick, my husband had a "just ok" fish dish), as was the service and I could have done without the $11 bottle of sparkling water. The menu options are also limited. At no time were we offered tap water, even though the water is safe to drink on St. Maarten. As a result, I was turned off to the on property food offerings from that the first night, so we wound up eating many of our meals off property, (which also led to some hits and misses). I recommend renting a small car while visiting so you are not limited to the resort restaurants. Despite my issue with the food, I would absolutely return to La Samanna because the gorgeous private setting is why we were there and is what makes this resort special.

Room Tip: The Villas on the cliffs--P, N-- have the best views and they are quiet. The villas on the beach wer...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Nibblerbee,

After reading your review I am very happy to hear that you did enjoy your time with us here at La Samanna and that you are definitely planning on returning to La Samanna, although you mentioned a few deficiencies during your stay. I am delighted to hear that my Front Desk agent's went out of their way to ensure that you were in a room that you enjoyed during your time here with us, as we definitely have a view that deserves to be admired by all our guests. I am happy that you enjoyed our special Easter gift that was delivered into your room. I am however very sorry to read about your dissatisfaction with the food at the resort, we are introducing a new menu very soon that gives more options to all of our guests. We do hope you consider to return again and if so do not hesitate to contact us so we can ensure that you can meet with our Chef upon arrival and we can provide you with high quality, amazing food throughout your stay! Thank you so much again for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here for our honeymoon in April 2010 (plunge pool suite). This is the best island we have been to, and Iwe have been to a lot. You will thank youself for going here; splurge for a good room. Food is pricey but it's good. Beach is awesome, staff is ok. Hands down the best in st Martin.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Donkey 212,

I am so pleased to hear your great review on our property and very grateful that you chose to spend your honeymoon here with us. I am delighted that St. Martin is your favorite island and that you consider us the best choice here on the island. We are very lucky to have such a beautiful setting on this amazing beach and I am happy you were able to enjoy it to the fullest. Thank you very much for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future.
Ro,me
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week in St Maarten. I spent dozens of hours researching and planning what to do, where to go, where to eat, etc... I ran across a review on Tripadvisor that said one could go to La Samanna for the day, rent chairs and an umbrella, and view the sunset from their bar. We drove to La Samanna (which isn't the easiest place to get to to start with) and was turned back by the security guard.

Now, La Samanna is on Baie Longue and all of the beaches in St Martin are required to be open to the public. So, we drove around to the public entrance and walked down to La Samanna. The walk on the beach is a very difficult half mile. Once we got to the Hotel, I inquired about renting some chairs and an umbrella. I was told they do not generally do this, but perhaps could make an exception (especially since there was literally NO ONE in ANY of their 115 chairs). Oliviere was very gracious in making sure we were comfortable, even bringing out a few fresh fruit skewers for us. We ordered from their beach / bar menu and were treated like one of the paying guests. Thanks Oliviere!

If you are planning to give this a try, I would check with the Hotel first.

Dear drdewrag,

Although I am sorry to hear about your experience getting down to our beach, I am happy that once there you were able to enjoy it and were treated just like any of our guests of course. Unfortunately, we do ask that all outside guests contact the hotel prior to trying to spend the day as we do enforce different policies depending on our occupancy and time of the year. During our high seasons when the hotel is full we do enforce the policy that no outside guests are allowed as our priority of course is for the service and security of our own in house guests. Perhaps if you do chose to visit our property again or even stay with us, do not hesitate to contact us prior to arrival. Thank you
Manchester, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

La Samana disappointed from beginning to end of our one overnight stay. It started at arrival from St. Barths via ferry where we had been promised a taxi pickup. There was none. When I called the hotel, the person demanded to know who had committed to the transfer - but since I had no access to my emails, I couldn't tell her. She then said - "just get your own taxi" with no apology whatsoever. Upon arrival, we were brought to our room and found food from the previous guests left on the dresser. They quickly cleared it away and we went to the beach. But, when I returned to my room, I couldn't get in. I trekked up to the office (a very long walk) for new keys, trekked back - still wouldn't open. I called the office from the beach bar, then waited back at the room. It took 1-1/2 hours to get access to the room and I was asked to wait there (the maintenance man was very apologetic). By the time we got back down to the beach to sail the Hobie Cat it was 4:15 and were told "too late - we close at 4:30!" Famished, I went back to the beach bar to get a bite, only to be told they stop serving food at 4 p.m.! So, we checked the internet site and decided on the "casual" restaurant but when we went there we were told there was only one restaurant - Trellis - no others. We had no information whatsoever about the resort in our room or provided to us. No map, no list of activities, when facilities open or close - nothing. The next morning I was surprised to see a yoga class pool-side - how do those people know about such an activity? I would have wanted to join in. I ordered room service for breakfast (from quite a rude person) and of course the order arrived wrong - one too many continental breakfasts! The server was the only bright spot - she was very friendly. While she brought the newspaper, again, no resort information. We only stayed one night - which was one too many. After 6 days in St. Barths at the fabulousTom Beach Hotel (see my 5-star review) the La Samana was a major disappointment. Never again.

Room Tip: Our corner room, F-11, had private outside stairs down to pool - a nice feature, but room was very s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear havanesrule,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your one night stay at La Samanna. I regret to read that it was a major disappointment. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for the lack of communication and information prior to your arrival and during your stay, even if it was a brief one. I have shared your comments with the entire staff as your dissatisfaction affects all of us. I apologize for any mis-communication that was passed on to you, as our Beach Bar's main menu does close at 4.p.m, however they do continue to serve our full room service menu on the beach afterwards. I am also very sorry that you were not able to enjoy the different complimentary activities that we offer to our clients, as we do have Yoga, Tennis and Pilates complimentary once per week. Again, I am terribly sorry that we fell quite short of your expectations. Should you ever decide to visit La Samanna again, please contact me directly so we can ensure your stay can be one that leaves you with better memories.

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!