“Day trip wasn't as expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond La Samanna

Save Saved
You added Belmond La Samanna to your Saves list
Belmond La Samanna
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Baie Longue | PO Box 4077, Terres Basses 97064, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Discover Belmond
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Terres Basses
Ro,me
“Day trip wasn't as expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week in St Maarten. I spent dozens of hours researching and planning what to do, where to go, where to eat, etc... I ran across a review on Tripadvisor that said one could go to La Samanna for the day, rent chairs and an umbrella, and view the sunset from their bar. We drove to La Samanna (which isn't the easiest place to get to to start with) and was turned back by the security guard.

Now, La Samanna is on Baie Longue and all of the beaches in St Martin are required to be open to the public. So, we drove around to the public entrance and walked down to La Samanna. The walk on the beach is a very difficult half mile. Once we got to the Hotel, I inquired about renting some chairs and an umbrella. I was told they do not generally do this, but perhaps could make an exception (especially since there was literally NO ONE in ANY of their 115 chairs). Oliviere was very gracious in making sure we were comfortable, even bringing out a few fresh fruit skewers for us. We ordered from their beach / bar menu and were treated like one of the paying guests. Thanks Oliviere!

If you are planning to give this a try, I would check with the Hotel first.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear drdewrag,

Although I am sorry to hear about your experience getting down to our beach, I am happy that once there you were able to enjoy it and were treated just like any of our guests of course. Unfortunately, we do ask that all outside guests contact the hotel prior to trying to spend the day as we do enforce different policies depending on our occupancy and time of the year. During our high seasons when the hotel is full we do enforce the policy that no outside guests are allowed as our priority of course is for the service and security of our own in house guests. Perhaps if you do chose to visit our property again or even stay with us, do not hesitate to contact us prior to arrival. Thank you

650 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Manchester, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

La Samana disappointed from beginning to end of our one overnight stay. It started at arrival from St. Barths via ferry where we had been promised a taxi pickup. There was none. When I called the hotel, the person demanded to know who had committed to the transfer - but since I had no access to my emails, I couldn't tell her. She then said - "just get your own taxi" with no apology whatsoever. Upon arrival, we were brought to our room and found food from the previous guests left on the dresser. They quickly cleared it away and we went to the beach. But, when I returned to my room, I couldn't get in. I trekked up to the office (a very long walk) for new keys, trekked back - still wouldn't open. I called the office from the beach bar, then waited back at the room. It took 1-1/2 hours to get access to the room and I was asked to wait there (the maintenance man was very apologetic). By the time we got back down to the beach to sail the Hobie Cat it was 4:15 and were told "too late - we close at 4:30!" Famished, I went back to the beach bar to get a bite, only to be told they stop serving food at 4 p.m.! So, we checked the internet site and decided on the "casual" restaurant but when we went there we were told there was only one restaurant - Trellis - no others. We had no information whatsoever about the resort in our room or provided to us. No map, no list of activities, when facilities open or close - nothing. The next morning I was surprised to see a yoga class pool-side - how do those people know about such an activity? I would have wanted to join in. I ordered room service for breakfast (from quite a rude person) and of course the order arrived wrong - one too many continental breakfasts! The server was the only bright spot - she was very friendly. While she brought the newspaper, again, no resort information. We only stayed one night - which was one too many. After 6 days in St. Barths at the fabulousTom Beach Hotel (see my 5-star review) the La Samana was a major disappointment. Never again.

Room Tip: Our corner room, F-11, had private outside stairs down to pool - a nice feature, but room was very s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear havanesrule,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your one night stay at La Samanna. I regret to read that it was a major disappointment. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for the lack of communication and information prior to your arrival and during your stay, even if it was a brief one. I have shared your comments with the entire staff as your dissatisfaction affects all of us. I apologize for any mis-communication that was passed on to you, as our Beach Bar's main menu does close at 4.p.m, however they do continue to serve our full room service menu on the beach afterwards. I am also very sorry that you were not able to enjoy the different complimentary activities that we offer to our clients, as we do have Yoga, Tennis and Pilates complimentary once per week. Again, I am terribly sorry that we fell quite short of your expectations. Should you ever decide to visit La Samanna again, please contact me directly so we can ensure your stay can be one that leaves you with better memories.
Colquitt, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just got home today from a 5 night stay at one of the villas at La Samanna (Sula). We have been to several islands in the Carribean and have stayed at some pretty nice places, BUT, our villa at La Samanna was AMAZING! The villa itself was beautiful with attention paid to every detail. In fact, i can't think of a single complaint. We had our own pool and the views from the resort were breathtaking. The buffet breakfast was great and each person in our group had a spa service while there....no complaints there, either. Best of all, the staff at La Samanna were there to answer any question or need we had. Props especially to William Burpitt, the Villa Operations Manager. From arranging transportation to making dinner reservations, he went above and beyond to make our first (of hopefully, many more) stay at La Samanna an experience we will never forget!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

La Samana in St Martin is just lovely! Upon arriving on the property one knows you have arrived to a beautiful Caribbean property. The resort itself is very reflective of the Caribbean Islands and sets on an outstanding stretch of the Caribbean beach. We had a 2 bedroom suite - beach front- which was very nice but in need of some renovations. The restaurant and resort both had outstanding service and the restaurant has a very creative, delicious Chef. But once again the main areas of the resort are in need of some renovation. We did move to one of La Samana's Private Villas half way through our week - and - WOW!!!! The Villas are fairly new and the latest decor, design and ammenities that any Caribbean Island has to offer. La Samana you are lovely but renovated your hotel to the level of your Villas!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear FF4ever,

Thank you very much for your kind review of La Samanna. We are quite fortunate to have this breathtaking location that marvels our guests. I am happy to read that you experienced outstanding service in both the resort and the restaurant - that is certainly what we aim for. Our new Chef has certainly brought creative and delectable treats to our restaurant and it please me to hear you enjoyed the food. Every year we try to renovate one area of the hotel while still keeping true to the Caribbean flavor that La Samanna has and that many of our return guests miss. I am glad that you were able to spend time in our Villas, they are indeed a spectacular addition to the resort. Thank you again for your review, we hope you come back either to the Villas or the resort.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

i have to say that i love la samanna but we were a touch disappointed in our recent visit. we were in a renovated room with a very large terrace. other than 2 outdoor lounge chairs we had a dinning table with chairs that were too low for it. we asked when we arrived for suitable furniture as we like to have breakfast outside but no one ever corrected the problem. instead we had to bring out a desk chair and double up pillows to sit and eat al fresco. you would think that the staff would have noticed this and taken care of it but no one did even when asked. we also arrived to find our rooms were wrong. this vacation was booked 6 months previous and was confirmed on many occasions. la samanna tried their best to accommodate us and we ended up being happy with our rooms but we waited hours to get into them. we sat at the bar and had lunch but we were never even offered a drink. because we were traveling with young children twice they ordered room service for dinner. twice it took over two hours for dinner to come. both times they called for someone to pick up dinner dishes and no one ever came so the dirty dishes and food remained till the room was cleaned the next day. the new rooms and bathrooms are wonderful...for the most part the staff was friendly. the beach servers were terrific. i did find a few of the wait staff unfriendly and not too helpful. in talking with other guests they mentioned the same situation with the same people. la samanna is a special place on an island that is not so special. the crime rate is climbing and that makes it a bit frightening so having a retreat like la samanna where everything is on site is very special. we will definitely come back. that said i think the hotel needs to address the furnishings of the terraces outside of the guest rooms and ridding themselves of staff that are not happy to be apart of such a great hotel. another irritating situation was that i asked from day one for decaf coffee pods for the coffee maker. they delivered a few the first day but never refilled the tray from then on. all of these items are little things that are so easy to correct and that won't frustrate the guest but until they are taken care of the hotel is not a 5 star.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear tilde m,
I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. I regret to hear about the the lack of follow up from my staff in regards to the outdoor furniture and the coffee pods. You are right, the staff should have noticed and taken action. The confusion upon your check in and our failure to offer you a welcome drink it is not the way we like to greet our guests and I sincerely apologize for theses incidents and the inconvenience. I will make sure to share your comment regarding the staff with them, our guest's impressions are very important to us and it is what helps us resolve some of our issues. I agree with you entirely, La Samanna is a very special hotel, some of our staff has been with the hotel for well over 20 years and are very happy and proud to say that, unfortunately, some staff may not see the value in that. I am happy to hear that despite some of the misgivings you will be back. Please do make sure to let us know when you will be visiting so we can ensure a 5 star service.
San Juan, PR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

La Samanna is a resort with a beautiful beach. I stayed in a Terrace suite, everything in the room was perfect: beautifully decorated, big bathroom with shower and bathtub, lots of wardrobe space, comfortable bed , living area , small kitchenette with pod coffeemaker, roof solarium and balcony with amazing views. Everyone was very friendly, great service. Loved the breakfast, good variety, but what I really liked was the wide variety of fresh fruit and yummy pastries. The food for lunch and dinner was good, but not spectacular.
I had a massage, it was very good, but pricey. They have water sports area in the beach, the staff was very nice. The beach is beautiful, enjoyed relaxing by the beach. Out of the 2 pools, I preferred the pool by the beach bar, it had a nicer view.
Great hotel for couples and families.

Room Tip: Some rooms are far from main building, and you have to walk a lot. In my case, I did not mind the wa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mari R,
Thank you so much for posting your review and taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay at La Samanna. It makes me very happy to read that you were pleased with your room (great description thanks!), the staff and our services. I will make sure to share your review with the staff. We surely hope you decide to visit us again.
Antigua WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at la Samanna this week from Wednesday to Thursday. The views are unbeatable. My room was one bedroom ocean front. Very well appointed comfortable room. The restaurant was good for breakfast, nice spread of the usual stuff, eggs, bacon sausages, fruit, cereal, bagels toast yogurt etc. it was not the greatest breakfast buffet but superior to many I have experienced. The staff was really lovely, very attentive, helpful and friendly. The bar in the main lobby was okay, the day staff were not the best with cocktails but the guys at night we good. The pool bar was very cool and the bar manager Romel was probably the most outstanding staff member I came across, really professional, exceptional in how he handled the customers. Nice selection of wine, spirits at both bars. The food was good at the beach bar, one mistake though we had the most amazing grilled sea bass one day for lunch and they insisted it was wahoo. Not sure how that happened but it was lovely so I didn't complain. The two pools on property are nice, but the one at the beach bar is the better of the two. I did a treatment at the spa, I had a mani pedi and a Swedish massage. The mani pedi wasn't great, was over in 20 minutes and I am used to me thorough relaxing pedicures. Would not recommend theirs. The massage however was very very good. They are pricey though but they typical guests at this hotel are not going to be watching their pennies. It was overall a great stay and I would recommend if you wanted a treat. It is good for families with young kids but I think teens and Tweens would be bored at this property. It is somewhat remote and away from the more exciting parts of st martin.
One comment additionally , if you have a room by the pool bar and you sleep with windows open, they set the tables at 530 am and this woke me up. They need to do something about that.

Room Tip: Bit of a long walk to the rooms on the far end of the property.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear marita_la,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review La Samanna on Tripadvisor, I really appreciate all comments as it allows us to evaluate any areas that are not up to our guests standards. I am delighted that you enjoyed our property, rooms as well as finding all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I will make sure recognition is given to those names mentioned as our staff always love positive feedback. I am so sorry to hear that one of your treatments at the spa was not up to standard and if returning to La Samanna in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that we can ensure you can experience that service again in a proper manner. La Samanna is in a very private and peaceful area of the island, we are lucky to be only a ten to fifteen minute drive to both Marigot and Maho where there is lots of restaurants, nightlife and activities. I do hope you chose to come and visit our little piece of paradise again, and thank you again for giving us such great feedback!

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!