La Samana disappointed from beginning to end of our one overnight stay. It started at arrival from St. Barths via ferry where we had been promised a taxi pickup. There was none. When I called the hotel, the person demanded to know who had committed to the transfer - but since I had no access to my emails, I couldn't tell her. She then said - "just get your own taxi" with no apology whatsoever. Upon arrival, we were brought to our room and found food from the previous guests left on the dresser. They quickly cleared it away and we went to the beach. But, when I returned to my room, I couldn't get in. I trekked up to the office (a very long walk) for new keys, trekked back - still wouldn't open. I called the office from the beach bar, then waited back at the room. It took 1-1/2 hours to get access to the room and I was asked to wait there (the maintenance man was very apologetic). By the time we got back down to the beach to sail the Hobie Cat it was 4:15 and were told "too late - we close at 4:30!" Famished, I went back to the beach bar to get a bite, only to be told they stop serving food at 4 p.m.! So, we checked the internet site and decided on the "casual" restaurant but when we went there we were told there was only one restaurant - Trellis - no others. We had no information whatsoever about the resort in our room or provided to us. No map, no list of activities, when facilities open or close - nothing. The next morning I was surprised to see a yoga class pool-side - how do those people know about such an activity? I would have wanted to join in. I ordered room service for breakfast (from quite a rude person) and of course the order arrived wrong - one too many continental breakfasts! The server was the only bright spot - she was very friendly. While she brought the newspaper, again, no resort information. We only stayed one night - which was one too many. After 6 days in St. Barths at the fabulousTom Beach Hotel (see my 5-star review) the La Samana was a major disappointment. Never again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Samanna nestles amongst lush gardens overlooking 55 acres of spectacular beachfront. A complete resort in itself, La Samanna offers a spectacular private beach, two poolside terraces, 83 luxurious rooms and suites and 8 newly completed 4600sq. ft. villas with private pools. Enjoy its sophisticated food offerings and award winning wine cellar, indulge in its European Elysees Spa, or simply enjoy the privacy and relaxation of this sophisticated and sensual French-Caribbean enclave. La Samanna is everything you could wish for in a Caribbean hideaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Amex, Belmond, Splendia, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Belmond La Samanna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Samanna By Orient-Express Hotel St. Maarten/St. Martin
- La Samanna Hotel
- La Samanna Resort St Martin