“Paradise Found” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond La Samanna

Save Saved
You added Belmond La Samanna to your Saves list
Belmond La Samanna
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Baie Longue | PO Box 4077, Terres Basses 97064, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Discover Belmond
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Terres Basses
Chicago
“Paradise Found”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I recently spent a week at La Samanna. It was our second visit. Our experience was wonderful. Upon arriving at the resort, we felt secluded and pampered beyond our dreams. The beach is one of the most beautiful we have ever seen. But, though the grounds, facilities and the beach stand out, the staff is their greatest asset. They make you feel special - from treating you to fruit, pastries and water on the beach, to remembering your dinner and wine preference. The concierge was helpful with off-hotel arrangements and our needs were well anticipated. The accommodations were very comfortable and stylish. The decor was tropical contemporary. We will make this resort a regular stop in the future and hope to bring our families along.

Room Tip: Beachfront suites afford the best ocean views and access to the beach.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Allan F,

Thank you kindly for your wonderful review of La Samanna. Whether you were enjoying fruit and pastries at our Beach Bar or dinner at one of our two restaurants, Interlude or Trellis, we are pleased to hear that our staff were able to make you feel special and fulfill all your needs. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and proud to have such an amazing beach that our guests are able to enjoy. We are more then delighted you have come to our tropical paradise twice already and hope that you and your wife will return again soon. Thank you again.

649 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband surprised me with a trip to La Samanna and it was a trip to remember. We were lucky enough to stay in 10M. My husband arranged for us to have a private dinner served on the beach. It was a full moon and the hotel created the most incredible setting and meal for us. The entire experience was wonderful. The beach is secluded and there are wonderful toys to play with. I loved the plexiglass kayaks.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Juliet B,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are thrilled to hear that the private dinner on Baie Longue was a wonderful experience for the two of you. We are lucky to have such an incredible beach setting where these private events can take place. We do hope you come back to visit our little piece of paradise and enjoy the plexiglass kayaks once again. Thank you again.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

One of the best times I've ever had. A beautiful place....that will take your breath away. Loved the beach truly fantastic. At night I slept with the door to porch open....listened to the sound of the waves. I came by myself to get away. A life changing experience. The staff was incredible. When I arrived my room was not ready and I had to wait for a little while...they treated me to drinks at the bar and gave me dinner even though I did not expect it!.
The staff truly wanted to help me and I felt they were invested in my happiness! Weather it was the front desk always sure to give a smile and ask about my well being or the concierge who was fantastic in helping me to find great places on the island to go. The waiters at the restaurant were kind and seemed happy. Housekeeping kept the room immaculate and did it with a smile. The bar tender at the poolside bar was great as well. I was there to relax and they were there to spoil me.
You must try the Spa! It was truly one of the best I have ever been to! Oh my god it is heaven on earth! One of the best massages I've ever had. Afterwards I took a shower in their outdoor facility surrounded by lush green nature. Truly paradise.
The whole stay was not inexpensive but well worth it. I cant wait to return. A very heartfelt thanks to the staff for making my trip one I will always remember.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Richard S
Thank you very much for your wonderful review of La Samanna. On behalf of the entire staff, You’re Most Welcomed! I am very pleased that you felt the staff was there to make you happy and to ensure that your stay was one to remember – that is what we want all our guests to feel. I am delighted that you were able to experience so many of our facilities. You cannot wait to return and we cannot wait to have you back. We hope to see you soon in our little paradise.
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My family and I just came back from La Samanna, and it was an incredible trip! From the location, to the accomodations, to the food, to the spa, to the beach, to the staff, and to the activities - everything was amazing.

La Samanna is a very special place, and we were extremely lucky to be able to stay there with our large group - 13 people including a teenager, kids under 12, toddlers and infants. All of our requests were handled with ease - especially for the kids and babies. The Concierge Staff are awesome, and they were so helpful with everything that we needed during our stay.

Our room was perfect - opened up onto the beach. Very luxurious and very quiet. Super comfortable too.

The food is delicious. Yes....it is expensive - but all nice restaurants on the island are expensive. It was definitely worth it! Gil and his team are hard at work day and night, and the food is really fantastic. Have dessert at Trellis - the Mille Feuille is to die for! And...if you want to do something really special...have Stephanie organize a prvate beach BBQ - absolutely incredible!

The spa is fabulous - best massages I've ever had. Do not miss the outdoor shower too. Nice way to complete the spa experience.

The beach staff rock! They will get you whatever you need - including lots of yummy frozen drinks from the beach bar.

If you are traveling with young children and need a babysitter, they will arrange that too. They work with a great agency on the island.

I cannot say enough about this resort - and we have traveled a lot. We look forward to visiting again - hopefully next year...

Room Tip: We loved our room - ground floor, ocean view 2 bedroom suite. We were right next to the beach bar o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Wexlers,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at La Samanna . I am happy to read you had a wonderful experience with your family. We had a great time having you all here too and are pleased to hear that you are already thinking of coming back. La Samanna is a great place for family getaways and as you saw, the staff works very hard to make sure each family trip is a trip of a lifetime. It is fantastic to read such positive feedback from our clients; it truly does make our day. We truly do hope you come again.
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Staying at la Samanna is staying at a luxurious home were you get pampered all day long. You don't feel like being in a hotel but at someone's home. Being at the pool and being surprised with a mango freshly made ice cream, enjoying dinner by the beach... The memories are mind blowing!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear PamPB,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am so happy to read that you felt like you were home, that is essential for us. You will need to return to make even more mind blowing memories, we will welcome you with open arms – just like at home. Thank you again.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I'll start with the good things: the location is gorgeous, lovely beach. The hotel facility is really nice and rooms are very pretty and comfortable. Bed is amazing, had the best sleep in years.

These are very important qualities, but somehow expected if you are paying 600 usd/night in a Caribbean resort.

Unfortunately, having in mind the following cons, it seems like the hotel is a bit overpriced due to its outstanding location and beach:

Service was way below expectations. Examples:
1. We arrived a bit past noon (the hotel delivered diligently its pick up service at the airport though), and had to wait approximately one hour to get our room. We understand that check in time is 4pm, but the hotel was nowhere close from being full (confirmed by the lady that finally showed us the room)... why the wait?
2. We had booked an ocean view suite... the problem with the room is that it was just beside the beach restaurant... with no ocean view. Moreover, the people at the restaurant had a great view of our suite (ground level). So much for privacy. Besides, the A/C didn't work.
We requested a room change, and the person who showed us the room told us that we shouldn't, given that we had booked a "Suite dreams" package, which had a discount. The package never said that the ocean view suite had no ocean view because it was a package. Outrageous! She said she would look into it, though. As time went by and nothing happened, I called front desk and a different lady understood the problem and solved the issue by changing us to a better located room, with a proper view... in a couple of hours.
3. Lunch: my wife ordered a caesar salad and myself a burger. After half an hour we received only the burger... we claimed for the salad. Three waiters acknowledged the situation but as the salad didn't arrive I started to eat the burger. The salad never arrived.

It should be noted, that the service provided by the beach boys was outstanding. The best service of the hotel.

Regarding the hotel's restaurants, the food isn't anything special, and they are overpriced. Service is annoying as well. We preferred to ask for a taxi and have dinner in Marigot or Nettle Bay.

Everything at the hotel had to be asked, there was a complete lack of initiative. Example: when we ran out of shower gel, we had to call front desk and ask for it. Staff didn't necessarily replenish it on a daily basis.

These service issues might seem shallow, but I believe they are total unacceptable for a hotel of the price and status of La Samanna.

Summary: excellent property and beach, but totally lacking of 5 star behavior.

Room Tip: Avoid F and G buildings, just beside the beach restaurant.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Eduardo S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience at La Samanna. I am so pleased that you found our beach, the property setting and our beach service to your liking.

I must, however, sincerely apologize for the service deficiencies that you experienced. The shortcomings that you articulated are not shallow, and I am sorry that they impacted the overall enjoyment of your visit to La Samanna.

Thank you again for your comments; we take all feedback good or bad to heart and work diligently to improve in those areas where we have fallen short.

We hope you consider returning to La Samanna, and if so, that you will please contact me directly to orchestrate your visit and ensure that your preferences are well anticipated.

Kind regards,
Riverhead, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We arrived on 11/03/2012 the day after the hotel opened. While our stay was not awful it was a let down after all we had heard. Our room was not ready but we did arrive early so no big deal. We had a drink at the bar and noticed the wine bar was closed and remaind closed our entire stay, the floors were being redone. We were upgraded to a nice suite. The issue was no one explained anything about the property. For two days we never knew there was a second pool with a bar, we were just left to explore for ourselfs. There was no map in the room to show anything relating to the hotel. The first night we went to the beach for a swim and found it very rocky. When we asked if this was normal we were told by several staff members who looked puzzeled that there were no rocks. After three days other guests told us to move to the middle of the beach where it was better, why the staff would not tell us is a bit troubling. We rented a car from the hotel and it lost the brakes while I was driving, not the hotels fault and the chatge was removed but still made a nice vaction day a day of stress. The spa and staff there were first class and the highlight of the trip. No music near the bar in the evening it had no feel that it was a place to stay and enjoy a nitecap. The staff was always nice no issues there. The feeling we had was while the hotel was open they were not ready to be open. There were other issues daily but I do not want to bash the place it is not my intention. We heard so many wonderful things about the place we felt let down. I hope as the season goes on they work out the bugs with the service. Again this was a nice place with nice people but a letdown to what we expected.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms out side the main building are best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Vincent N,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience at La Samanna. While I am very happy to hear that you think the resort and staff was nice, I am truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. There is no excuse for the lack of information that our staff failed to provide you. We have taken your comments very seriously and have been following up already with our staff to rectify this right away.
We would like to thank you again for your business and we would love to welcoming you back in the near future and make sure that you have a wonderful experience with us.

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!