We arrived on 11/03/2012 the day after the hotel opened. While our stay was not awful it was a let down after all we had heard. Our room was not ready but we did arrive early so no big deal. We had a drink at the bar and noticed the wine bar was closed and remaind closed our entire stay, the floors were being redone. We were upgraded to a nice suite. The issue was no one explained anything about the property. For two days we never knew there was a second pool with a bar, we were just left to explore for ourselfs. There was no map in the room to show anything relating to the hotel. The first night we went to the beach for a swim and found it very rocky. When we asked if this was normal we were told by several staff members who looked puzzeled that there were no rocks. After three days other guests told us to move to the middle of the beach where it was better, why the staff would not tell us is a bit troubling. We rented a car from the hotel and it lost the brakes while I was driving, not the hotels fault and the chatge was removed but still made a nice vaction day a day of stress. The spa and staff there were first class and the highlight of the trip. No music near the bar in the evening it had no feel that it was a place to stay and enjoy a nitecap. The staff was always nice no issues there. The feeling we had was while the hotel was open they were not ready to be open. There were other issues daily but I do not want to bash the place it is not my intention. We heard so many wonderful things about the place we felt let down. I hope as the season goes on they work out the bugs with the service. Again this was a nice place with nice people but a letdown to what we expected.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Samanna nestles amongst lush gardens overlooking 55 acres of spectacular beachfront. A complete resort in itself, La Samanna offers a spectacular private beach, two poolside terraces, 83 luxurious rooms and suites and 8 newly completed 4600sq. ft. villas with private pools. Enjoy its sophisticated food offerings and award winning wine cellar, indulge in its European Elysees Spa, or simply enjoy the privacy and relaxation of this sophisticated and sensual French-Caribbean enclave. La Samanna is everything you could wish for in a Caribbean hideaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Belmond La Samanna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Samanna By Orient-Express Hotel St. Maarten/St. Martin
- La Samanna Hotel
- La Samanna Resort St Martin