“Nice hotel and still can improve to the best” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Penang

You added Four Points by Sheraton Penang to your Saves list
Four Points by Sheraton Penang
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505, Jalan Tanjung Bungah | Penang, Malaysia, Tanjung Bungah, Penang Island 11200, Malaysia (Formerly Tanjung Bungah Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Tanjung Bungah
ipoh
“Nice hotel and still can improve to the best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is my first time staying at Four Points Penang after its opening on October.

Pros:
1. The lobby is always blow by a breezy wind.
2. Beautiful and sandy beach.
3. Clean and tidy room.
4. Good location (reachable by public transport from Penang jetty, and it is quite near to Batu Feringgi and Gurney Drive if you have own transport.)
5. Simple and nice lobby.
6. FREE and STRONG internet connection (I still can connect to the wifi even i'm at the human-made island which is quite far away from the hotel).
7. Very nice room decoration.
8. Extremely nice and comfort beds.

Cons:
1. The housekeepers is much more friendly than the front office staff (at least the housekeepers greet me every time I encounter with them)
2. The car park lot is really a big trouble for this hotel, serves only not more than 50 parking lot for total 220 guest rooms.
3. Although the window is double-glazed, the noisy from roadside still can be heard.
4. Another problem for car driver is the hotel is just by the roadside and traffic light, it is very difficult to exit from the hotel if there is a traffic jam.
5. The room is quite small especially the bathroom.
6. The glass to seperate the shower area in the bathroom is quite useless.
7. UNCONTROLLABLE air-cond controller.
8. The passenger lifts are small that can only fit maximum 7 persons.

Suggestions:
1. Solve the car park issue as soon as possible.
2. Change the glass in the bathroom with other thing which can really avoid water splash out. (for example curtain or build a door to separate it completely)
3. Add more channels to the tv listing.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor rooms as the coconut trees will block the seaview.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Hi there Derrickee and thank you for posting a review with suggestions. We are actively working on the parking issue as well as looking to find a better solution to the splashing water in the bathrooms. On a more positive note, thank you very much for pointing out the positives and for also recognizing the friendliness of our housekeeping associates.
Hoping to welcome you back again soon.
Kurt.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We decided to go on with our booking and give Four Points a try despite a number of unfavorable reviews here.

Arrived quite early after an adventurous drive from the airport.
I noticed there were some parking spots left, considering it was a Friday afternoon. LOL.

The open and spacious lobby seemed inviting with bright colors in simple and modern settings but can be quite noisy at times by the traffic sounds.

Thanks for the feedback of previous guests, Four Points seems to have listened and rectified most of the complaints.
There's a glass wall between shower and toilet, room amenities were 'almost' complete (iron, ironing board, hair dryer etc) however bathroom amenities were as basic as it can be, but you can personally request for toothbrush, shaver & shaving cream, hair comb etc. Which we did.

The room was bright and cheerful, facing the beautiful sea on the fourth floor.
We got two over-sized single beds with total of eight pillows. Awesome.
Beds were thick with soft white comforters (nice pattern similar to Four Points logo it looked), A/C was strong (a funny reason for me to take multiple long hot showers!).

The beach - just a nice small strip but well kept. There was a small man-made island too. I didn't bother to get wet though. Pool was in an average scale and we could see children were enjoying themselves all day.

Room service was quick, ordered beef rendang and fried rice (loved the accompanying sweet pickled white cabbage! Care to share the recipe?). Prices were affordable. Worth a try!

Thanks to Four Points, you made our first visit to Penang a pleasant and memorable one.

Room Tip: To muslim guests: qibla arrow is placed inside the writing table drawer. Book your room facing the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hi Alkuden and thank you for posting the review on your stay.
Very happy to read that we met your expectations and that you recognize that many items were fixed following our guest comments. We definitely still have room for improvement and I can guarantee that we will only get better moving forward. As for the sweet pickle and cabbage recipe, don't hesitate to contact myself and I will be happy to put you in touch with our chef who can teach you how to cook it ... or you may just ask us during your next visit.
Looking forward to that .. Kurt.
Penang, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I booked a room thru their official website, and wrote down a request for a birthday cake to surprise my boyfriend. We arrived there about 4pm, and the staff remember my name and told me cake already send to my room. At my first thought, I imagine it will be a piece of cake and might charge on me. But they didn't, the cake charges didn't appear in my bill, totally FOC.

Room is big enough and clean. It would be better if the bathroom can be bigger.

Lack of parking slot is major problem.

Strategy location, from hotel to Strait Quay is about 10 mins distance.

Suggestion, get a bell boy to help customer send the luggage to room and also point the room direction.

Anyway, I might be back to this hotel if there are birthday celebration again. This time, I will book for seaview room.

Room Tip: Room is clean, and staffs are friendly.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Wynn H and thank you for visiting us and for choosing our hotel to celebrate this mile-stone event in your life.
Thank you also for the favourable review, we're very happy that we met your expectations and look very much forward to welcoming you again!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

An unplanned trip from Port Dickson to Penang, my niece recommended the hotel and made the booking online, as she had done for me on numerous occasions before. However, due to some technicalities, it took us a good 40 minutes or so before we could check in.

Other than that hiccup, we had a very pleasant stay. The service is good and the staff are friendly and courteous. The breakfast spread is also very good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Hi there and thank you for posting a review.
It's nice to read that we met your expectations and I'm particularly happy about the fact that our associates were helpful and friendly, which is what we would like to be known for.
Looking forward to welcome you back.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I booked a stay at this hotel over the weekend considering it as a new hotel. Upon arrival, the first thing i noticed about the hotel was the lack of parking space. I was lucky that upon arrival another car was exiting. I left to ponder what would happen later at night, which was a horror as I came back to the hotel to a place with no parking.

Check in was smooth and it took me about 5 minutes. The access key cards were working fine for entry. We had a pleasant surprise with a welcome fondue at our table. However, the welcome note was addressed to the wrong person. The room design was modern and chic. The colours were lively. I loved the seaview from my room. The view of the sunset from my room was truly breathtaking. The beds and pillows were also comfy to the extend that it made us didn't want to get out of the bed. It was also great that they gave complimentary bottled water, Dilmah tea and coffee.

The toilet was okay. We didn't like the shower glass as it was practically useless in preventing the splash was wetting the toilet floor. Water pressure was great with very constant temperature unlike many hotels that we have been to. It would be great to include toiletries such as toothbrushes and shaving kit at the sink as I would have to request for these items. Perhaps it was the hotel's policy to have some savings.

The breakfast experience was also a so-so affair, which was a little disappointing because we usually look forward to a good breakfast at the hotel in the morning. Thankfully, we had a good spot facing the sea. The dining area inside was stuffy with oil smell filling the area. I believe it was due to the eggs counter which the management should consider fixing a better ventilation system for it. The food was average except for the croissant which I find was great.

I would definitely return to this hotel for the awesome view, comfortable room and affordable price. Maybe just putting the breakfast a miss.

Room Tip: Choose the room on the higher floors with a seaview
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Hi there fuzzy321 and thank you for posting a review.
I'm very happy to read that overall we met your expectation. Rest assured that our chef is currently looking into the breakfast so that also a better offer will be provided.
Looking forward to see you again.
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in four points for 3 days and 2 nights in the premier room during the 2nd week of November which happened to falls on the marathon weekend. Well, I would not say it was a bad stay however that are some issues that i would need to highlight in order for the hotel to improve. Lets get it from the start, when I arrived in the hotel, the parking was terrible as I have to double park as there are limited parking lots at the hotel. Next, the check-in i would say it was quite fast and efficient however I was surprise that the room does not comes with breakfast. I do not have much comment about the deco of the room as I think its not too bad. But for the shower room, I think they would need to do something about it as the water always flood out to the basin area. Card slots for lightings was not functioning until I need to try for more than 5 times. My room was not properly locked after the housekeeping came in and clean. I think this should be one of the most important thing the hotel should look into it. Parking was really bad during the evening as you have to double park your car and leave down your contact number. My question here is, what if middle of the night some other guest want to go out? Do you contact a guest which is sleeping to come down and remove his/her car? I believe this is another issue the hotel should look into it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there ChrisLow and thank you for visiting us.
Thank you also for posting a review and for sharing your experience. It is through comments like yours that I am able to detect the weaknesses and ultimately shift focus. I'm very happy to inform you that our key-card issues have been rectified. I'm very sorry that we were not able to detect the root cause of this re-occurring issue earlier and that this affected your stay. I also would like to inform you that we have a range of different room rates, amongst which we also have a breakfast inclusive rate of RM 249,- as well. I hope that this clarifies some of the issues. Lastly as for housekeeping services, I'm sorry that we did not meet the expectations. Security is one of my main priorities. Rest assured that this issue has been addressed to the department head so that this does not re-occur.
Looking forward to welcome you back to convince you of our standards.
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My wife, baby and I stayed at the hotel in early November, about one month after it opened. We had booked the hotel just before it opened on 1 October as we thought a new hotel by Sheraton (Starwood Hotels) should be reasonably decent. As it turned out, this was our worst ever hotel experience. This hotel is not ready to accept guests – the equipment do not work and the staff not adequately trained. Starwood Hotels have done a horrendous disservice to its guests by opening this hotel in its current state.

Our problems at the hotel:

Malfunctioning card slots for power - we stayed in 2 rooms (we had to change rooms on the first night) - in both rooms, the card slots to turn on the lights did not work. The front office’s advice to press the card down as hard as possible was useless. You just have to keep slotting the card in and out and hope you eventually got lucky and the lights came on. Same problem on the second day – this time, we got smart and left a spare card in the slot for the rest of our stay.

Malfunctioning card keys – the card key would not work when we tried to unlock the door, EVERY SINGLE DAY. So I would need to go down to the reception, have the card key revalidated and return to the room. As you can imagine, when you have a tired and fussy baby in your hands, this was a most unpleasant experience. The wife took to sitting on the floor with the baby while waiting for me to run down to the reception and run back.

Malfunctioning air-conditioning – the air-conditioning in our first room was at 21 Celcius and getting colder, and could not be adjusted. The engineering staff was not able to fix the problem and arranged for us to be moved to another room (a big Thank You to Mari from engineering for taking the initiative to arrange another room for us).

No response for room service – we had to order room service for dinner the three nights we stayed at the hotel. On all three nights, calling room service was futile as no one would pick up the line. The trick, it seems, was to call front office and have them redirect the call to the café. I’m not sure if this was a technology problem (i.e room service phone line did not work) or a staff problem (i.e staff did not pick up the call). And we had no luck calling room service to pick up the plates after our meals either. So we would leave the plates outside our door, and they were not picked up until our dinner for the next evening was delivered.

Poor house-keeping – towels were not replaced, duvet were not properly secured to its cover (the duvet collected at the bottom of the duvet cover), pieces of garbage on the table were not cleared (used napkins and food containers).

Security issues – on our second last day at the hotel, our room was not locked after it was cleaned. I spoke with the front office manager (Adrian) who apologized and said he would look at the housekeeping records and take the appropriate action. I would have appreciated if he subsequently followed-up and explained what action was taken, but unfortunately, that was not the case.

Other issues – bathroom design flaws especially in the shower area (not adequately covered to prevent water from running off to the rest of the bathroom, and no hook to hang towels), inadequate parking (good luck if you need to park a car in the evening), inadequate language training (parking staff do not appear to understand English).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hi there and thank you very much for visiting us.
I am so very sorry to read that your stay was affected by the malfunctioning of the key cards. Happy to inform that together with the manufacturer, we finally found the root-cause of this reoccurring issue and have permanently fixed this problem.
As we also discussed on the phone, security is my main concern and I have addressed the department head has addressed this issue with the associate involved.
I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you again. Thank you.
Kurt.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Penang? Share your experiences!