“Relaxing holiday by the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Penang

You added Four Points by Sheraton Penang to your Saves list
Four Points by Sheraton Penang
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505, Jalan Tanjung Bungah | Penang, Malaysia, Tanjung Bungah, Penang Island 11200, Malaysia (Formerly Tanjung Bungah Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tanjung Bungah
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Relaxing holiday by the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

An unplanned trip from Port Dickson to Penang, my niece recommended the hotel and made the booking online, as she had done for me on numerous occasions before. However, due to some technicalities, it took us a good 40 minutes or so before we could check in.

Other than that hiccup, we had a very pleasant stay. The service is good and the staff are friendly and courteous. The breakfast spread is also very good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Hi there and thank you for posting a review.
It's nice to read that we met your expectations and I'm particularly happy about the fact that our associates were helpful and friendly, which is what we would like to be known for.
Looking forward to welcome you back.
Kurt.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I booked a stay at this hotel over the weekend considering it as a new hotel. Upon arrival, the first thing i noticed about the hotel was the lack of parking space. I was lucky that upon arrival another car was exiting. I left to ponder what would happen later at night, which was a horror as I came back to the hotel to a place with no parking.

Check in was smooth and it took me about 5 minutes. The access key cards were working fine for entry. We had a pleasant surprise with a welcome fondue at our table. However, the welcome note was addressed to the wrong person. The room design was modern and chic. The colours were lively. I loved the seaview from my room. The view of the sunset from my room was truly breathtaking. The beds and pillows were also comfy to the extend that it made us didn't want to get out of the bed. It was also great that they gave complimentary bottled water, Dilmah tea and coffee.

The toilet was okay. We didn't like the shower glass as it was practically useless in preventing the splash was wetting the toilet floor. Water pressure was great with very constant temperature unlike many hotels that we have been to. It would be great to include toiletries such as toothbrushes and shaving kit at the sink as I would have to request for these items. Perhaps it was the hotel's policy to have some savings.

The breakfast experience was also a so-so affair, which was a little disappointing because we usually look forward to a good breakfast at the hotel in the morning. Thankfully, we had a good spot facing the sea. The dining area inside was stuffy with oil smell filling the area. I believe it was due to the eggs counter which the management should consider fixing a better ventilation system for it. The food was average except for the croissant which I find was great.

I would definitely return to this hotel for the awesome view, comfortable room and affordable price. Maybe just putting the breakfast a miss.

Room Tip: Choose the room on the higher floors with a seaview
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Hi there fuzzy321 and thank you for posting a review.
I'm very happy to read that overall we met your expectation. Rest assured that our chef is currently looking into the breakfast so that also a better offer will be provided.
Looking forward to see you again.
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in four points for 3 days and 2 nights in the premier room during the 2nd week of November which happened to falls on the marathon weekend. Well, I would not say it was a bad stay however that are some issues that i would need to highlight in order for the hotel to improve. Lets get it from the start, when I arrived in the hotel, the parking was terrible as I have to double park as there are limited parking lots at the hotel. Next, the check-in i would say it was quite fast and efficient however I was surprise that the room does not comes with breakfast. I do not have much comment about the deco of the room as I think its not too bad. But for the shower room, I think they would need to do something about it as the water always flood out to the basin area. Card slots for lightings was not functioning until I need to try for more than 5 times. My room was not properly locked after the housekeeping came in and clean. I think this should be one of the most important thing the hotel should look into it. Parking was really bad during the evening as you have to double park your car and leave down your contact number. My question here is, what if middle of the night some other guest want to go out? Do you contact a guest which is sleeping to come down and remove his/her car? I believe this is another issue the hotel should look into it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there ChrisLow and thank you for visiting us.
Thank you also for posting a review and for sharing your experience. It is through comments like yours that I am able to detect the weaknesses and ultimately shift focus. I'm very happy to inform you that our key-card issues have been rectified. I'm very sorry that we were not able to detect the root cause of this re-occurring issue earlier and that this affected your stay. I also would like to inform you that we have a range of different room rates, amongst which we also have a breakfast inclusive rate of RM 249,- as well. I hope that this clarifies some of the issues. Lastly as for housekeeping services, I'm sorry that we did not meet the expectations. Security is one of my main priorities. Rest assured that this issue has been addressed to the department head so that this does not re-occur.
Looking forward to welcome you back to convince you of our standards.
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My wife, baby and I stayed at the hotel in early November, about one month after it opened. We had booked the hotel just before it opened on 1 October as we thought a new hotel by Sheraton (Starwood Hotels) should be reasonably decent. As it turned out, this was our worst ever hotel experience. This hotel is not ready to accept guests – the equipment do not work and the staff not adequately trained. Starwood Hotels have done a horrendous disservice to its guests by opening this hotel in its current state.

Our problems at the hotel:

Malfunctioning card slots for power - we stayed in 2 rooms (we had to change rooms on the first night) - in both rooms, the card slots to turn on the lights did not work. The front office’s advice to press the card down as hard as possible was useless. You just have to keep slotting the card in and out and hope you eventually got lucky and the lights came on. Same problem on the second day – this time, we got smart and left a spare card in the slot for the rest of our stay.

Malfunctioning card keys – the card key would not work when we tried to unlock the door, EVERY SINGLE DAY. So I would need to go down to the reception, have the card key revalidated and return to the room. As you can imagine, when you have a tired and fussy baby in your hands, this was a most unpleasant experience. The wife took to sitting on the floor with the baby while waiting for me to run down to the reception and run back.

Malfunctioning air-conditioning – the air-conditioning in our first room was at 21 Celcius and getting colder, and could not be adjusted. The engineering staff was not able to fix the problem and arranged for us to be moved to another room (a big Thank You to Mari from engineering for taking the initiative to arrange another room for us).

No response for room service – we had to order room service for dinner the three nights we stayed at the hotel. On all three nights, calling room service was futile as no one would pick up the line. The trick, it seems, was to call front office and have them redirect the call to the café. I’m not sure if this was a technology problem (i.e room service phone line did not work) or a staff problem (i.e staff did not pick up the call). And we had no luck calling room service to pick up the plates after our meals either. So we would leave the plates outside our door, and they were not picked up until our dinner for the next evening was delivered.

Poor house-keeping – towels were not replaced, duvet were not properly secured to its cover (the duvet collected at the bottom of the duvet cover), pieces of garbage on the table were not cleared (used napkins and food containers).

Security issues – on our second last day at the hotel, our room was not locked after it was cleaned. I spoke with the front office manager (Adrian) who apologized and said he would look at the housekeeping records and take the appropriate action. I would have appreciated if he subsequently followed-up and explained what action was taken, but unfortunately, that was not the case.

Other issues – bathroom design flaws especially in the shower area (not adequately covered to prevent water from running off to the rest of the bathroom, and no hook to hang towels), inadequate parking (good luck if you need to park a car in the evening), inadequate language training (parking staff do not appear to understand English).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hi there and thank you very much for visiting us.
I am so very sorry to read that your stay was affected by the malfunctioning of the key cards. Happy to inform that together with the manufacturer, we finally found the root-cause of this reoccurring issue and have permanently fixed this problem.
As we also discussed on the phone, security is my main concern and I have addressed the department head has addressed this issue with the associate involved.
I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you again. Thank you.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed there under the opening promotion in early November when there hotel was barely a month old. Having read all the reviews I was prepared for the worst, and I was proven wrong :)

Pros:
- Check in experience was pleasant and we got a free upgrade to the sea view room.
- The staff around the hotel, from concierge to the cafe to housekeeping were all friendly and helpful.
- Amazing ocean view from the room and the beach is literally right below although no one uses it.
- Room service was fast, my food arrived in less than 15mins considering I ordered it past midnight.

Cons:
- Cleanliness of the room - it was overall acceptable apart from the used bread knife we found lying next to the safe in the wardrobe and the few dead insects in the bathroom that remained there throughout our stay.
- Location is quiet and close to town area but you will always have to take a taxi to anywhere.
- They don't vacuum the carpets when the make up the rooms.
- Not enough amenities in bathroom although housekeeping would gladly provide upon request.

It was generally a good stay but definitely lots of room for improvements, I hope it gets better in future.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Hi there and thank you for posting a review. It's nice to read that you liked our hotel and the services. I took note of your comment about the cleanliness and hope to convince you of our usual high standards during your next trip to Penang. Thank you - Kurt.
Denpasar, Bali
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Location is by the main road at the Tanjung Bungah resort area. About 10 minutes drive to Gurney and 15 minutes drive to Georgetown city center. Not much to do in the area around the hotel. I was assigned a room on the 4th floor facing the main road, and it was noisy. I think the glass window is NOT thick enough to block street noise. Awoke a couple of times at night due to loud motorcycle noise from the street (illegal street race?). Room decor is excellent, bed is comfy. However, my room was NOT clean. I found thrash just below the curtain (a couple of discarded sweets) and guest room wall was full of scratch. The carpet in the elevator foyer was also littered with debris when I first walk into my room for check in. Water from shower area keep overflowing onto the rest of the bathroom due to minimal incline on the shower floor. Check in and check out was rather slow. Non existent elite SPG member recognition. On the brighter side, staff was really helpful when I requested help to locate missing item in my room after check

Room Tip: Avoid the road facing rooms at all cost!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hi there and thank you for posting a review.
My aim is to meet every guests' expectation and I'm very sorry we failed to do that when it comes to the cleanliness of the room. Rest assured that your comment was looked into seriously and that corrective action has been taken for other guests not to be similarly inconvenienced. I hope however, that this won't hold you from returning back to us in the future and remain with very best regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This hotel was formerly known as the Tanjung Bungah Beach Hotel until it was acquired by the Starwood group. Tanjung Bungah is a vicinity between Georgetown and Batu Feringghi. The location is quite a distance away from the main town area, and access may be an issue if you don't have a car to move around.

This weekend, we hosted some friends from Singapore, and among them was a couple who recently found out they have a baby on the way so comfort was an essential issue to us. We booked our rooms for this hotel on the opening special price.

Before our trip, I came on TripAdvisor to read some reviews, and I have to admit that I was quite turned off by the reviews that have been posted. A common thread among the reviews included parking issues, flooded toilets, and poor service and this was a concern especially when we have a pregnant guest. A day before our scheduled check-in, I wrote an email to the manager seeking clarification on the issues to see if the complaints were valid. Much to my surprise, I received a very reassuring response and with this, we felt a bit more inspired to give the hotel a chance.

On our arrival, there was a large crowd at the check-in counter, and we were forgiving of this given the hotel's new opening, and understandably people were excited to stay at the Four Points. However, we waited in line for more than 15 minutes, before we were served. There was a designated "Starwood Preferred Guest" counter but only one staff member was serving and she was obviously ill-equipped to deal with the crowd. This staff member's name is V. Chew (Penang) or at least that's what her name tag read. As we stood in line, she was busy serving some Arabic-speaking guests who were asking about tourist attractions. Clearly, the counter was intended as a "check-in" counter, not a tourist hot spot / book your tour counter. I found it difficult to fathom why she could not politely refer them to another colleague and expedite the check in process.

That aside, when it was finally our turn to check in, I handed her the printed reservation confirmation from my e-mail which contained a reservation number, my name, and the number of rooms reserved under that one reservation and the dates of check in and check out. For more than 20 minutes, we stood in line while V.Chew (Penang) took her own sweet time clicking and clicking at the computer. In spite of the printed reservation confirmation which clearly indicated we had 2 rooms booked under the single reservation number, she insisted, there was only one room booked in the system.

Then the name saga began, first she asked for my name, which I gave, then she asked for an identification document like an identification card or a passport, which i gave, then she asked me for my name again which I gave, and then SHE ASKED FOR MY NAME AGAIN. At that point, I lost my cool and raised my voice with her and said I've already given you my name and my identification document - which part of it don't you understand? Seriously, you would expect the staff to be literate in reading the English language and there I was repeating my name to this stranger like a broken record.

And then she took my credit card to place an authorization or a guarantee on it for RM600 or that's what she said. She struggled swiping the credit card, walked up and down trying to figure out the credit card machine issues. Finally she realized the machine had no paper, replaced the paper, swiped my credit card again. And I received a text message from Citibank notifying me that my credit card was swiped TWICE for RM1,200. When I raised my voice, her male colleague Adrian (Sabah) hurried over to deal with the reservation. I insisted that the transaction be voided and a void slip be provided to me evidencing the cancellation of the erroneous swipe and guess what? Adrian (Sabah) said we are unable to produce a void slip. He took a cheap black ball point, drew a slash sign across the credit card slip and gave it to me as evidence that the transaction had been voided. What kind of evidence is that? Clearly one that lacks professionalism. There is every chance the bank will accuse me of doctoring the cancellation.

All in all, we spent a total of close to 40 minutes at the check in counter and my mood was marred thanks to the poor service that was demonstrated. After the whole saga, none of the staff extended an offer to help us with our bags, so we took our own bags and headed upstairs to the 3rd floor - where our room faced the carpark. Generally, the noises were not audible, but the noises from the neighbouring rooms and the corridors were extremely audible and disconcerting.

The room was clean and well furnished. The bathroom space was a bit small, but was decent. The only drawback was that the shower area had no separate door- so when you shower, the whole toilet floor will end up being wet. It's perplexing how they could build a shower, sans the shower door. Maybe because the whole bathroom was small and there was no room but still, they could have done a simple sliding door design. I will warn you readers that the bathroom is not at all disabled friendly - so if you have an elderly family member travelling with you, you need to be cautious. Also, the shower floor is quite smooth and slippery - I would have preferred it if they had used some rough textured tiles to ensure no slipping and tripping accidents occur.

Anyway, to summarize and keep this succinct, the things I loved about the Four Points were:

(1) their amazing beachfront view, it was picturesque and tranquil;

(2) the seats / sofa at the lobby - very trendy and comfortable;

(3) the rooms - very spacious, and well designed - i loved the window seat, the TV installation that was tidy and wire free;

(4) the wifi connection was good and fast - easy to connect;

(5) the mattress and pillows were heavenly - very comfortable for a good night's sleep; and

(6) the manager in charge Mr. Kurt Vieren - he will go the extra mile to take care of you and make you feel important - a big thank you Mr. Vieren for your kind efforts and continued assistance.

Some things I felt they need to improve on:

(1) efficiency of the check-in process;

(2) setting up business facilities - Four Points is a business hotel, it will do well to have basic computer/printing facilities;

(3) providing training to the staff on some level of emotional intelligence - a little thoughtfulness will go a long way - try to pick up on nuances, improve on attitude - we booked 2 rooms under one confirmation number and no effort was expended to ensure we got adjacent rooms. All the staff quibbled about was that the hotel was running full occupancy.

(4) the swimming pool was filled with people who were not in swim wear - this raises a hygiene concern - there are pool rules but no one to enforce such rules - how can you allow people and their children to jump into the swimming pool in their regular attire - T shirts and track bottoms. Even if religion is an issue, there are specially designed swim wear for certain religions available in department stores.

(5) parking is obviously a major issue in this hotel - with 220 guestrooms, there is a clear shortage of parking bays.

(6) one evening when we tried to order dinner at the Eatery, the staff informed us that there would be a very long wait due to other patrons who had not yet received their orders and also the overwhelming number of room service requests. While we appreciated the honesty, we were also disappointed. Why is there a shortage of staff to deal with this matter? We were offered 20% off food but we could not make use of it.

That said, I really believe that these issues are just minor teething problems that can be overcome and that all in all, our stay was comfortable and above average compared to the local brands of hotels. I have always enjoyed staying in Starwood properties, and will not hesitate to give this one a second, third or fourth chance.

Room Tip: We were in Room 303 which faced the carpark and in a secluded corner as we had requested for rooms t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Hi there and thank you for staying with us. Thank you also for posting a review. I am very sorry to learn about the long check-in process. Rest assured that I will look into this and simplify the arrival experience, so that guests won't be similarly inconvenienced.
Hopefully we can welcome you again soon so that we can show you our true hospitality.
Thank you - Kurt.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Penang? Share your experiences!