“What is not to like” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 133 Restaurants in Stavanger
Cuisines: Seafood, Norwegian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: With the North Sea as its food store, Straen Fiskerestaurant will not risk running out of ingredients. Straen Fiskerestaurant is a high-standard seafood restaurant. In fact, Straen Fiskerestaurant is quite legendary in a Norwegian context.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“What is not to like”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Food was good, service good, central location on the Quayside nice to stroll along the quay after a nice meal.

Visited May 2014

• Indonesian first
Oslo, Norway
“Cozy place. Traditional restaurant.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The variety of dishes is not so big. Plus they change the menu according tot he season, not always suits your personal taste... Oysters are very fresh and taste delicious! Recommended.
Otherwise, nice and calm atmosphere (no music at all). The place suits for a romantic dinner. But a bit overpriced... Service level is average.

Visited November 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Revulsion for an exorbitant price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I am a fish lover, but......having attempted to eat a slimy, repulsive version of lutefisk at the most expensive restaurant I have ever eaten, has given a horrific dent in this adoration of those tasty swimmers. I had lutefisk a few times in my life, but at this supposedly "excellent" fish restaurant they did everything wrong to this poor man's fish dish one can imagine. The fish not only slid around my plate, its odor was something my cats would run away from. In addition, the few mouthfuls I took were full of bones. I ate here with a group of 14 businessmen, and those 4 of us who tried lutefisk had the same opinion. The biggest shock was the bill. OK, Norway is expensive, thaks to their oil boom, but $185 per person for a small starter, main dish and 2 glasses of wine was far more than excessive.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Santa Fe, NM
“Always come back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Every time I visit Stavanger, I eat at Straen - every evening I am here, and am never disappointed. On this last trip, I had a salad and an outstanding piece of ling cod ("lange") served with an interesting and tasty mix of root vegetables.

I casually asked whether the fish of the day varied, as the choice of fish on the menu was very limited. The response was that they select the best available fish and, recently, the best had been the ling cod. I was happy to come back and try it again the next evening.

When I got back tonight, the chef, expecting me back, had ordered a fresh cod ("torsk") for me, which I thought was even better than the excellent fish the night before. I also ordered their grilled scallops as an appetizer (with an apple butter sauce). They were melt in your mouth good and prepared to perfection. The fish selection was a very thoughtful act on their part.

Some caveats so you know what to expect when you choose Straen. Straen is a fish restaurant period. No meat or poultry. Also, while many American fish restaurants prepare fish your way, at Straen the fish is prepared their way. You are not going to get an array of sauces, cooking techniques, or sides. I imagine if you asked, they would be flexible, but I would strongly suggest that their way is what you order. Also, there is not a lot of choice. At this time of year, the emphasis is on their Christmas menu, which translates into lutefisk - an acquired taste in my opinion. There were three different appetizers and the catch of the day. At other times of year, there are three or four different types of fish to choose from prepared differently. I stress this because I believe some the criticism that read is based less on the food and service but misplaced expectations.

Like all Norwegian restaurants, dinner is expensive by American standards. But I would note that the price differential between going to the best restaurants and average restaurants is not much different. So much of the cost is in labor and taxes (25% sales tax), which is embedded in the menu price. So my advice is choose the best because it won't cost much more and you will be much happier with the service and food.

When in Stavanger, try Straen, at least once. You won't be disappointed!

The restaurant has a typical Norwegian-style ambiance with a nice view of the harbor. Impeccable service.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bergen, Norway
“World class!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

It was more or less a coincidence that we found this wonderful restaurant with a beautiful view over the city center. Friendly service and great food that I can strongly recommend to anyone who likes fish. Their signature fish soup was truly the best fish soup I ever had. Will definitely go there again.

• Visited July 2013