“So far the best meal in Stavanger” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 118 restaurants in Stavanger
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Rome, Italy
“So far the best meal in Stavanger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I am in Stavanger on business with four other people. Tonight we chose Sjohuset and we were really happy with the meal, the service, the atmosphere. First of all we hadn't booked a table and they found a place for us even if the restaurant was full. We had appetizers: scallops for me and one of my colleagues with some vegetables and a safron sauce; two other colleagues had asparagus. Then the main course: at last I could taste the whale; in the menu it was correctly listed under meat, since it is a red meat which reminds beef; the waitress took the time to explain that it is cooked rare. Three of us had the whale with boiled potatoes (and other vegetables which I didn't taste). The other two had Bacalao which is salted cod cooked the Norwegian way. It looked very mouthwatering and almost I thought I made a mistake to choose the whale. My collegues said that it was wonderful. Service was a bit slow, but the waitress very nice and kind.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Terrific setting, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

This restaurant is located in an old building right on the harbor on Skagen street. The interior is dark wood and reminds you of an old boat. Very traditional and nice. Lobster soup and fish of the day were both very nicely done. Wine was expensive (as in all of Norway) but a decent selection for pairing. I would go for the ambiance as this was the most Norwegian-feeling of the restaurants I went to in Stavanger.

• Visited May 2012