“Quaint and Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Bergen
San Diego, California
“Quaint and Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Loved this from the moment the taxi pulled up. A very quaint and warm hotel. The breakfast was delicious, room very clean and everyone was kind and helpful. We walked into town no problem. There are a few hills to get back up to the hotel and no lift in the hotel. So that may be an issue for some. We enjoyed our stay very much and do recommend staying here.

Room Tip: We had three of us traveling. The single rooms are small. Worth asking for a double room for one per...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Crete, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

As a previous reviewer noted, I also can't figure out how this "hotel" (or whatever it claims to be) can get a decent rating. It's noisy, overpriced, and offers minimal anything.
I stayed in room #17, which was average sized, with two single beds, desk and chair, sitting chair and nightstands (no refrigerator or safe) and a TV with BBC, Discovery and 3 others in English. The bathroom was small, with shower only. It's located a 10 minute walk from the central station (which is where you can be dropped off with the airport bus), but the last 3 blocks are uphill and it's not an easy walk with luggage. It's also well hidden, as when you get to the top of the hill you have to walk up some stairs along a building that looks like a private walk (or else walk around an extra couple of blocks on the paved streets).
It has a quiet location next to a park, but the interior noise is ridiculous. I was on the second floor, and could hear people walking by and dishes being cleaned in the nearby kitchen area, and there were other rooms nearby that must hear the same noise. The breakfast area consists of 6 tables (I had to share a table for 4), but you won't spend much time there--breakfast is cereal, bread and meat/cheese, tomato and cucumber, and a few pieces of fruit.
I can think of absolutely nothing to recommend this place, and for the price it's a terrible value.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We are gobsmacked by the reviews on here, remembering our stay from the summer, which was a ripoff considering the room we stayed in. The room, located *directly* behind the reception, must be Norway's most unromantic hotel room. We could clearly hear what the receptionist said through the paper thin walls, and in the morning we unvoluntarily woke up really early by a noise sounding like someone was trying to fit an oven into a too small hole in the wall. The room itself was just sad, so so sad. The bath room had been used (or still is) as a shared one, having one door leading straight into the hallway. The shower was tucked behind the door and the bath was in general just miserable. The wallpaper, the decor, the view from the small windows - everything was depressing. If we were backpackers paying for typical backpacker rooms, we wouldn't mind that much, but they charged what any of the big hotel chains would do. Otherwise the location and service were good.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

A friend of mine stayed at the Steen's Hotel a few years ago and recommended it. And it has good reviews on Trip Advisor so I decided that it would be my best choice for Bergen.

For the most part I was happy with the Steen's Hotel. Check in was okay, although the desk staff were a bit indifferent. In truth the Steen's doesn’t have a desk staff in the sense that most hotels do. You have to ring them and someone will come from another floor. There’s no one permanently stationed at the check-in desk. That’s fine, but it would be nice not to have to “summon” someone to answer the simplest question.

The room was good. A fairly good size, especially for the small rooms I’d gotten used to in Norway. The room at the Steen's was the biggest of the four hotels I stayed in during the Norway leg of my vacation. It was clean and bright with a partial view of the park. So no complaints there.

Ah, yes. The park. I did a thorough Google Street View of the area before booking the Steen's. I thought “Wow, what a nice park and right across from the hotel.” With Google Street View you can even walk inside the park a bit. Lovely. Well, appearances can be deceiving. During the day the park is wonderful with ponds, fountains and lots of green space. At night, however, the park does a Jekyll and Hyde and is filled with drunks, drug dealers and low lifes. We visited the park the first morning after we arrived the day before. There was a full city crew cleaning up the piles of garbage, bottles and rubbish strewn everywhere from the night before. Full credit to the Bergen clean up crew, but what a horrible situation. On the evening of our last day we had dinner and then strolled into the park. We got about ten meters before some guy started to aggressively approach us saying “Drugs? You want drugs??!” That drove us back out onto the street. That night I was woken from a sound sleep at 3:30 am. with the drunks and druggies yelling and carrying on. So much for the nice park. I mentioned this on check out and the young woman at the desk said “Yes, the city is trying to do something about that.”

The only other concern I would raise is that the breakfast room is too small for the size of the hotel. The breakfast room is quite lovely with wood panelled walls and stained glass windows. But on our first morning all the tables were taken. Standing room only. Finally a table opened up and we quickly grabbed it. In the Steen's defense I noted that on two of the three mornings of my stay single women were sitting at a table for four just reading a newspaper or working on a laptop. They were finished their breakfast, but wouldn’t leave and let others use the table. Really selfish, but obviously not the Steen's fault. As for the breakfast, it was pretty basic with hard and soft boiled eggs as the only hot foods. Oh, and stick with the apple juice machine. The orange juice, when the machine gets low, can be really sludgy.

I did like the Steen's Hotel—I really did. But people should be aware that the park, which looks so nice when you’re researching your Bergen hotel choices, is absolutely terrible. Again, not the Steen's fault, of course, but it’s worth mentioning for those considering a stay.

Room Tip: Maybe talk to the staff about the park. A nice view, but you'll pay the price with the drunks a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I booked this hotel based on a recommendation from the Lonely Planet guide book. The guide booked described it as "historic" and "charming" (which it was), but left out some important details...the rooms are small and the bathrooms are even smaller. It is a 10-15 minute walk from the center of town and it's a pretty steep walk. I was traveling with my mom and the walk to/from our hotel was an issue. It is located next to a park, which judging from the picture, was beautiful at one time. When we stayed there, the park was not so picturesque. There was trash everywhere and sketchy people hanging out there at all hours. Yes, people have a right to hang out in a public park, but it is really loud when you are trying to sleep (and you have to keep the patio door open because it's your only window). The city officials really need to do something to clean up this park and in our 4 days there, I did not see one police officer.
We told a staff member about the noise from the park at night and she responded with a shrug and something to the sort of, "it's not a problem."
I can't give the Steen's Hotel a completely negative review because there were some very nice things about it. When we first arrived and realized there was no elevator, one staff member carried my mom's suitcase up the flights of stairs. The breakfast was great and the breakfast room was beautiful. They also had tea and coffee available all day, which is a nice perk in a very expensive country like Norway.
I wish I could give this hotel a better review, but I really don't feel like it was a good value for the cost.

Room Tip: If your room faces the park and you want to have your door open at night, it is VERY loud and hard t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We are seasoned European travellers , read tripadvisor reviews but rarely inspired to write one ourselves. After returning from our Scandinavian trip , rereading reviews I see that review below titled "nice old hotel in hillside neighborhood "describes the room we stayed in at the Steens hotel; Yes, it was the smallest room ever, no closet, not even any hooks to hang clothes on, no drawers or storage space af any kind. And the two steps were nailed into the wall right next to the headboard; do I need to point out how dangerous this is, trying to climb up and down a miniature ladder with wet feet , or in the middle of the night? or rolling over and hitting your head on one of the steps? the shower curtain on a circular rod did not even clear the tiny sink when closed. My bad for not complaining immediately but we were too jet lagged and just assumed all rooms were like this. Imagine my surprise and dismay when seeing several empty rooms the next day that were roomy, comfortable, nice views, CLOSETS! I also found out that I was paying more for our room than any other guest at the hotel was paying for their room!!! Spoke to the kid at the front desk who called the owner and gave me a lower rate, however still way too much to be charged for this room, and more importantly the steps to the bathroom present a real risk of accident to anyone. The common rooms are lovely and the breakfast was excellent, Bergen is a great city, but if you stay at the Steens hotel, caveat emptor and take a good look at the room before hauling your stuff up two flights of stairs

Room Tip: check the room before accepting it or taking your luggage up flights of stairs. Make sure you have a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Steen's Hotel? Share your experiences!