“Oasis in central Bergen” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Almenningen Guesthouse and Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bergen
Almenningen Guesthouse and Apartments
Holbergsalmenningen 9a, Bergen 5005, Norway   |
Ranked #4 of 17 Bergen B&B and Inns
London
“Oasis in central Bergen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed in the second floor apartment and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Vibeke and Anders were very welcoming and made us feel at home straightaway.

The second floor apartment is spacious with three very large bedrooms and king-size beds. The blackout blinds on the skylights were essential in July and there was extra bedding for evenings when it got a little cooler. We used the kitchen a lot during our stay (eating out in Norway is expensive!) and found it very well stocked with all the pots, pans, dishes and cutlery we needed - even oil, some spices and other basics. There is a supermarket just around the corner from the house where you can pick up your own supplies.

The apartment is centrally located - less than a ten-minute from the fish market and about a 15-minute walk from the main train station.

We highly recommend the apartment, especially if you have a group of people or are looking to save some money by cooking your own meals.

The only things I would suggest you be aware of are:

1) The house is located on quite a steep hill and the second floor apartment is up two flights of stairs that wind around in a bit of a spiral. It's not ideal for anyone with mobility issues.

2) The bathroom and separate shower room have very sloped ceilings and everyone in our group ended up bumping their heads at least once! It's not a tall-person friendly apartment, however, if you're willing to chance it, it's worth the bumps!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Atascadero, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family recently stayed at Almenningen Guesthouse and Apartments for 3 nights, in May 2013. There were 8 of us, and we rented both apartments during our stay.

We arrived fairly late (2100) VIA taxi from the airport, and were greeted by Vibeke. Vibeke took great interest in us and made sure we were satisfied with our flats before turning over the keys. It's obvious she cares about her clients and the customer service really was top notch.

My wife and I stayed on the top floor, so that's the one that I'll focus on the most.

Accessibility: The apartments are about a 13 minute taxi ride from the airport. While one could drive there, I wouldn't recommend it as Bergen does seem to be very automobile friendly.

Bergen is a walking town. You can get just about anywhere in the city with in 15 minutes, and most of the major sights are only a 10 minute walk from Almenningen. The apartment is surrounded by several coffee houses, cafes and there are a few bars/coffee houses nearby. We had no problem finding a place to eat or drink.

Apartment: My wife, her parents and I stayed on the top floor. We found the beds and rooms to be very adequate. The bathroom is nice, though the roof of the bathroom is low...this might be an issue for tall people...but wasn't for us (we're about 5'8 or less).

The shower on the top floor is separate from the bathroom, it's actually located in a small room off of the kitchen. While we didn't find this too awkward, those that are staying with people they don't feel too comfortable might find it uncomfortable or inconvenient.

The kitchen is awesome and would be perfect for those staying extended amounts of time. While we didn't use it to cook anything, it might be a savior for those that want to avoid the expense of eating out. There are also 2 very close grocery stores that one could pick up some supplies to make a nice meal.

Lower story apartment: While I didn't stay in this, my parents did, I found it to be the nicer of the two. It has lots of space and a great little kitchen and dining room. The bathroom and shower are also a bit more private.

Overall Value: I found Almenningen to be a great value. As I said, Vibeke and her family were great hosts. The cleanliness of the apartment was amazing and the beds were very comfortable. While breakfast wasn't included, we still found plenty nearby to eat and at a good price.

Almenningen might not be downtown, but it's where the locals live...which was important to me. I would stay here again, without hesitation.

Room Tip: The lower apartment is more fit for people that want a bit more privacy from each other.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My partner and I stayed in Vibeke and Anders first floor apartment when we visited Bergen in May.
We were charmed by the beautiful apartment with its lovely touches. Very light and airy with a fabulous view from the dining area. The antique furniture really added to the character of the place without feeling oppressive or stuffy. Much nicer than staying in a hotel. Our hosts were very happy to give advice and information about where to visit on our stay. Would definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had an absolutely wonderful stay, living on the 2nd floor of Holbergsalmenningen 9a, and highly recommend this beautifully decorated, clean, comfortable and well equipped, spacious apartment, to any large or small family visting Bergen. We were a family of 7 (4 adults and 3 children). The apartment is located at the end of a pedestrian market street that leads straight into the center of downtown Bergen. Everything is within short walking distance, and a grocery store is only a 1 minute walk away. The owners are a lovely young family that speaks English fluently, and were very welcoming and accommodating to our needs. We will most definitely stay here again for our next visit to Bergen!

Berland/Centenera Family

Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I am a Norwegian living in England. I returned to my home town with my family, including grandchildren. We were delighted to find the Almenningen Guesthouse. It proved to be just perfect. Our first floor apartment was spacious and well furnished in traditional style. Everything we needed was provided, including toys for the children.
The position is ideal for exploring Bergen and its attractions. As someone who knows Bergen I have to say it would be hard to find a better place to stay. And with the welcome we received from Vibeke and Anders I certainly won't be looking for an alternative when we come back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My family (4 people) stayed in the top floor of the Almenningen Guesthouse and had a fabulous stay! Adorable apartment, very clean, and had everything we needed to feel comfortable, including very welcoming hosts and a cute little cat :-)

The price was very affordable, especially considering how expensive we found Norway to be, and the location was very convenient.

My only wish is that we had more time because it would have been a wonderful place to relax and call "home base" for longer than a night.

I highly recommend this guest house. Enjoy!

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I would recommend this guesthouse to anyone visiting Bergen. Vibeke and her partner are very welcoming and provide a lovely, spacious and well furnsihed old wooden house with a lot of character. Bedrooms, dining and kitchen were very spacious and comfortable. Kitchen had all the amenities required and the location was perfect. It is walking distance from Fish Market and town centre and is located near supermarket, where groceries can be bought. The house is very clean and warm. Plenty of parking available outside, but remember to buy a permit from the local transport office, which costs 100 Krones per day.

Room Tip: WIFI access is available and included. Norway being very expensive, this apartment has kitchen with...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Almenningen Guesthouse and Apartments? Share your experiences!