“Great place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marken Gjestehus

You added Marken Gjestehus to your Saves list
Marken Gjestehus
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Kong Oscarsgt. 45, Inngang B | Entrance : Tverrgaten, Bergen 5017, Norway   |
Ranked #4 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Bergen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Udon Thani, Thailand
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I think it's a good decision to stay here even though I had many problems in my stay. Firstly, I could not entrance the main door, the hostel door or my room door with my credit card (I came lately so they told me to use my card as a key card). I could not use my locker key too. The other girl in my room had the same key. This problem happened to another person too. I think the first problem was my fault. Maybe my credit card didn't work with their machine (I found lot of problems with Thai credit card). Luckily, some people opened the door so I could came in. When I check out, a staff asked me about using my own credit card as a key card. He said sorry for my inconvenience. It made me feel good.

The room was clean. The WC in my dorm was large. Love it. Location is the best. It's not far from train station and bus station. The kitchen room was great. I love atmosphere at this hostel. I'll be back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Great location, within walking distance to train station, supermarket, restaurants, bars and the fish market.

Staff was very approachable and friendly. Clean and good toilets and shower rooms. Huge locker space and need not use your own lock too.

The entrance was a little hard to find though, it is the elevator on the left the moment you enter the building (do not go up the stairs!). I walked up and down the stairs 2 times before I saw the elevator, and several times, I saw new travelers in the lobby, looking lost with their luggage.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Excellent value for Norway and the rooms are clean - common area not as big - but good enough with a smallish kitchen
But the location is right in the middle of town - next to the train station and the main areas
Staff friendly and did I mention the price

• Stayed September 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Only stayed for one night so I didn't spend much time there, but the location was perfect! I was in a 4 person dorm with a locker for each person. It was clean, cozy, and they have free wifi. Sheets and towels cost extra, and breakfast is not included either, but there's a kitchen where you can cook your own food and lots of places to eat nearby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very clean and peaceful if you are looking to relax , The staff were friendly but not intrusive I enjoyed my stay there , the wifi connection and speed was great which was what I needed at that time . The hostel is also in a great location in-between the fish market end and the main city which makes exploring easy I would highly recommend this as a hostel experience if you are looking for a bit of quiet at the same time . The elevators are pretty cool too with an antique/steampunk look about them !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at the hostel for a night and it was so-so experience. First you will be asked to pay an extra 65Kr for bed linen and later I found out the bed was not clean. The shower room also have only 4 very short hooks which couldn't hold anything and there is not rack for towel.

The double storey bed were unstable, especially when I sleep on the top bed. It was quite scary.

Kitchen, Living room and toilet were o.k. and the reception person are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere wasn't particularity social but the hostel was in a good location , rooms were very clean. Norway is very expensive so the hostel was average, not the best deal but ok for the great central location, close to sights, bus, and train station.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Marken Gjestehus? Share your experiences!