“Spectacular view from here!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 54 Attractions in Bergen
Type: Mountains, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: The highest of the seven mountains surrounding Bergen.
“Spectacular view from here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We did both Mount Floyen an mount Ulriken on the same day.
Mount Floyen and funicular are OK, but the view from mount Ulriken is WOW...
Definitely worth the bus-trip there.

Visited August 2012

• Indonesian first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Worth the trek!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Can walk or take the cable car, but the trek is definitely worth it! Breathtaking views all the way up, fantastic restaurant at the top, this should be on your list of things to do in this beautiful city!

Visited March 2012
Stockholm
4 attraction reviews
“What a view - but only when the weather is good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I went up to Mount Ulriken via the Ulrikenbanen (cable car) (www.ulriken643.no/en/) during my stay in Bergen in July 2012. I had luck and the weather was gorgeous, so the view was amazing. (If it's cloudy, you won't see anything since the mountain will be above the clouds!)

I took the #2 (or #3) bus (27 NOK each way, pay with cash onboard) and got off at the Haukeland Sykehus stop. Walk 5 minutes up the hill (there's a sign pointing you in the right direction) and you'll reach the cable car. Pay your way up and hop on. It only takes 15-20 people per time, so I went as soon as it opened in the morning to avoid the crowds. Since the others who came up with me in the cable car started off on their hikes, I was the only one at the outlook point for a while. I took advantage of the alone time and took some fantastic panoramic shots with my camera.

This is also a great place to begin hiking. I spent about an hour wandering around, but since I had the wrong shoes with me, I headed back down shortly after.

Paid another 27 NOK and caught the #2 bus back into town.

Definitely worth it, if the weather is good!

London
4 attraction reviews
“Top view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Ulriken is a little more effort than Floyen (cable car station is 25 min walk from centre or take the number 2 or 3 bus to the hospital then 5 mins walk from there). It's twice the height and gives a spectacular view across Bergen, the archipelago and into the mountains around.

Chicago
7 attraction reviews
“Ulriken - Floyen Hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We caught the city bus from near the fish market in Bergen and took it to just below the Ulriken cable car. After a short walk to the cable car, we were off to the top of the mountain. The views from the top are spectacular. The weather at the top was different than it was down in Bergen. It was much cooler and in some places, snow was still present in small patches even though it was July.

We went to Ulriken with the intention of hiking to Floyen. We asked the TI in Bergen who told us that the hike would take about 4 hours, that it was well marked, and led us to believe it was a walk in the park. We found none of these to be the case. It was a fantastic hike with amazing views in every direction. However, I think we could have benefited from having more realistic expectations of the hike. I think it took us about 6 hours in all, although we did stop to eat lunch, take pictures, and enjoy the scenery. For the the most part, there were sign posts pointing out the right direction to take, although at the end as we neared Floyen, they were very infrequent. If we didn't have a GPS with us, I don't think I would have been as confident in knowing we were going the right way. There is a lot of uneven and wet terrain that requires scrambling over boulders and ascending or descending steep inclines. From Floyen, we walked down the trail into Bergen rather than taking the Funicular. It was an incredibly memorable day full of great scenery and a fun hike.