“Clean rooms, great location” 4 of 5 stars

You added Scandic Strand to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Strandkaien 2-4, Bergen 5013, Norway   |
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Bergen
Singapore, Singapore
“Clean rooms, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

The hotel was within walking distance of the train station, even with children and luggage. There were shops, restaurants, department stores, Bryggen, a Unesco World Heritage site, and the Floibanen Funicular all within minutes' walk from the hotel. We stayed in a junior suite, which we found spacious and comfortable even for four adults. The decor of the room on the top floor was different from that of rooms on lower floors. The refurbished room on the top floor is modern looking, but if it rains, it can get rather noisy, with the sound of raindrops hitting on the roof. The bathroom is very spacious, but a pity the shower area is really tiny. The non-refurbished rooms on lower floors have a less modern but cozier feel, and although the bathroom is smaller, the shower area, roomier. All rooms we stayed in are clean and very spacious. The reception was friendly and helpful, and the internet also works very well. The airport bus stops directly across the street from the hotel. Overall, we found it rather good value for money considering the location, space, and quality of room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for your review!

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyd your stay. We hope to see you back one day!

Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Hastings, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Although this is more than we would usually pay for a hotel, it was worth it. It really is beautiful watching the sun rise and set over the water. We were really lucky that it snowed that made it stunning. We took the funicular up and walked down in the snow. Fantastic views of the city. We went for a weekend, which gave us all the time we needed for a great break. Free tea and coffee was appreciated, and we kept popping back to warm up with a drink. Excellent breakfast with wide range of products.

Room Tip: We had 510 which was a lovely view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for your review!
We are so happy to hear thay you enjoyed your stay both at Scandic Strand and in Bergen.

We wish you a happy new year!

Karmsund
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Just a short one night stay in November.

The service was good throughout my stay. Rooms are a little bit dated, but it was clean. The bathroom was quite nice. And Internet worked fine for me as well.

The location of the hotel is very good and there is walking distance to nearly all attractions in Bergen, and also to the main shopping areas downtown.

Breakfast was quite good as well.

I had a short visit to the hotel bar in the evening and it was crowded with people, actuall I had to stand in a line for a couple of minutes before they let us go inside (this was a Friday evening).

All in all a pleasant short stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for your review!

We’re really glad you liked it here and that you enjoyed the breakfast and the location.

Hope to see you again - and in the meantime; We Wish You A Merry Christmas!

High Wycombe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed here twice in December 2013. Best central Bergen location. Flybus drops 50 metres away. Everything in Central Bergen within a ten minute walk.
Friendly happy place. Great staff bar the one snotty receptionist who checked us in on the first stay (she`s just in the wrong job!) Everyone else was friendly and really helpful. We booked a "junior suite" overlooking Bryggen. In reality this is just a premium room on the top floor - the real gem though was a small private rooftop terrace overlooking the harbour. Good bathroom. Great shower. Be aware of late night noise from the bars around the harbour area, but we slept well.
Good breakfast with plenty of choice. All in all a 9/10 place!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for your review!

We are so happy to hear that you liked it here - hope to see you back one day!

We wish you a merry christmas!

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The location of the hotel is superb! It is just next to the fish market, and within walking distance to all the major attractions.

We stayed in the harbour view superior room, and our room is newly renovated. To our knowledge, the rooms varies in sizes and there are rooms that are still not refurbished. Therefore, remember to request for newly renovated rooms when you make your bookings.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for your review!

We are happy to hear that you liked it here and that you enjoyed our central location.

Welcome back to Scandic Strand!

San Gabriel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed at the Scandic Strand on two separate occasions, once at the beginning of my Hurtigruten cruise and once at the conclusion. My first stay provided me with a nice room with a view of the Bryggen harbor area and surrounding hills of Mount Floyen and its wonderful funicular.I don't recall my exact room number on the first stay but I believe it was on the 5th floor. My second stay at the conclusion of my travel provided me with Room 713 which was at the back side of the hotel with a very disappointing view of construction and a roof top. Since I arrived at the hotel around 330PM on this second visit and need to be at the airport for a 605AM flight the next morning, a view room was not high on my priority list. I was thankful that I had such a wonderful view room at the beginning of my trip to enjoy the views of the city and port. My first room was a bit smaller than Room 713 which was arranged differently and appeared to be larger. Both rooms provided very comfortable beds and my needs were met. The staff were wonderful. All contacts I had were very friendly and they were most courteous and very willing to assist in meeting my needs. On the morning of my second stay, a small buffet breakfast was made available for me at 330AM. There was a wonderful selection of rolls, cheeses, a fruit tray, four selections of cold cereals and milk, along with coffee and tea. Two computers were available for use in the reception area and were very useful in checking in for my departing slight. The location of the Scandic Strand was ideal. I was able to walk to the Furnicular station and also stroll the many shops and shopping areas in the town. I don't know the name of the business, but I had a wonderful meal of fresh fish cakes and a smoked fillet of Salmon that I bought from a small fish store about a block away from the hotel. The only direction I can give is to say if you stand facing the harbor at the front of the Scandic and walk down the street to the left you will come to this little store almost at the end of the street on the left side. It was a very small store but provided a very enjoyable impromptu and simple dinner. I purchased a Coke Max in the hotel and ate dinner in my room looking at the beautiful sights of the harbor. The Scandic is by no means a new hotel, but I would not have traded the accommodations. I did pass by the Scandic Neptune on a bus but was not nearly as impressed with its location as compared with the Scandic Strand. If ever I return to Bergen, the Scandic Strand will be my hotel of choice. It holds very special memories for me.

Room Tip: The staff was very accommodating to try to provide the best room available upon check-in. To me, loc...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for your review!

We are thrilled to hear that you liked it here! Thank you for taking time to write such a detailed review. I will make sure the staff gets your review - it will make them so happy!

We look forward welcoming you back to Scandic Strand!

Islamabad, Pakistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I just stayed at Scandic Strand for one night but it turned out be a very comfortable stay. Room was good especially as I was expecting it to be very small which it was not. The views of the harbour from the room were great. Staff was quite helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your review!

We are so happy that you liked it here - hope to see you back one day!

Marketing Manager

Been to Scandic Strand? Share your experiences!