“Central location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 43 Hotels in Bergen
Singapore
“Central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The location of the hotel is superb! It is just next to the fish market, and within walking distance to all the major attractions.

We stayed in the harbour view superior room, and our room is newly renovated. To our knowledge, the rooms varies in sizes and there are rooms that are still not refurbished. Therefore, remember to request for newly renovated rooms when you make your bookings.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for your review!

We are happy to hear that you liked it here and that you enjoyed our central location.

Welcome back to Scandic Strand!

Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
San Gabriel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed at the Scandic Strand on two separate occasions, once at the beginning of my Hurtigruten cruise and once at the conclusion. My first stay provided me with a nice room with a view of the Bryggen harbor area and surrounding hills of Mount Floyen and its wonderful funicular.I don't recall my exact room number on the first stay but I believe it was on the 5th floor. My second stay at the conclusion of my travel provided me with Room 713 which was at the back side of the hotel with a very disappointing view of construction and a roof top. Since I arrived at the hotel around 330PM on this second visit and need to be at the airport for a 605AM flight the next morning, a view room was not high on my priority list. I was thankful that I had such a wonderful view room at the beginning of my trip to enjoy the views of the city and port. My first room was a bit smaller than Room 713 which was arranged differently and appeared to be larger. Both rooms provided very comfortable beds and my needs were met. The staff were wonderful. All contacts I had were very friendly and they were most courteous and very willing to assist in meeting my needs. On the morning of my second stay, a small buffet breakfast was made available for me at 330AM. There was a wonderful selection of rolls, cheeses, a fruit tray, four selections of cold cereals and milk, along with coffee and tea. Two computers were available for use in the reception area and were very useful in checking in for my departing slight. The location of the Scandic Strand was ideal. I was able to walk to the Furnicular station and also stroll the many shops and shopping areas in the town. I don't know the name of the business, but I had a wonderful meal of fresh fish cakes and a smoked fillet of Salmon that I bought from a small fish store about a block away from the hotel. The only direction I can give is to say if you stand facing the harbor at the front of the Scandic and walk down the street to the left you will come to this little store almost at the end of the street on the left side. It was a very small store but provided a very enjoyable impromptu and simple dinner. I purchased a Coke Max in the hotel and ate dinner in my room looking at the beautiful sights of the harbor. The Scandic is by no means a new hotel, but I would not have traded the accommodations. I did pass by the Scandic Neptune on a bus but was not nearly as impressed with its location as compared with the Scandic Strand. If ever I return to Bergen, the Scandic Strand will be my hotel of choice. It holds very special memories for me.

Room Tip: The staff was very accommodating to try to provide the best room available upon check-in. To me, loc...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for your review!

We are thrilled to hear that you liked it here! Thank you for taking time to write such a detailed review. I will make sure the staff gets your review - it will make them so happy!

We look forward welcoming you back to Scandic Strand!

Islamabad, Pakistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I just stayed at Scandic Strand for one night but it turned out be a very comfortable stay. Room was good especially as I was expecting it to be very small which it was not. The views of the harbour from the room were great. Staff was quite helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your review!

We are so happy that you liked it here - hope to see you back one day!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The Scandic Strand is a decent hotel located across the street from the fish market and the airport bus stop. It is also a short walk to the funicular to the top of Mount Floyen and to the shopping area of Bergen. The rooms are small but clean and the beds are comfortable. The bathroom is tiny but adequate. The rooms include television, free wi-fi and breakfast, but no mini fridge. The breakfast is wonderful with a variety of breads, jams, cheeses, eggs, bacon, English breakfast items, cereals, yogurts, juices and a coffee and tea. Some of the options are organic. The coffee and tea are available all day and the room is light with many windows. The rooms overlooking the fish market can be very noisy on the weekends and if you like to have the windows open. Friday and Saturday nights the bars can be heard starting around 11 pm and going until 2:30 am or later, so for light sleepers, this is not a great option.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper and/or like to have windows open, ask for a room away from the street. H...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for your review!
We are happy to hear that you like it here! Thanks for all the nice comments and good advise - we are glad you took your time to write the review and posted it!

Hope to see you back!

Scandic strand

Gosford, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed here for one night late September 2013 on our way to boarding the Hurtigruten ship. The room was an adequate size for the 2 of us and the bed was very comfortable.
We overlooked the water and the tourist information centre, and the hotel is very close to the fish market and an easy stroll to the funicular that goes up Mt Floyen.
The bathroom looks newer than the room so has probably been recently renovated.
Breakfast was included in the price and we purchased a 'lunch box' that we packed ourselves, that cost 75NOK. As Norway is an expensive place for food and drink, this was good value, we only needed one between us.
You could walk to the Hurtigruten terminal if you didn't have much luggage, but Hurtigruten also run a shuttle bus which we took advantage of.
I doubt we will ever go back to Bergen, but if we did, we would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for your review!
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Scandic Strand.

Hope you have a great fall!

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here for three nights in a "Superior extra" room during a business trip.
The room was great: large, warm and with an amazing postcard view of the harbor.

Very friendly and helpful staff, great breakfast buffé and nice snacks in "mini bar" at reception.

The only down side is the very slow internet connection which made it difficult for me to keep up with my work while at the hotel. I was surprised that a top hotel which, most likely have many business guests, doesn't have a better network.

Room Tip: I would recommend those who can afford it to book a "Superior extra" room, which is a larg...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for your review!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyd your stay in one of our superior extra rooms! We are aware that some places in the building the internet connection is sometimes a bit slow. This is due to the building construction and our IT-manager is working on it.

Thank you for all your nice comments on the view, our staff and the breakfast buffet!

Hope to see you back one day!

Detroit
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Agree with all of the reviews-great location but hotel can stand some updating. Water side rooms can be noisy at night since you are above market. Back side of hotel is quieter but you lose the view. Breakfast served with room were quite good.

Room Tip: Water side can be noisy at night--back side is quieter.
Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
biriv, Manager at Scandic Strand, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for your review!

Good to hear that you liked our great location! We hope to start working on our few remaining rooms this winter, so there is a plan:)

Hope you have a great fall - welcome back to Bergen and Scandic Strand!

Marketing Manager

Been to Scandic Strand? Share your experiences!