“Nice place; shame about the bad set meal and overnight noise” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel Norge

You added Radisson Blu Hotel Norge to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel Norge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nedre Ole Bulls Plass 4 | Postboks 662, Bergen 5087, Norway (Sentrum)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #28 of 42 Hotels in Bergen
Suffolk
“Nice place; shame about the bad set meal and overnight noise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

This hotel has a great location, good rooms and a nice spa. It is also very noisy - adjacent to a running large fountain at the front and dubious night clubs / strip joint at the side; don't expect a great sleep.

We travelled as part of a group with Robinson Travel, via Baltic Travel Company in the UK. The set meal we were served was truly awful. A miserable piece of beef with hard potatoes. Most of us left most of it and complained to the the tour operator. Shocking from a four star hotel.

• Stayed June 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kristiansand, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Nice hotel very central and comfortable location. After staying in numerous hotels in Norway - this is the best service experience in Norway. Good staff and willingness to help. Rooms are very clean, BUT - the only shortcoming is that the rooms are old and badly need an upgrade and update (such as - old carpets and wood panels on the walls, ancient water systems and air conditioning). Overall, a pleasant experience could be great with a little rennovation.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Cheshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

Having been to Norway before, and having read the reviews, decor at the Norge is what I expected, late 90's so things are getting more up to date than when we visited in the ()'s and it was all 70's chic.

Arriving at a hotel without cases is always odd, ours were still in Amsterdam, but the the front desk staff were helpful with advice and reassurance, most helpful as this was New Year and shopping time was severely limited - albeit unnecessary as the cases arrived overnight so the decision to buy essentials only was wise.

The hotel is ideally located and a balcony room overlooking the park is a must, I guess it could be noisey at the other end of the hotel. It is walking distance to the Bryggen (disappointingly mostly closed), the museums (also not open at New Year), the shopping, fishmarket and the Florienbahn.

It is a city centre hotel and lacks that homely touch but we have stayed in far more impersonal places and the general ambience was friendly and helpful.

Be ready to part with serious money if you want the short taxi ride to the Hurtigruten, £15 for what would be a ten minute walk (without cases or snow).

Breakfast has a good choice but as we seemed to be only two of maybe 10 guests, the service was prompt and polite.

All things considered, a good choice.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Johor Baru, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

We made a mistake not booking a hotel for our stay in Bergen earlier.

SAS Radisson was also a bit tricky to get to if you drive as Bergen city is made up of one way streets and it's very easy to miss the turns on the small streets and you end up going round and round the city.

After we finally managed to get to the hotel, he couldn't park his Land Rover as the ski rack was too tall to get through the carpark entrance and he had to drive and park at an open space lot some distance away from the hotel.

The room itself was a good enough size for 2 persons with not a lot of luggage. We'd asked for a queen size bed but ended up with 2 single beds which were put together. The decor was modern and our headboard had some interesting multi-colored light streaks which you can turn off with a switch on the side.

The bathroom was large, clean and the floor was nicely heated (even in the middle of summer). I rather liked walking on the warm tiles as opposed to those which get too cold from the air-conditioning of the main bedroom.

The bath amenities were from a spa chain in France (I can't remember the name) and had a nice fragrance. The shower had glass partitions but the floor was level as with the rest of the bathroom, so you can easily get the whole bathroom floor wet if you're not careful. Perhaps the management though the heated floors would take care of the problem.

There's not a lot of cupboard space, so it's best to bring lots of unwrinkled clothing which doesn't require hanging space.

We didn't eat at the hotel but there are plenty of places to grab snacks, water and food within a very short walking distance from the hotel.

It's a hotel highly recommended for shoppers as it's smacked in the square with loads of boutiques/shops surrounding it.
We were there in the middle of June but didn't experience any loud noises at night even though there were many people milling around.

I'll stay there again if I had no choice but would rather try out the less expensive Scandic Hotels.
Again, do book your accomodation early if you're planning to visit Bergen or you might end up paying a lot to have a decent night's rest.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Sunnhordland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my sister at the beginning of October. I had booked a Superior Room at the Rica which was nothing short of shambolic (but that's another review). Fortunately I am familiar with Bergen, so I set off on foot and found the Raddisson Norge, a short, cold, wet walk away. I asked to see the room before booking (which is what I should have done at the Rica as I was charged 1250 kroner even though I didn't stay) and I was very relieved when I saw the room as it was pretty decent, though not great, and I was tired and cold. The room too was cold and so I turned up the circa1980 thermostat.

This was a Thursday and buy 9PM there was a lot of noise from the street and, for some reason, a huge spotlight being waved around. (Performance Art?) So that night I got no sleep.
The following morning, we asked to be moved. This is a hassle - packing, unpacking, making sure you haven't left anything behind, but the noise was a joke so we had no choice.

The second room was cold so we tried turning up the thermostat. After half an hour or so, we realised the room was getting any woarmer so my sister rang down to reception. 'Oh the thermostat's broken in that room.'

So we move again, to a room which is as far from the elevators as possible, which is not a bonus.

The third room was cold. So turn up the thermostat. After half an hour or so we realised the room wasn't getting any warmer. Sound familiar?
We called up for assistance and two security guards were sent up. ?
This was the explanation: 'It's not going to get any warmer than this - we don't heat the rooms during the summer.'
Now, I live in Norway, and no-one I know considers 'oktober' to be summer.

They offered us the use of a fan heater and, as we were so exhausted by that point, we agreed to stay put.
The tiny little fan heat sounded not unlike an industrial generator (slight exaggeration), but the point is we could either be kept awake by the sound of the heater, or be kept awake by the cold.

The next day we realised that if we kept the bathroom door open (the bathroom had underfloor heating which we had set to maximum) it would generate enough heat to make the room comfortable. So, on the third and final night I actually got some sleep.

Both my sister and I have a husband and children. These weekend breaks are supposed to be a haven of rest and relaxation. Instead, we got stress and expenses.

The decor was bizarre and the general standard of neatness was below par (scuff marks on the walls, half-painted skirting boards, holes in the curtains, spilt beer in the elevator) but it was clean and the location was superb.

• Stayed October 2009
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

Very conveniently located in the city centre, you are within easy walking distance of the main city attractions. Also within easy walking distance of the railway station.

The 9th floor room we were given was superb with a stunning view over the Lille Lungegårdsvann (an elegant park with formal lake and fountain). The room was huge, very well appointed with high quality furnishings, plenty of intelligently designed cupboard and shelf space, and large very comfortable beds. The bathroom was also vast and luxuriously fitted, and even had underfloor heating in all the tiled areas. Everything was in good order and spotlessly clean.

Breakfast was the usual Norwegian buffet, plenty of choice, and unusually they even suggested making your own packed lunch from the array of good breads, fish, cold meats, cheeses etc. You do have to pay 75 NOK for their bag to put your lunch in, as you can't simply walk out with an armful of food, but one bag accommodated enough picnic lunch to sustain two of us on the train to Oslo, and the cost of equivalent sandwiches in the station shop was much higher.

Our only regret was that we were not staying longer in Bergen, as we loved both hotel and the city.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, Brasil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

I'm glad I haven't seen all these awful reviews before going to Bergen! I barely recognize the hotel they are describing. This hotel has a great location, halfway between the train station and the local tourist atractions (Bryggen etc.), so it's great for fjords cruises and also for local sightseeing.
And, if it isn't the best decorated hotel I've ever stayed in, it's not this nightmare some of the reviews are describing. The furniture is a bit dark and there's carpet (which I think isn't that strange in a cold climate), but one of my friends who stayed with me has a lot of alergies, and she didn't have a problem there so it isn't that bad. I also had zero problem with the cleanliness of the place and I'm picky about that so I think that the only explanation for some of the reviews is that a few people were really unlucky!
The bathroom was pretty good (nice, clean, and it had a great size) and I think both the towels and the sheets were perfectly fine. The breakfast was good, with a good variety of products. My only complains are that they didn't have white bread (only wholegrain) and they didn't have any kind of sweets, which is greast for your health and all, but not very inspiring.
And, of course, the price isn't all that great, but that's not a problem of this hotel: the city is very expensive, but it's worth it! One of the loveliest places I've ever seen.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel Norge? Share your experiences!