“Very good, but some issues with the staff” 4 of 5 stars

Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Brattorkaia 1, Trondheim 7010, Norway   |
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Trondheim
Norway
“Very good, but some issues with the staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The hotel is located near the Hurtigruten dock, and one of the airport bus services (there are several) stops just outside. The railway station is a 1 km walk away, there is a new bridge across the train tracks. The passenger boats also dock nearby, and the swimming facilities at Pirbadet are also within a short walk. However, walking to the town centre forces you to walk along some quite unpleasant streets. The hotel rents bikes (make sure you get one in good order) that makes this distance easier.

The hotel exterior is very modern special. It was not to my liking, but I guess tastes differ...

Inside, it is quite standard, the lobby is very spacoius and airy. I got an upgraded room (820), quite spacious with a very nice bed. Very good bathroom as well. Some migft not like the patterned windows that obscure the views somewhat.

The restaurant is quite good, but somewhat expensive. I guess you could get better offers downtown.

Staff was courteous and nice most of the time, but I have three criticisms towards the staff:

- I was attending a conference, at one occasion I needed to get a mobile charger I had left in the conference room. This was maybe one hour after the session had ended. The staff had just finished cleaning after us, I greeted them and went for the charger. One member of staff waslked briskly towards me asked quite sharply what I thought I was doing, this was a private room. Even if I explained he continued to be quite rude and looked like he wanted to throw me out. This was strange, as I wore my conference badge clearly visible. I do understand that the staff need to keep unwanted people out, but they should ask "how can I help you" or similar instead of assuming any person showing up after hours is a burglar or something.

- The reception was ALWAYS understaffed at peak hours - I never saw more than two people actually serving the guests, even if there were 4 or 5 staff counters available. The lines were very long at times.

- My last complaint is minor - the hotel has the standard "leave your towels on the floor if you want them changed" policy. I stayed four days and did not need new towels every day, thus I hung them on the towel rack. Nevertheless, ALL towels were changed EVERY day. It did not hurt me, but it sure defeats the hotels image as environmentally friendly.

Another quirk: You need to hold your key card against the control panel to activate the elevator (which is fine), but there is no indication (beep/flash) that the card has actually been read. Many guest struggled with this.

All in all, a nice hotel, especially if you don't need easy access to Trondheim's historical areas. I'd be happy to come back if the price is right.

Room Tip: High up is best. Views towards the sea are probably best, as the view towards the city is dominated...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Stig H, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Hi blazius,

Thank you for your stay and thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. It is important for us- and we will go true our routines. Welcome back next time you are in Trondheim!

Best regards, Stig Hillestad, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We only get one chance to make a first impression, so let me give you mine, upon arrival we need to park the car, to park the car you need to find the car park, to find the car park you need to ask reception, to get to reception you need to stand in line the queue is 16 people, two people on reception, and this is a classy hotel, certainly from its tariff and charges one expects a level of service.
Eventually you discover the hotel car park, park the car and return to reception, another queue to book in and register, make your way to he lift and head for your floor oops sorry the reception forgot to mention that you need to use your key to operate the lift, silly me I should have taken up the mind reading course.
Lets have a meal, sorry sir dining room is fully booked, perhaps we could see the menu and have the food brought to another dining room, well yes we could do that but sir and the party of 8 might have to wait 30mins, the attitude told us everything we needed to know.
Can i comment on he restaurant, No.
Will my party try the restaurant........ Well what do you think ..... Based on this experience what would you do......

Hi Seayaitch,

Thank you for visiting Clarion Hotel Trondheim and thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am sorry that you did not get the best service. We will go through our procedures! Hope to see you again!

Mo i Rana, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a 2 days conference. The Hotel is designed for this, and totally met my expectations. The conference rooms are OK (they could perhaps have used material in brighter colors). The mingling area is spacious and the food/beverages on offer is at the breaks are of good quality. The lunch is tasty and the serving arrangements are efficiently organized. No ques. That goes for check in/checkout as well. The sky bar is well worth a visit. It has a great view over the city and the fjord. The rooms are of high quality, but a little small, and there are certainly enough pillows.
The hotel parking is conveniently located in a parking facility below the ground floor of the hotel with direct entrance to the lobby. The parking price is 180NOK for 24hr. The staff was service minded and attentive. I would not hesitate to attend a new conference here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Stig H, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear TravelingT63,

Thank you for visiting us and thanks for writing this nice review! I am glad that you appreciated our facilities and service. Hope to see you again at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim soon.

Molde, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The first look at the hotel in the lobby and the conference area, the kids gasped and said: impressive! I looks like gold everywhere, and it's tall ..with cool windows. They started trying all of the design chairs in the Conference area, and would like to stay there longer. The reception was more than helpful checking us in, and gave us good information about the breakfast, sky bar and opening hours at the training center and swimming hall next door. Wonderful to be able to park right under the hotel, and possibilities to go indoor all the way to your room. The room had delicate design and wonderful beds. Fantastic with Clarions big pillows and big flat tv screens. The mirror in the living room made me smile and feel good, it had a text that said: YOU LOOK GREAT :)
The area close to the lobby has both a bar, breakfast area, outside nice big place with decorations and cool furniture. The breakfast must be the best in Trondheim !?! I have never seen so many different toppings for bread, nuts, fruits, energy shots and smiling employees ever. I was even offered a wonderful omelette with all the ingredience I wanted.
As a family this is a perfect place because it is close to the city, and is next door to a wonderful swimming and paying area: Pirbadet
The bar downstairs is cosy when you can sit close to the warm fireplace and have a hamburger, but the Sky Bar and the restaurant in the 9th floor is AMACING! On warm summer nights you can lie down on big pillows or funny sunbed cabins, or sit and watch the sunset and all the boats. Inside the restaurant you can also see the wonderful view, while you enjoy the tasteful food. The children can have 50% of the normal meny or they can order hamburgers like in the bar. But my kids loved the fish, and I recommend that we sometimes let our children eat something else than sossage and chips. A very good meal in a very good place. We recommend all families with children to choose this hotel when staying in Trondheim.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Stig H, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hi Martin K,

Thank you for your stay at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim and thank you for this amazing review. I am glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the hotel, skybar, service and breakfast! Hope to see you again!

Trondheim, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We used the hotel last time the job had team meeting.
We experienced excellent service from we arrived at the hotel in the morning until we went late in the evening.
The meeting room was light and nice, very good lunch and the dinner at Astrum Grill & Raw Bar was perfect!
Excellent service through the day.

The hotel has a special architecture that makes it stand out from the crowd.

Recommend this hotel to everyone!
We will for sure return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Stig H, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Hi fotohege,

Thank you for your stay at Clarion Hotel Trondheim and thank you for taking the time to write this nice review! I am glad you enjoyed the meeting room, service, food, skybar and architecture. Welcome back!

Vejle, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Very good hotel, In A Nice location, next to the harbour and the fjord, rooms are ok in size, and bed perfect, and breakfast definitely the best I have had in Trondheim
The hotel is a little away from the town center, maybe 5 minutes walk, but then again next door to Pirbadet

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Stig H, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hi Mortennielsen,

Thank you for staying at Clarion Hotel Trondheim and for writing this nice review! I am glad you enjoyed the Breakfast, the bed and our location.
Welcome back!
paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've now stayed at the Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim 3 times. Each time my stay has been great.

Staff are incredibly helpful and polite.

Rooms are great, especially the larger ones(my first stay was in a smaller room that started to feel a little claustrophobic after 5 nights, but would have been absolutely fine for a shorter stay). Very clean and quiet too. Beds and pillows are incredibly comfortable.

Breakfast is good with a wide and varied selection. Bar / room service food is good, not too expensive (for Norway!) and although the menu is limited it is tasty. The Skybar Astrum restaurant is very nice with lovely views over Trondheim.

Location is a short walk from Trondheim city centre and train station (but bear in mind Trondheim can get extremely cold in winter). The airport bus stops right outside which is handy.

I'm looking forward to my next visit and hope the high standards remain.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Stig H, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hi mlohara,
Thank you for your stay and thank you for taking the time to write this nice review! I am glad that you are comming back again and again, and that you like the food, the location, the rooms and the skybar. I hope to see you again soon!
Best regards Stig Hillestad, GM

Been to Clarion Hotel & Congress Trondheim? Share your experiences!