“Pleasant hotel in the heart of the City” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 15% OFF Room rate
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Trondheim
UK
“Pleasant hotel in the heart of the City”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

For a Brit any hotel in Norway will seem expensive, and whilst this hotel is not luxurious it is reasonably comfortable, clean and has friendly helpful staff. Accommodation is basic and good double glazing is essential to keep the street noise of partying revellers outside down. Breakfast is a buffet and a good selection.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hello Mogul79,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on your latest stay here at Clarion Collection Bakeriet.
We are so glad that your stay was a good one.
As you say - we are not luxurious - but we strive to give our welcome guests the best service we can give, and we are so glad when things function as they should - from the breakfast, front desk and the cleaning. And even the double glazed windows!

Thank you for giving us this feedback - we always strive to improve, and have weekly follow-ups on all feedback received.

Ronny R. Reithe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We recently spent three weeks touring Scandinavia by rail and, of all the hotels we stayed in, this was easily the best. The welcome at check-in was friendly and welcoming and our room was excellent. The breakfast was varied and plentiful, and our rate included an evening meal; Norway is an expensive country in which to eat out, so this was a real bonus. There is fresh tea and coffee on tap throughout the day and, amazingly, you can help yourselves to fresh waffles during the afternoon. More amazingly still, it's possible to do your washing - free of charge - in the small laundry room on the top floor. This hotel has one major problem - you won't want to leave.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Nicktgb!

It is with great pleasure we read your review of our hotel. We always strive to do our best - and when we succeed in doing everything right - we are excactly where we shoudl be. And I am so glad that all aspects worked as they are supposed to - from breakfast, waffles and of course the evening meal. We try our best in giving personalized and excellent service - and reviews such as yours are a good "pat on the back" - in stating that we are on the right track.

That our guests can use the washer/dryer on the 6.th floor is something we hope is appreciated by many, and it is good to see that this was a good initiative from our part.

We look forward to welcoming you back to beautiful Trondheim, and of course here to Clarion Collection Bakeriet!

Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I must admit, this is one of my favourite hotels in Trondheim. I think it has something to do with the atmosphere in the hotel and the fact that I used to go there to buy buns while I was a student and the place still was a bakery.

It's also a very quiet hotel, despite the fact that it's located almost in the towncentre and close to the railway station. There's not much traffic in the quite narrow streets surrounding the hotel and thus little traffic noise. If you get a room in 5th floor you may also have a view to the fjord and the coastal express harbor.

The rooms are quite different in sizes and shapes. This time I got a pretty much standard room, while my mother got a room with her own little hall before entering the bedroom. You can see that the rooms have not recently been renovated, but still they are in pretty good shape. My room was clean, my mother has a better eye for dust and discovered some that had to be wiped off a surface in her room :) .

The staff is very helpful. When i told that my mother is an elderly lady and prefer to have her room not so high up in the building (easier to use the stairs one floor down than 4 in case of fire alarm), the receptionist immediately searched for a room that was on a lower floor than 5th floor where we originally had rooms reserved. 2 minutes later the problem was fixed and my mother was well situated in a room on 2nd floor.

We both had quiet rooms with no disturbances from traffic,

Breakfast is good, but maybe a bit dull? Even my mother who don't travel a lot commented that: "There was more choices for breakfast at the hotel we used last year." Some ordinary muesli would have made an improvement for me. However, coffee is good, bread is very good (as should be expected in a former bakery) and there is enough cheese, sausages and jam to satisfy me. It also has to be added that even though the breakfast is quite plain, it's possible to make waffles later on in the afternoon, and the hotel even has a simple (but good) buffet for evening meal between 18 and 21 in the evening, so all in all they come out on the positive side.

I'll be back - some day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hello CillaN!

We are delighted to read that we are one of your favourite hotels in Trondheim!

It makes us both happy and proud too hear that the work we do in all departments focusing on service and delivery give results, and I promise you that we are working on improving the breakfast even more by collaborating with some of our sister-hotels as we speak. And it is good to see that both the waffles and evening meal help give our guests the best.

Being a former bakery it is without a doubt expected that we have tasty bread, so I am pleased to see that we deliver on this.

We look forward to seeing you again here at Bakeriet - and thank you for taking the time to write this review. Reviews like this help us focus our work - and it is also a great inspiration to receive positive feedback.

Clarion Collection Bakeriet
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Hotel Bakeriet is not a luxury hotel. But what you loose in luxury, you get back in atmosphere and charm. This hotel is an relaxing oases right in the middle of the city, situated in a side street, with very little traffic. There are some bars and restaurants near by, and in the night you might hear some people shouting, but not at all disturbing. It is possible to sleep with an open window, if you want to. There is car-parking in the basement, not expensive compared to other parking in Norway. The rooms could need some painting and refurbish, but they are clean. The hotel itself is an old bakery, and in the breakfast hall you can see a lot of memories from the past, including an old bakery oven. The glass roof makes it bright and nice.The breakfast itself is not special, but gives you all you need with eggs and serials and nice bread. The people working in this hotel are very nice and smiling, and the reception staff are characterized with a very high service level, and always with a smile. In the afternoon you can make your own waffles for free, and in the evening there is some food available until nine, if you get hungry. This is also for free, one out of many things that make this hotel special. If you are looking for a modern hotel in glass and steel, go somewhere else. But if you are looking for a hotel that gives you peace and relax, and make you fell like home, this is the perfect place. You should try it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up, and you can sleep with an open window.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Hello Oslo_NorwayKnut!

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor - it was a great pleasure to read your review this morning, and it is great to see that out focus on service and cleaning has paid off.

I agree that some of the rooms are in need of some paint, and assure you that this is an ongoing project here at our hotel, so hopefully we will be able to freshen our product even more.

As you say so good - if you are looking for glass and steel hotels try something else, but if you like a cosy hotel trying to give personal and relaxed service - then we are your choice.

Thank you again for giving us constructive feedback - it is feedback such as this that tells us what we do right, and what we need to focus on in order to become even better.
We look forward to seeing you again here at Clarion Collection Bakeriet in atmospheric Trondheim.

Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is not a traditional hotel in the sense with a bar and restaurant , but have more of "beeing home" atmosphere where you have to do things yourself.
Frontdesk is the heart of the operation --they have the information ---they have the bar and they have the very serviceminded attitude. Information is beeing given to you and all additional questions beeing answerd as best they can, which is very good.
Breakfast is a buffet where you have to fry your own eggs. The boiled ones are in place together with everything else you need. I have seen better breakfast buffets , but this one is more than good enough with a very nice staff cleaning tables and keeping it up. The breakfast area is nice and light with windovs as a roof.
I have two personal standards for the room I am staying in for me to like it --good bed and good shower . Both gets top score from me. Cleaning staff for the rooms doing a great job (I stayed for 6 nights in single beroom with a single and a half bed) and I came back every day to nice and tidy and clean room.
From 1500 to 1800 you could make your own waffeles in the breakfast area. There were newspapers in the morning.
The hotel is situated centrally in the center of the town. There is also food in the afternoon and evening ,but this was a service I did not use, but I believe all meals in the hotel are complimentary.
If you like luxury this may not be the place for you ,but if you like a "homy" informal atmosphere with eceptional service and a central location this may be it.
This is a hotel I will visit again.

Room Tip: I had a single room which I was satisfied with.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hello Lloyd Ragnar B,

It is with great pleasure we read your review of our hotel - the things you choose to highlight are some of the things that are important to us. And we are pleased to see that all our staff are welcoming - we hold our attitude in high regard, and always aim to please. We are as you say, not the fanciest hotel around, but we try to deliver a close and personal experience to all our guests. And as you say - all meals are included - so next time try our evening buffét as well as the waffles.

Thank you for taking the time to review us - we are always looking for ways to improve ourselves, and feedback such as yours give us a valuable "pat on the back" - stating we are on the right track! And we look forward to seeing you again here in the fantastic city of Trondheim.

St. Marys, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We wanted a quiet hotel with parking and this seemed to be a good choice. Our room overlooked an alley, but it was quiet and fairly dark at night. It was a bit confusing to get to the parking garage, but plenty of spaces were available. This was the 2nd Clarion stay for our 1 week trip to Norway and found that they are a good value (all is relative for an American traveling to Norway getting a huge case of sticker shock). I loved the 24hr coffee service and afternoon waffles were a real treat. Dinner was a little skimpy compared to our experience in Oslo, but still plenty for us to eat. Easy walk from hotel to the shops and restaurants in the port area and old town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Hello PeggyS55,

I was delighted to read your review of your recent stay at the Bakeriet hotel. It is nice to see that you enjoyed both the coffee and the waffles! When it comes to the evening meals I promise you that we are working on some exciting new concepts that will improve the evening meal even more to fit the standards of Clarion Collection and I hope to impress you when you come back to our sentrally located hotel.
I perfectly understand the parking can be somewhat difficult to find, and we have specially made maps that show the route around the hotel easily described. I will check tomorrow if we have the maps available at the front desk.

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on tripadvisor - it is essential for our work in always improving our product.

Tromso, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

2 days and one night at Clarion Collection Bakeriet hotel in Trondheim was a great experience. Nice and clean room for 3 persons (number 330), normal Norwegian breakfast, waffel and some fruit between 15:00-17:00 (?) was great as we were really tired and hungry by arrival. Even evening meal was included in price. Safe garage in basement to a reasonible price ( NOK 200) and extra charge for breakfast for my visiting daughter was ok (NOK 115,-). All staff were helpful and nice. A bit draft in breakfast room from air condition (I brought with me my scarf). I'll be back!

Room Tip: 330 was a good experience
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ronny R, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Gulla J.

We were delighted to read the excellent review you have given us here at Bakeriet. I am the new General Manager for Bakeriet (starting this month), and I must thank you for taking the time to write your review. It tells me that the employees here do their best to deliver the promises of Clarion Collection and Bakeriet, and I feel proud to be a part of this hotel.

Have a fantastic summer, and we hope to see you again here at Bakeriet soon,

Ronny R. Reithe

Been to Clarion Collection Hotel Bakeriet? Share your experiences!