“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 28 hotels in Trondheim
Norway
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night in February, and we really enjoyed it. The rooms are modern and spacious, and it`s only a five minute walk to the centre of town and to Solsiden, the fancy shopping and pub/bar area of Trondheim. There was a wide selection of food for breakfast, and the food was delicious. I am staying here next time I go to Trondheim. There`s a parking house adjacent to the hotel as well.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Johan Christian S, Front Office Manager at Rica Bakklandet Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Hi Vadur.
Thank you for your great review. We are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to welcome you back.

237 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in January for business. The best way to get here is by coach from the airport. The coach stops directly opposite the hotel.
Checking in was a breeze. It seems that its a norm that Receptionist in Norway do not tell you things about the hotel, besides the time of the breakfast.
My room was on the fifth floor and facing the main road. It was ok as I couldn't hear the noise from the road. The room is a fair size with a work table and chair. Two single beds joined together to make a double bed and again I think this is the norm in Norway including no toiletries in the room.
My room reminds me a lot of Holiday Inn Express hotels as there is no wardrobe and only a nice little section to hang ones clothes. However at least there is a tea and coffee making facility in my room.
TV channels is ok but could have more English programmes. Bathroom is a good size with underfloor heating.
Now the downside is the gym in this hotel. It's the smallest gym I've ever seen. There is 2 treadmills and 2 cycling machines. There is no free weights, just a full body workout equipment. This is also where one does their ironing.
Breakfast was ample with a wide variety. The hotel is also located in a fairly nice location with 5 minutes walk to a nice big shopping centre. There is a convenient store around the corner where one can get bottle water, etc.
Everyone is friendly in the hotel and they even have a room to store your suitcase after checking out.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hi R L.
Thank you for your reveiw and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.
We do appreciate feedback from your guest, good or bad. We will take a note of your comments and use them to improve our product.
Hope to be able to welcome you back the next time you visit Trondheim.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Rica Bakklandet hotel tout itself as a quiet business hotel, which is why I have stayed here, whenever I am in Trondheim. Last night I was woken by a party (and loud arguing), which woke me up around 03:30. Although the noise quited down, I was unable to sleep well for the rest of that night and I therefore ended up this morning at the front desk to make a complaint. The receptionist had a hard time seeing why this was her problem and seemed confused by the concept that the hotel had a problem at all. Also, since she had just started her work and was not part of the night shift, this was not really her problem. I told her, perhaps also reflecting her attitude, that since I had not been provided with the service I had paid for, I at least expected a discount for this night. I have staysuspect that this hotel has grown a rather complacent stance towards its guests.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hi PoulHAndersen.
Thank you for your review and comments about your stay. We are really sorry that you where awakened during the night and weren’t able to go back to sleep. The way you were handled the next morning by one of our receptionist is not acceptable. This is not the way we handle our guests and the matter has been taken up the receptionist in question. We value all feedback from our guest and use them in our work to improve our product and service. We hope you appreciated how we settled the case while you where here and enjoyed the rest of your stay. Everyone at Rica Bakklandet Hotel hope to be able to welcome you back soon.
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Check in took 30 seconds. They have a machine that gives you FRESH orange juice for breakfast. Staff is friendly. Amazing breakfast. Nice beds. Hotel has a good location. Hotel has a nice overall design. Free wifi.

Nice :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hi Thomas6858.
Thank you for your nice review. We are really glad that your like our staff, breakfast and beds.
Hope to welcome you the next time you visit Trondheim.
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

There is no doubt that this recently-build four-star hotel is stylish and comfortable. The decor is modern and tasteful (although the 'art' in some of the rooms is at best described as 'puzzling and eccentric'!). Rather than being bowled over by this hotel though, I ended up somewhat disappointed. The standard rooms are stylish but compact and some have views onto a external wall or internal atrium which can be rather claustrophobic. After asking whether it was possible to switch to a 'room with a view', I was given a room with view to the front of the hotel. What niggled? No toiletries in the bathroom apart from a bar of soap and wall dispensers for gel and shampoo. No iron in the room, the only ironing facilities being a single iron in a corner of the health suite on the sixth floor. No sockets near the bed for charging phones, etc. All of these facilities were available when I stayed in a much older hotel of similar standard in Oslo. On the plus side: a comfortable bed, well sound-insulated room, a really magnificent breakfast buffet (caviar for breakfast!) which would take several days to fully explore.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Johan Christian S, Front Office Manager at Rica Bakklandet Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Hi ValH.
Thank you for your feedback, we appriciate every comments good or bad.
We are sorry to hear that you where somewhat disappointed after your stay with us.
The amount of toiletries in the rooms is a part of Rica Hotels green profile, but we do offer a good selection of toiletries from the reception if our guests is missing something from the room.
Some of our rooms have iron, please contact us and we will make sure you will get a room with a view and iron next time you stay with us.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I decided that Trondheim would be as good a place as any to surprise my girlfriend by asking her to marry me. The Rica Bakklandet came very well reviewed so I was confident with my choice. The hotel did not let me down. It is located very conveniently for all the shops, the smart marina-side restaurants and other attractions. The hotel is smart, clean and the staff were very attentive. I booked a Deluxe room which was very well appointed with a dual aspect on the corner of the building overlooking the river. The room was quiet, there was a table and chairs, comfortable sofa and flat screen TV. The minibar was well stocked and reasonably priced. There was a good bathroom with a good shower. The bed was comfortable and we had a great night's sleep. Breakfast was served downstairs in atrium and there was plenty of choice from cooked to the more continental offerings. We enjoyed a few drinks in the bar and found the staff very good and very friendly. The Concierge was helpful in finding us a table across the river at Ai Suma, which was handy as it was where I proposed. I'll be certain to come back and will be happy to stay at the Rica Bakklandet again.

The only possible drawback was the lack of a Sauna which would have been great. Can you squeeze one in?

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the River Nidelven.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi RichClarkImages
You didn't say what your girlfriends answer was. We all hope it was at big YES!.
Thank you for your kind review and we wish you welcome back to Trondheim.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was great. Good location, not far from the centre of Trondheim. The rooms were lovely, modern and clean. However, it was slightly deceptive in that the website said that the superior room came with a nespresso machine. What this really meant was the you could get a nespresso coffee from the machine downstairs each morning.
Overall, this was a lovely place to stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Rica Bakklandet Hotel? Share your experiences!