“New and fresh, but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Scandic Bakklandet

You added Scandic Bakklandet to your Saves list
Scandic Bakklandet
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Nedre Bakklandet 60, Trondheim 7400, Norway (Formerly Rica Bakklandet Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Trondheim
Oslo, Norway
“New and fresh, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Nice hotel, centraly located in Trondheim. Nice reception and restaurant/bar area. But be aware, many rooms faces the atrium. My room was very hoot, turning down the temperature didn't help. And this was in October.

God service and nice people in the reception. Standard rooms not big, but as the hotel is brand new everything looks nice.

Room Tip: Avoid atrium rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Ålesund, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel on a few occasions on business trips. It's a new hotel, centrally located with a great view of the sea and "Solsiden", a good recreational spot in Trondheim with a lot of nice bars and restaurants. The airport express bus stops right outside, and the city centre is just a quick stroll away.

The staff is helpful, smiling and at your service. The rooms are spotless, the wifi-connection is good, and the workspace is adequate. The breakfast is one of the best I've been served, bacon and eggs made to order on a Tuesday morning is awesome.

One of the bartenders is quite a beer and whiskey-man, so stay away from him if you have an early meeting. If not, sit down and let him guide you... The restaurant menu looks tasty and exciting. Tried one of the small dishes, and it was great.

I can recommend this hotel both for business and pleasure. Have a go!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

This new and comparatively small hotel has high ambitions: to equal its famous sister Rica Nidelven and compete with the old and famous Radisson Royal Garden, all three built on the Nid riverfronts with architecture designed to maximise visibility of the flowing river. Rica Bakklandet does not have the same impression of space and roominess that the Rica Nidelven or the Radisson Royal Garden have. However, Rica Bakklandet has an internal code of conduct with the customers = excellent personalised service which is only possible for such a small hotel to provide.

Rica Bakklandet managed to reach and maintain this code for the 7 nights i stayed with them, without wavering. Two staff members at the Reception: Camilla and Juliet; two staff members at the restaurant, Johan and Ingrid, can easily be cited as models for excellent personalised service. They paid attention in a quiet and efficient manner that was non-obstrusive with the appropriate dose of friendliness and ease. I experienced time and again that it mattered to them that I was taken care of.

Rooms: just right if you are coming here only to sleep. If you plan on spending more time in the room, make sure you have a room with a handful of sky, preferably on the top floor. Room cleaning needs to be spruced up but it is nothing to complain about. Access codes for a wireless internet connection in the room must be picked up from the reception everyday. This is inconvenient for long stay guests like me and should be dispensed with in favour of a simpler solution. Tea and coffee trays in the room is a convenience that should be maintained.

Breakfast overlooking the flowing river is common to both the other hotels mentioned above. The variety is as good as it can get and vegetarians like me can be easily satisfied. Different kinds of seating and extensions into the Bar/Coffee shop area, both make one spoilt for choice of table.

Anything to be improved on apart from the above? Yes. Some greens around the entrance area (outside) would breathe life into the currently mortar and stone impression.

Room Tip: Top floor. Or Specify sky view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Gothenburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed here in August, very shortly after they opened. And I'm going to start with the really good things;
The location is perfect! Walking-distance to everything! And stunning views over the river!
The restaurant was really good! We had both lunch and dinner there twice, and was very satisfied with both the food and the service!
Decor of the room was beautiful! The only downside to the room was that it only had two available outlets... Two adults with laptops, cameras and so on needs at least two more. The one by the desk was situated so badly down by the floor, that you had to perform miracles to plug in the tea pot...

Now to the very bad part:
I had booked our stay on the Rica Hotels web-site. 2 nights in a Deluxe Room. According to the hotel's website "Our fabulous deluxe rooms are spacious and the best rooms on offer. They have a large double bed and a mini-lounge". My confirmation also stated that I would have a river-view. I filled in all my details and secured the reservation for late arrival with my VISA-card.
We arrive at the hotel and I go in to check in while my husband waits in the car to find out where to dispose of it.
My name is not in the system and no reservation in my name. I give him my confirmation-number, and they have that number, but with a slightly different name... I ask what is the nationality and adress of that person, but I get the answer that it doesn't show on this booking. He then tells me that perhaps someone misunderstood my name when I called and made the reservation. I booked on the INTERNET!!! I'm standing there with my confirmation e-mail in my hand!!! Then he sees that some girl on the staff has actually been logged in to my reservation and made changes, so he calls her and asks her why. Of course, she has no idea. I'm getting very angry by now and it's going to get worse...
The poor guy, and I mean that, because he tried, calls for someone more superior to solve the matter. And the most arrogant guy I've ever seen in a hotel walks in.
"Of course, we can solve this. No problem. Everything will be "Kempe Greit"! He checks us in and gives me our keys.
No apologies of any kind.
I take the elevator up to the room and I wonder if I'm going completely mad...
I'm in a very small and dark room, with a window facing into the restaurant. The bed is pushed into a corner and there is no "lounge area" and certainly no river-view. I just leave my bags on the floor and head downstairs again.
I walk up to the front desk and ask the arrogant guy why I haven't been put in a Deluxe Room? "Your room is a Deluxe Room" he says. I say "Are you kidding me?" and then I start to recite exactly what constitutes a Deluxe Room in HIS hotel, none of which the room I've been given has. He actually starts to argue with me, and I put the key on the counter and tell him to go up and have a [----] look! At this time, I'm not angry - I'm bordering on mad.
He starts looking at the computer and suddenly says "There must be a mistake, will you go up and collect your bags and I will have the new room key ready when you come down"... Needless to say, that did not sound like something I was very keen on doing, so he quickly changed his mind, gave me the new room keys and said they would move my bags.
Then comes the worst part, he says "Now we got all that sorted. Kempe greit!"
No apologies. No compensation.
The guy just tried to cheat me into paying Deluxe price for a Standard room (there's a category in between those too), almost an hour of my time to get my check-in done, and all he can say is that everything is splendid!?
I was just dumbstruck by his total lack of professionalism that I didn't get a word out...

Yes, this is a totally new hotel. But the staff was not brand-new to the trade, and the Rica booking-system is not new either.

If the room, the view or the restaurant was replicated in any other hotel in the world - I would gladly stay there and eat there.
But the front desk's behaviour has probably put me off Rica Hotels as a chain for good!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Berkshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Very new hotel, great furnishings and fittings. Comfortable bed and well appointed rooms. Good location for everything in Trondheim

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road are quieter particularly in student fresher week
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Henningsvaer, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

A new hotel with stunning views over the river! Very good breakfast and overall good experience
Will certainly return

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Scandic Bakklandet? Share your experiences!