“Perfect for a night stay” 5 of 5 stars

Yess! Hotel Kristiansand
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tordenskjoldsgt. 12, Kristiansand 4612, Norway   |
Ranked #6 of 19 hotels in Kristiansand
Tønsberg
“Perfect for a night stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I spent the night here on a businesstrip. It was totally good value!
I needed a good night sleep and a nice breakfast. The room was not large, but just enough. I got a bed and a shower. It was quiet and a realy good bed.
The breakfast was at the upper level of hotel breakfasts I have had.
I would realy recommend this hotell to all others just wanting a nights stay.

Room Tip: The small single bed rooms are quite small, but the bed is large and comfortable. Good value!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

A small room which is cramped for more than one person, but adequate with no frills. Fine for an overnight stop.

Breakfast was okay, plentiful but not as good as other stops during our trip.

The service was pleasant, friendly and efficient. And there was car parking available in the private courtyard, which is necessary because there wasn't much free parking on the streets.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was the second no-frills hotel we booked for our trip based primarily on price, as well as location and reviews. Depending on your needs, I think no frills is the way to go when traveling to a scenic destination. You get a room, and pay for anything extra you might need (e.g. No room cleaning during your stay), but with a no-frills room, you aren't inclined to dawdle in the room when you could be out seeing the sights.
The location of the hotel is next to a grocery, and only a few steps from Markensgate, which leads to the harbor area. Kristiansand isn't that big, and the harbor is probably a leisurely ten-minute walk from the hotel.
The hotel lobby was clean and basic, with a small breakfast area for sitting and talking at other times of the day. The clerk, May-Rita, was friendly, professional and helpful. We were checked in quickly, and soon found our room.
The room was small and basic, with a bathroom that was possibly the tiniest we saw on our trip. The real oddity was the bed - a single, bunked over a double, which contained a trundle bed! The trundle bed contained extra bedding, but we otherwise kept it shut so we could have floor space. The whole thing was sheet metal construction The upper bunk was reached by a movable ladder which made quite a racket when I accidentally kicked it loose. Worse, the occupant of the upper had to remain almost perfectly still during the night to avoid making the bunk squeak loudly. Not really a detriment to the room as much as an entertainment - since I wasn't in the upper!
Breakfast was a nice buffet of Norwegian standards with some novel dishes.
Altogether, this wasn't a bad place for a night or two.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel is generally pretty quiet. I don't know about the back.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Maybe it was because I hadn't seen a bed in a long time (Seattle to Amsterdam to Oslo and then train to Kristiansand), but the Yess hotel did not disappoint. One reviewer noted the hotel had "all the charm of an Ikea showroom." I loved that comment, and it was then I knew the hotel might be basic yet comfortable. I was most concerned about our reception. After all, this was our first hotel in Norway...ever. Looking back after two weeks traveling in Norway, I wish all of my hotels had been the Yess. They had very friendly and helpful staff, it was a good sleep, the rooms were comfortable and clean, and we enjoyed a good quality breakfast. Believe all of the good things mentioned in other reviews; they're right. I don't know about 'negatives' as there were none for us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Torbjørn O, General Manager at Yess! Hotel Kristiansand, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Hello!

Thank you for your wonderful review and nice pictures.

I hope you had a great time in Norway, and if two weeks wasn't enough, you are more than welcome back to us!
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a very basic and minimal hotel, located 5 minutes, by car from the ferries. Because of its location, it is not a pretty area/street, but fine and absolutely convenient for access to the ferries to Denmark. The staff were extremely helpful, courteous and kind! We were four adults, staying two to a room, but the rates were low enough that we took two triple rooms, which gave us lots of space. In each room, there were two twin beds pushed together on one wall, and on the other wall were bunk beds. There was a table and two metal/plastic chairs. All very neat and clean. One room's bathroom was quite a bit larger than the other room's, but even the smaller one was fine, especially for one night. There is parking in the rear, for a fee. One of our group had sprained an ankle, so instead of going out to dinner, we bought food in the large grocery store a couple of doors down and ate in the rooms. A basic but good breakfast opens early so that making an early ferry is easy. It is a great value.

Room Tip: Even though we were there only one night, we enjoyed having the triple room size.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Small rooms, simple and plain, but at this price it is recommended. Clean, comfortable bed. Friendly service. Very convenient location, walking distance to everything, including the railway station. I'll use this hotel again if I'm paying myself.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had a super super-small room with just 3m2 floor-space and a family-sized bunk-bed with excellent mattresses. The TV-set provided a whopping five channels, but the 90Mb internet-access enhanced the technological side of the of the so much that the poor TV-standard didn't really matter.

The breakfast was simple. Do not expect a continental breakfast at this hotel - the only warm dishes was coffee and boiled eggs.

There was quite a hiccup considering the management. Don't get me wrong, the personell I met was nice and accomodating, but I adressed one issue at the very beginning of my two-week stay and the management did not even bother replying, in spite of my constant reminders. Not good at all! I demand to be taken seriously, as it was important for me too solve this issue.

You have to notify the staff if you want any roomservice during your stay, as this costs extra...

If you are looking for a cheap transit, hostel-style hotel, I can still recommend a stay.

Room Tip: Ask for any from the fifth-floor and up, facing the sea-side. The rooms on the other side faces the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Yess! Hotel Kristiansand? Share your experiences!