“Best Indian in town!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 990 Restaurants in Oslo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Mother India is Norway’s oldest Indian restaurant. Run by the Sharma family the restaurant opened its door in 1993, and has been with the same family in the same location ever since. We are proud of this, but also humble to our guests' expectations of us.We regard ourselves as cultural ambassadors of India through the food we serve. Hence, as our guest you are not a customer but part of our family.We constantly source our ingredients from different suppliers, searching for the very best. That is why we also blend our own spice mixtures. This gives our food a unique flavor, and the recipes are a well kept secret.
“Best Indian in town!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2015

Awesome food with great service. The taste reminded me of home. The fact that the owner is always present says a lot.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

“Excellent Dining At Mother India”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2015

Excellent dining experience at the restaurant Mother India. Very friendly and accommodating service. Nice atmosphere. Very good food with levels of spiciness for every one. Would have been even better if it were slightly roomier.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Norge
“Simply Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2015

Finding ourselves in downtown Oslo a beautiful, sunny and warm spring afternoon, we decided to trot down to “Mother India”, our favourite restaurant for authentic Indian food. This cosy, family run restaurant, easily accessible by public transport, stands right by the tram stop on Pilestredet and serves, in our opinion, the best Indian food in town.

And, we are not alone in that thought.

For on this beautiful warm afternoon, Mother India did not lack for guests, a big group was already dining when we came in around four, and others started arriving soon after. A solo diner, an impressive African woman clad in traditional clothes caught my eye. Being partial to restaurants where women feel comfortable dining alone, I took a look around the restaurant and was impressed by the diversity among the guests, different cultures, ages, gender and conviction, religious or otherwise. Among others, another solo woman diner, a couple of men, another romantic couple, a small group of young girl friends and apparently a group of male colleagues. I did not see any children this time though in the past I have been impressed by – obviously not of Indian descent – children actually enjoying Indian food at Mother India.

So many people on a sunny Tuesday in April! We might have felt cramped somewhere else in a room this size with so many people, but not in cosy Mother India. Here, it is charming both in the room with the beautiful wall silhouetting land marks from almost four centuries of recent Indian history and in the smaller front room; simple elegance, gentle lighting, and unobtrusive yet efficient and friendly service provide the backdrop for scrumptious food.

The food is simply delicious. The papads with the salad and the chutneys built the appetite for the delicious starters we chose, marinated tandoori prawns (jhinga laziz) and chicken wings (murg pankh); both mouth- watering and superb, served with generous helpings of salads, a corn and green mango salad with the prawns, and a rich green salad with gherkins and jalapenõs, and lots of other salad goodies with the chicken. While the prawns and the wings were the ordered dishes, the accompanying salads showed that they too had been prepared with great care. Our main courses too were fabulous, an order of samudri khazana (a creamy, mildly spicy preparation of sea food) that melted in the mouth, and an order of rogan josh (a spicy preparation of tender, boneless lamb) served with rice and an order of different naans. And, as though drowning all this with Indian Kingfisher beer and nimbu paani (Indian lemonade) was not enough, we wound up the meal with mango ice, delicious and refreshing, served with a dusting of grated fresh coconut, and a slice each of passion- and cactus fruit. The variety of fresh fruit and vegetables used to enhance the flavour and presentation of a dish, and the attention to detail is amazing whether a dish is a main course or not. Again, the food is simply delicious at Mother India; they blend their own spices, I hear.

A large group of friends had quietly replaced the somewhat smaller group by our side as we neared the end of our meal. My attention got caught by a young girl who didn’t quite know what to order; she loved korma and she loved fish but she could neither stand the thought of fruit in her dinner nor understand the need for it! The friendly waiter, expertly handling the situation, won my admiration before my thoughts took me back in time when in a similar gathering in Mother India one of my colleagues got quite upset at not being able to get boiled potatoes with his order of main course! (He told me later he enjoyed the meal in spite of no boiled potatoes on the side. I hope this young lady too enjoyed the combination she found so unusual, and that she continues to have an open mind in future.)

Recollection of the dinner with my colleagues not too long after my first visit to Mother India over twenty years ago reminded me that during this long interim many of our old time favourites have closed down, while some others have changed hands several times over.

We are happy that “Mother India” has prevailed.

Let this then be a tribute to the family and all at Mother India in appreciation of the hard work they put in through the years upholding a tradition of taste and hospitality. Congratulations for having weathered the test of times; perfection takes time.

Oslo, Norway
“"Best Restaurant in Oslo!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2015

We are really happy with the superb Indian food and the lovely excellent service at Mother India. First time I visited the restaurant was in 2004. My artist name is "Poppin Grandpa", Dr. polit., dancer, skier, author and painter. Very active people need the best Indian food.
But philosophy and artists bakes no bred! We love the wonderful food and atmosphere in Mother India.

Oslo, Norway
“This restaurant has it all!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2015

A hidden gem in Oslo. I have lived here 28 years and never tried this restaurant before. The atmosphere, service and food were wonderful. We went there to celebrate our son’s 20th birthday. They even brought out an amazing dessert for him with a firework cake candle shooting off!! Now that is extra service at no charge! I would recommend this place to anyone looking for authentic Indian cuisine in Oslo.

• Visited February 2015