“A cozy place that lives up to its reputation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 1,031 Restaurants in Oslo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Mother India is Norway’s oldest Indian restaurant. Run by the Sharma family the restaurant opened its door in 1993, and has been with the same family in the same location ever since. We are proud of this, but also humble to our guests' expectations of us.We regard ourselves as cultural ambassadors of India through the food we serve. Hence, as our guest you are not a customer but part of our family.We constantly source our ingredients from different suppliers, searching for the very best. That is why we also blend our own spice mixtures. This gives our food a unique flavor, and the recipes are a well kept secret.
Oslo, Norway
“A cozy place that lives up to its reputation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

A large selection of dishes, the food and service was excellent, nice atmosphere and the prices are affordable. Highly recommended!

Having Celiac Disease and being vegetarian was no problem. Thumb up!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Wonderful!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I had my birthdaydinner at mother India, and it turned out to be a wonderful night! I don't have anything bad to say about this place, the service was great, and we did ask for some extra and different stuff - no problem at all. And the most important thing: the food was soooo good:):) only problem you might have is that you don't get a table because it's a small restaurant, so you should make a reservation! (You can do this by phone or mail)

Pyongyang, North Korea
“Good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I liked the food and the service. They were very friendly and nice. The service was timely. The food was delicious - but very spicy. Category 4 (strong) is really strong. I recommend Category 3 for average Scandinavian.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oslo, Norway
“Best special meal I've been served”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Living with allergies and on a strict medical diet eating out is a luxury as well as a risk, and from my experience with other restaurants, very rarely successful. But Mother India really impressed me, not only were they able to serve me food with my extensive list of no-foods, they were able to make me a proper dish that tasted absolutly fantastic! I didn't feel like my food was in any way less of a meal than what my family was served. They were also very impressed with their food, and with friendly staff and a nice atmosphere on top of everything this was truly a great night out.

• Visited January 2014
Alta, Norway
“Delicious food and a friendly and attentive staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

This is probably the best Indian restaurant in Oslo. We were 9 for dinner and in a small restaurant like this I didn't expect the dishes to arrive at the same time. But they did, and they were all warm. This alone is a big plus. The portions were generous and perfectly balanced. At least mine was. I could taste the different spices without any of them being overpowering. My mango lassi is possibly the best I've ever had, and I love mango lassi. The staff was attentive and friendly. I will definitely make Mother India my go to restaurant for Indian food in Oslo in the future!