“Tiny portions of food and wine, you'll leave hungry!” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 960 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: One of the finest gourmet restaurants in Oslo, located in a 17th-century building in the old city centre. The ceiling has some of the finest stucco work in Northern Europe. The chef, Bent Stiansen, won the prestigious chef championship Bocuse d'Or in 1993. Order from the à la carte menu or try the six-course menu of the day. The menu is composed of the best ingredients available at the time Stiansen uses high-quality Norwegian ingredients, coloured by European tradition. Chambre separée for 8-24 persons. In the basement you find the more informal Statholderens Krostue, which is open for both lunch and dinner.
Oslo, Norway
“Tiny portions of food and wine, you'll leave hungry!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I went to Statholdergaarden with very high expectations as it is known to be one of the best restaurants of Oslo. I was clearly not swept off my feet by the food.
The place looks really nice and fancy, the service was excellent (they agreed to serve me a meat-only meal) but the food was not as fantastic as I was expecting. We took a 6-course menu with wine and I left the place feeling hungry. The wine was very very good but I wish they had poured a bit more as the amount of wine was ridiculously small. When it comes to the food, it was good, no doubt about it. But it was not as innovative and mind-blowing (only the cheese-apple gelée stood out) as I was expecting and the portions were clearly too small. I left the restaurant very hungry and had to get some food on my way home.
The value for the money is definitely not a bargain.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Get the reindeer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We were going for traditional fare. Everything we had was good. The reindeer was very good. Got mine medium rare (they wanted to serve it rare). There is a reason it's ranked #2 on the list. Highly recommended by our hotel (Bristol Hotel)

Visited December 2013
“Be prepared to grab a burger on your way home”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I just recently had my 4th visit to this lovely restaurant. On my previous visits I was very impressed, but the failed my expectations hugely this time. We had the 6 course meal with the wine package (lik on previous visits). The food was nice, but nothing spectacular. The only dish that stood out was the fish main course. The wine was delicious all the way through, although the were very cheap on the amount they poured compared to previous experiences.

But you would think that you would feel full and satisfied after such an evening.... The service was extremely slow the first 1h30min. And since the portions were extremely tiny we kept feeling more and more hungry. We were all women and not big eaters. The food we got was nice, and the service was nice - but we felt ROBBED, and very hungry leaving! Thank god for a burger place down the road. I hate going to bed hungry!

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Be prepared for a great meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The building is beautiful. Love the bronze lions outside. Inside the decor is very welcoming and beautiful. The ambiance is just right. Service is very smooth. The food is just mouth watering from the fresh baked warm bread to the amazing appetizers and it goes on. The wine list is extensive. What ever you chose you will not be disappointed. We will come again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lillestrom, Norway
“Exclusive restaurant for special occasions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This restaurant has 1 star in the Michelin guide. Both service and food is very good. You should be prepared to pay between NOK 2000-3000,- per person for an evening her, and you should book in advance. The amotsphere and interior gives you a slightly formal feeling. The dishes they serve are excellent but small (especially for hungry teenagers).

• Visited August 2013