“Didn't quite live up to the view” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #56 of 906 restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Norwegian, International
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Holsworthy, United Kingdom
“Didn't quite live up to the view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

As guests to our Norwegian family we visited this restaurant recently as a special treat, unfortunately the dining experience did not live up to the spectacular view - yes the food was nice, interesting and for the most part well presentedand cooked but overall there were too many flaws for me to recommend this restaurant wholeheartedly.
We were a party of 6 and booked our table for early evening - the first thing we noticed was crumbs and scraps of food on the dining room floor - ok that can happen. Next our table was 3 small tables arranged together to seat our party, unfortunately the end table was on an uneven area of floor and was quite wobbly - ok that can happen but we had to fix it with a spare paper napkin ourselves. Our dining table was arranged so close to the next dining table that the waiters and waitress could not serve from between the 2 tables and had to reach across the guests on the end of our table to serve, clear away, provide cutlery, pour water, pour wine, remove glasses etc so by the end of the meal i felt i had to check before putting food in my mouth in case someone was going to lean over me again.
The food we were served varied in standard - starters cured ham with cream cheese and hazelnut dressing - very nice, cauliflower soup with scallops - delicious, smoked salmon with roe - fairly standard. Main courses - 5 of our party selected a dish of Iberian pork served with polenta and other veg - 2 people had very hard inedible turnip, 2 people managed to eat their turnip and the 5th person got no turnip at all. The meat was very tender but also very fatty - too much so for one of our party. The 6th person in our party enjoyed a delicious fish dish with no hard vegetables. Desserts - chocolate brownie and blackberry clafloutis were enjoyed by the people who chose these desserts - unfortunately my option was a rather flavourless deconstructed rhubarb crumble and i would not recommend it.
We didn't bother with coffee and cognac as i didn't want anyone leaning over me any more. Overall we enoyed being together but felt it was very expensive (even by Norwegian standards) for the service and quality of dining experience. I would go for lunch or tea outside on a sunny day to enjoy the view but would not dine here again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Oslo, Norway
“Nice food, excellent view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great view over the Oslo fjord!
This is not the cheapest of places to eat, but the food is good. Combined with the view, good service and nice ambience, it's definitely worth a visit!

Visited February 2013
Oslo, Norway
“Excellent view, great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I've been here first with colleagues and then with family. The food was great and the view over the Oslo fjord is impressive. The building is a nice example of modern architecture and I believe it's a historical building. The prices are very reasonable compared to what you get - abundant dishes and the experience of the view and building. Helpful and welcoming staff. I do recommend this place and I'm definitely coming back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oslo, Norway
“Great view and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This funkis building is worth a visit. The place was shut down for many years and it was a real shame. Now it's just a great restaurant. We were a little unlucky when we were there wwith our waitress but that is shortly after the opening. I have only heard good recommandations from others.

“Lack of teaspoons...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I´m not to keen on giving the reader a wrong impression; on the other hand I need to state my honest opinion about the place:

I´ve been here a few times, for both lunch and dinner. I´ve been enjoying great wine pairing and delicious meals. I think Ekebergrestauranten is a cultural, historical location of importance to Oslo as a city. Not only does it offer beautiful view of downtown and surrounding areas, it has a great restaurant with good vibe and offers.

Food is made with passion, and passion is hard to put a price on. Some people may say it is a bit expensive, others disagree. I think this is something you need to figure out on your own. What I can say which is of importance is that I´ve had two akward experiences in the restaurant the past 2 years.

One time we showed up and had to wait 15 minutes for our booked table. The restaurant was very busy and staff seemed to have lost controll on certain areas.. When we got our table the avarage waiting between courses (3) were 3-40 minutes. I dont like to complain but service was extreemly slow this night.

Last time I went here about a month ago I ordered a cup of tea with my lunch. The selection was good BUT I was not given a teaspoon..... How was I supposed to fish out the teabag and stir my gently sugered tea? I guess the vaitor wasn´t a tea-drinker. I wanted to check his awarness level and ordered a new cup of tea. As the second cup and teapot was served the teaspoon was nowhere to be seen. A rookie mistake by a restaurant who should know how to serve a proper cup of tea.

As I said earlier I dont like to paint a picture that doesn´t comply with reality. These two incidents are probably an exeption. I think the restaurant is of high quality and I will not have anything against reccomending you a visit! Just be aware and ask for the teaspoon =)

• Visited February 2013