“Pretentious and way overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 971 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Alex Sushi in Solli Plass square in Oslo is one of the city's finer sushi restaurants. The interior is modern and stylish with an open kitchen area where guests sit around an oval table, watching the mastery of the sushi chefs at work. The menu includes a fascinating number of ingredients, with some exotic highlights for the more adventurous. The service is relaxed, knowledgeable and friendly. An excellent wine list complements the food, with vintage varieties mainly from France and Italy.
Oslo, Norway
“Pretentious and way overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Make no mistake, the food is good and the sushibar is exciting as you get to see the chefs prepare the food. Still, the food is totally overpriced and the service is "stiff upper lip". Our table was not ready, so we got the: "Grab a drink while you wait". The smallest glass of champagne at the cost of Euro 19 is utterly ridiculous. Next time I'm in the mood for some sushi i will rather go slumming downtown Oslo at the sushi shacks where your don't get robbed

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Vienna, Austria
“Overrated?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I think this the best Sushi and else that I ever had in Europe (and in the US), including Unkai in Vienna, Austria. I have had Sushi in Singapore and Australia but not in Japan - thus, I cannot compare. However, this was a very good quality tonight and I do not regret that I paid 950 NOK.
The only thing I would complain about was the temperature of the white wine - it was not as cold as I wished... and it was not easy to explain to the waiter.
Apart from that: the staff was excellent and explained the food well.
The rest: very clean appearance inside the restaurant (yes, we were lucky and the weather was perfect to sit outside), including the toilets.
And: similar to other people that rated the place very good: I would definitely come back!!!!

Oslo
“Very good meal, good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I've been to Alex Sushi a couple of times before, and it is always satisfying.

I have absolutely no complaints about the food, the maki, nigiri and sashimi are tasty and excellent, and they serve wine or sake that suits the food well.

While they are not quite on the same level as those restaurants aspiring to a Michelin guide star, I am hard pressed to think of anywhere in Oslo that serves better sushi etc.

My sole complaint is that the rooms are loud, there is too little sound dampening, and the long table in the inner room makes it hard for guests from different parties to sit in piece if someone leaves or arrives, or needs to use the restroom.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
“Variable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is a very pricy place, even for being sushi and even for being in Oslo. The first time I went I was really impressed by the quality of the food, I had the middle range set sushi menu and especially remember the crunchy crab roll and the whale sushi (the second more for oddity than taste).
The second time however, was a real dissapointment. I had the same menu, but this time the rice was soggy which ruined most of the dishes. I still have a hard time understanding how such a restaurant can have such poor rice, we got there relatively early in the evening but it's still unacceptable. After this experience I very much hesitate to return.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oslo
“Maki, maki forever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Thank you for a wonderful evening. I had nigiri sushi, futo-maki/kuchi maki and tempura maki.

What a tasty combination. This restaurant is a highlight to any vaation around the world.