“Not impressed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Hotel Grand Central

You added Comfort Hotel Grand Central to your Saves list
Comfort Hotel Grand Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jernbanetorget 1 | Oslo Central Station (Oslo S), Oslo 0154, Norway (Sentrum)   |
Ranked #14 of 85 Hotels in Oslo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kristiansand, Norway
“Not impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed at this hotel one night in beginning of April.
Reception was like a 7-Eleven, with a kiosk behind the front desk. And I was told there is no minibar in the room. Got a room in the new wing, room 4hundredsomething. First of all, it was a long walk and I had to ask for direction due to lack of signs. Second, it was the smallest room I ever got in a hotel. Almost claustrophobic. The bed was taking 80% of the room space. The decor on the wall was some (what looks like) Korean characters with a Asian woman with her fist raised. Could it be North Korean?? Absolutely not to my liking. And another form of decor in the room and hallway was teared off pieces of old wallpaper glued to the wall. And in combination with something looking like tagging on the walls. The desk was a fall down desk from the wall, and the chair was looking like something from the 70ies. Not very comfortable. The TV was just above, so working on the computer and looking at TV at the same time was a challenge. The bed was nice and gave me a good sleep.

The bathroom looked new and was in a good size. I guess it was 1/3 of the bedroom size.

The Fitness room was located just above the reception, and if you where working out there you was on display for people down stairs.

Ate at the restaurant. It was average and over prized. 55 kr for 4 pieces of bread with aioli is ridiculous. Wine prices at 4-5 times the price at the Vinmonopolet is not very customer friendly. Would not eat there again. However, my colleague said the breakfast was decent.

First time I have been asked to pay for my room at check-in. Felt like a cheap motel, but for the price at more than 1400 kroner its not something I would return to if there is other options.

But at least the location was great!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Erling,

Thank you for staying with us here at Comfort Hotel Grand Central.
The art of Ariel McMillion creates the identity we want in this listed building from 1884. Some love the artwork, others not- that’s the beauty of art!

In Comfort Hotels we means that hotel minibars are ridiculously expensive, too expensive for you and expensive to operate for me. Buy rather a bottle of drink from my dear service crew to at NOK 20.

Your homemade focaccia and fresh aioli at NOK 55 at Bella Bambina Ristorante is calculated with an average and normal food cost. I respect your opinion, but we`re not an overpriced restaurant.

Hope you`ll stay with us soon again Erling.
Wish you all the best with your ferry cruise ship high-season soon to come.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stavanger, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Average minus, it's a place to sleep, but not much more.
The Restaurant claims to be the best Italian in town. Well, it's not.

The breakfast buffet is poor compared with Scandic (Both Comfort and Scandic Grand Central is located in the complex of Oslo Central railway station, so I think it's fair to compare them). Only one type of bread, no sausages, lack of normal selection of jams, no-fat milk. Simply not as you expect.

The building is old, but the hotel is brand new and everything is renovated for the opening. So, why are there cracks in the flooring and walls of floor stand after a few months?

Have had different rooms, but all have the same wallpaper: A strange woman / fantasy creatures who, according to my taste certainly is not particularly pretty, looking down at you from different angles. Interior design involves strips of the same paper is glued up here and there on other painted walls. Not "my cup of tea", but maybe someone thinks this is trendy.

A sterile lobby decorated more like a reading than as a place to relax.

Dear OlavAnd,

Thank you for sharing your opinion. As General Manager I appreciate highly any input. It`s the only and best way to get better. Enhance and develop.

We have taken some conceptual choices, which you unfortunately dislike;

Yes, the breakfast has a smaller range. But better ingredients. We focus on sustainable food not quantity items that are only for decoration and not often used and ultimately discarded as waste. We throw way too much food in Norway. Our local contribution to the environment for the reduction of food waste is a smaller and better breakfast.
Yes, Jam buffet does not have 10 different varieties loaded with sugar, we have selected 1 homemade, with 1.2 kg fresh berries and 100 g fructose.

The wallpaper art of Ariel McMillion in many of my 170 rooms creates the identity we wanted. With art there is always opinions. Positive and negative -that's the beauty of art!

When you do some conceptual choices it means that some Love to stay here, others not.
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I had a small single room. The room had the essentials: good bed, good tv, nice bathroom, a small desk and a chair. But it did'nt have anything else. No iron, no kettle, no shoe horn.
Breakfest was good, staff was nice, hotel was clean.

• Stayed March 2013
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Johan,
Thank you for your stay with us. And thank you for sharing your experience. As a reasonable newly opened hotel all extra input is appreciated.
You want kettle, shoe horn and ironing board. It is understandable if you use this a lot in hotels during you stay. But; We wish you as our guest welcome with 24 hour complimentary organic coffee and tea service in the lobby, and Norway’s most creative ironing room on the 2nd floor.

Very glad you liked the essential in a hotel, cleaning, healthy breakfast, good bed, 40 "TV and a good bathroom.
We look forward to welcoming you back to us Johan. All the best from Comfort Hotel Grand Central.
Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Found the hotel very easily (is in the train station - look for McDonald's and you're on the right track) and the location is absolutely superb. The staff are very attentive, friendly and lovely really!! All of them very welcoming and if only all staff were like this everywhere!!
The facilities to store the luggage are fantastic, realisable and I felt safe leaving my bags at the hotel as we had a late plane.
I was surprised with the room at first as it felt very expensive for what you actually get, as I wasn't keen on the art of if or the grey on the walls and the white writin which made it feel like it was 'cheaper' than it was. But the beds were incredibly comfortable, as were the duvets. The shower was fab, the only problem being there was no shower curtain or curtains over the window and even though no one can look in, when you move in the shower (it's like one big wet room) you can get a bit chilly cause nothing is keeping the hot air in.
The free wifi is fabulous, again very impressive along with free tea and coffee (just a shame they didn't have breakfast tea which I love!).
I wasn't a huge fan of breakfast because I'm quite a plain Jane so didn't find anything to suit me apart from cornflakes and I didn't like the teas on offer (again would much prefer a breakfast tea) but there is a healthy kick going on in the hotel so I understand why the teas are fruity. Also I would like some white bread as an option but that's purely just preference. My bf who is not fussy in the slightest loved breakfast :) again the kitchen staff were fantastic and do a great job. The hotel was very clean too, no complaints there. If I came to Oslo again I would choose to stop here. Many thanks to the wonderful staff again.

• Stayed April 2013
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear kmurphDerbyshire,

Thank you! It pleases me and my colleagues to read your kind feedback. I will share your words with all of my on site, because you motivate us with such kind words.
Hope we see you both soon again as our guests here at the Comfort Hotel Grand Central! Welcome back.
Bayonne, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is modern, well decorared and part of the central station. There is no need to leave the station to enter the hotel. The hotel staff are very friendly and the breakfast is quite tasty. The hotel lacks in some common amenities found in other hotels like toiletries and around the clock laundry services.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear whslc,

Thank you for staying with us at the Comfort Hotel Grand Central!
Laundry services is available but is unfortunately only open during the external dry cleaner's own opening time.

Glad you liked the hotel, the good location and the service. I hope to see you back soon as my guest.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

For anyone struggling to find exactly where the hotel is: it occupies part of the big yellow "Ostbanehallen" building immediately to the south of Oslo Sentral railway station. You can walk through the station and then a row of shops and restaurants to the door of the hotel lobby, though it's a bit tricky to find this the first time - it's easiest to go round the outside of the Ostbanehallen to find the hotel's external door. It's in a very convenient location, right next to the main railway station, and various tram and bus routes, and very close to Karl Johans Gate, Oslo's pedestrianised main drag. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the rooms are clean and modern, though rather minimalist - not many frills. I found my room a bit clumsily designed: when you put towels on the towel rail, they hang down over the WC basin; the thermostat was hidden behind the flatscreen TV on the wall, so I didn't find it until the second day; and the desk had an inconveniently placed row of metal studs down the middle, making it difficult to place my laptop on it. I could hear no noise from outside the hotel, but did hear some noise and footsteps from the corridor outside my room - probably because the floors are hard. Pricewise it seemed to be reasonable value by Oslo standards (in the city where a coffee and a bun can set you back $15), though I did see adverts for another nearby hotel which claimed to charge a lot less.

Dear PeterCG
I highly appreciate your kind feedback.
Thank you for your dedication to the many new readers who are searching for information about the Comfort Hotel Grand Central.

Appreciate the input to improve our hotel, I take this further with the management team. Thank you for helping us improve to product! Hope to see you back soon.
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Pros:
1) The customer service at the front desk was excellent. I agree with some other reviewers that not all of the staff is as knowledgeable about Oslo as Emilie. She was an expert on just about everything.
2) The free breakfast had a large assortment of delicacies...except the eggs! The scrambled eggs had a hard crust from sitting under the warming light, yet they were cold. This presents a hygiene issue. The other food items were fresh and tasty.
3) Strong wifi signal.
4) Clean rooms.
5) Great location in the train station. You see people schlepping their suitcases all over town walking to their hotels located blocks away.

Cons:
1) Lack of towels. They supply two hand towels and two bath towels and no wash cloths. One hand towel had to be used as a bath mat because there was no shower door, so the water splashed all over the bathroom floor.
2) No where to hang clothes. There are hangars, and some very short pegs, but the pegs are not conducive to holding more than one hangar.
3) The bathroom could use some robe hooks on the door and at least one shelf in the shower to put shampoos and soaps (instead they have to be placed on the shower floor).
4) The room layout. There is plenty of room, but the space in our room was not properly utilized. The desk was right in front of the bed, so one had to crawl over the bed if someone was sitting at the desk.
5) The pillows were small and lumpy. I left a note for housekeeping for extra pillows and they complied.
6) The coffee maker in the lobby never seemed to work and they were always out of creamer.

Since there is no air conditioning in the rooms, I could see a noise issue in the warmer months. I could not get the heat to turn off in the room. We kept the window open. Our room was facing the front of the hotel, which is loud and bustling almost 24/7. I always carry ear plugs, so this was not an issue for us.

I would stay here, again, but it would be nice if they addressed the little things that make a hotel stay truly great.

Room Tip: Plan your room location based on the weather. In warmer months, chose a room not facing the bustling...