“Hotel Was Great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Hotel Grand Central

You added Comfort Hotel Grand Central to your Saves list
Comfort Hotel Grand Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jernbanetorget 1 | Oslo Central Station (Oslo S), Oslo 0154, Norway (Sentrum)   |
Ranked #13 of 86 Hotels in Oslo
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Hotel Was Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I travel quite a bit for business and this hotel was great... the location was idea just near the station and all the shops and walking distance to all the attractions. The Staff made the trip for me and were extremely helpful recommending great places to eat and things to see. The rooms are basic but very modern. The only thing I would have liked would be tea/coffee facilities in my room and a bigger cover (they had 2 single quilts on the double bed). The bathroom was good and it was very clean and new. The reception was good to socialise with tea and coffee free as and when you wanted it, and the internet was fast. Apple PCs available for anyone to use. Food was good. Overall I would def recommend this place if you want somewhere local with great staff who could not be more helpful. It is within the Train Station but it is really quiet. only 20mins from Airport and then 3mins walk and you are there! Perfect location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear julia f,

Thank you very much for your very kind feedback and your recomondation.
It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest.
Hope we see you soon again at Comfort Hotel Grand Central.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Good place to sleep. Funky design throughout the hotel. Obly drawbacks were a slightly negative staff in the breakfast restaurant and a cold bathroom.
All in all, well recommend and a hotel I'll use again myself.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Hoiturson. Thank you for your stay with us.

Thanks, and I agree with you. Service at breakfast is very important and this I promise to improve. We have recently hired new breakfast leader, employee due to her warm smile and good service attitude. We hope this results in improved service.

Thank you for making us better and welcome back to Comfort Hotel Grand Central.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed here for just one night before taking a train north. I booked a standard single room, and requested a quiet room so I could be sure of a decent sleep.
Hans on reception greeted me as I was checking in online - as it was 2:30pm and check in is apparently from 3pm the system asked if I wanted to pay an extra 100nok for 'early check in'! Hans checked me in at the front desk instead. I made a couple of visits to reception during my stay, to ask for an additional pillow, to get a map etc. Hans was extremely helpful, and remembered my name and room number, greeting me by name each time. Service in Norway is generally very good, and this was another great example.

The room itself was absolutely tiny - single bed, small desk and chair, strange leather rocking chair, luggage stand and a small but functional bathroom. The decor is very modern and somewhat masculine, with grey being the predominant colour in my room.

Things I liked

Breakfast was a standout. I only wished I wasn't catching such an early train as I could have enjoyed a more leisurely breakfast. Great bread, freshly baked by the feel of it (still warm), good selection of hot and cold items, including lovely baked mini tomatoes (nice to see a hot vegetable dish for breakfast, all too often it is bacon,sausage, egg). Nice cereals and yoghurts, good coffee and delicious homemade raspberry jam. I wish I'd been able to take some of that with me :-)

The bed itself was comfortable, and the lighting (once I'd turned off the main overhead lights) made the room quite cosy. The TV is good, but there is only one english-language channel - BBC world.

The location is clearly a big selling point - being able to go from hotel to station under cover is very convenient.
There is a nice area in reception to relax and make a hot drink - I liked the selection of herbal teas. Other items are available to buy from the reception.

The room was quiet, with no street noise even when I had opened the window for some air (my room looked over the roof of the station)
The hotel is easy to navigate with a wheeled case, little ramps as well as stairs and a fairly 'hard' carpeted floor, much better than thick pile carpet! The lifts are also efficient and spacious.

The ironing room is hilarious, everyone should visit it, ironing or not. I want an ironing board like that!

Things I thought could be better

Despite the quirky hotel design (which I liked, some may find the artwork a little inappropriate) it still has a bit of a 'motel' feel due to the following things (which for the cost, I think should be improved)

Tiny towel and no bathmat - with an unheated tile floor, a bathmat would be an easy addition.
Plastic glass in the bathroom - be a bit more environmentally aware and don't use throw-away items like this - plus nobody wants to drink from a plastic cup in a hotel.
The bathroom needs some hooks for hanging clothes and the like. There is one small hook above the sink for a hand towel, and rails to hold the bath towel (but these were hard to reach over the toilet in my room, maybe better for tall people). A couple of hooks on the back of the door would make all the difference.

Likewise there was nowhere to put soap or shower gel in the shower - couldn't even balance it on the taps as they were round. A small shelf would help.

The TV displays welcome information over 3 'pages', however these change every 3 seconds - far too fast to read! Took me several cycles to read all the info....

There was a cool lamp on the desk but it wasn't operated by the main light switches, instead I needed to scramble under the desk to find the switch. Or unplug it at the wall.

I also found it strange that there was both air con (which I couldn't turn off) and a radiator in the room - I ended up sleeping with the window open to compensate - again, not very enviro-friendly.

Finally, and I think this has been mentioned in other reviews, there needs to be signage for the hotel inside the station - it's not even shown on the map. I looked around for a while, then left the station, and had to wander around a bit til I saw the sign on the front of the hotel. One on the side would help, ie would be visible from the entrance to the station.

• Stayed February 2013
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear claire_fowler,

Thank you for your stay with us! Thanks a lot for a rich, informative, inspiring and helpful feedback. I'm pleased to read about all the points that you are happy with, during your stay with us.

As General Manager I appreciate your dedication to improvement, as well as your contribution for my new guests who are considering Comfort Hotel Grand Central and looking for inputs and answers.

Here I will do my best to provide input, facts and answers to your very inspiring feedback.

Rooms:
113 of the total 170 rooms are different at my hotel (we`ve build a hotel in a listed building from year 1884). Some are small 16-18sqr, standard 18-20sqr, some exceptional large 30+sqr, some with décor and some without. All built to have different and unique rooms that cover all our guests' needs. Some could have been improved, others are at the top level. Development with those who have the potential for improvement are therefore very important for us. And you helping us well on the way!

Towel`s:
We have an outside supplier at this, with the environment in mind. But I totally agree with you that these are not optimal. I will discuss this further with the supplier!

Bathmat/Plastic glass:
I promise to take this into consideration along with my managers. Thanks for the input.

TV Display:
This I will change with a slower slide switch. Completely agree with you. Thank you!

Heating:
The hotel is built with a smart technology and make the building controls the temperature itself. Are there people on the way in for the night the temperature regulate your room to 22 degrees. If the room is not booked for the night the temperature reduce to sleeping mode at 18 degrees, thus saving the environment. And with old buildings and both old and new window we built both radiator and cooling (Windows is a major source of heat loss).

Signage:
We are (still) actively working to get in order. We need approval from some local authorities before this gets improved.

Summary:
I am so grateful that you`re sharing information after a stay at our relatively new hotel. You do us and the Comfort Hotel Grand Central to a better product. Thank you very much.

Note: Hans will be rewarded by me personally, to have shown good service attitude to you as our guest.

Welcome back to Comfort Hotel Grand Central in Oslo.
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

There is not a lot to add to previous reviews, but here goes without reading all of them again.

I booked this one because of good reviews. I was not disappointed. The hotel was not quite what I expected - it is much larger. The bad points? Not many. It was a little difficult for me to find with a large bag weighing me down. The entrance is INSIDE the station. If you head for the downstairs exit, you will see an Italian Restaurant (Bella Bambina from memory). The reception desk is past the restaurant. You kind of walk through it.....

Check in was quick. A tip though is if you are on the fourth floor, as I was, is not to use the two lift system, of going to the third floor and changing lifts. If you go in a rather non descript door opposite the reception for the Restaurant, there is a lift that goes direct to the fourth floor.

The room was not large, but it was very comfortable. Free wifi, always a bonus and very high speed. It is easy to nip down to the station for some food, there being typically plenty of shops there to buy snacks in. I do wonder why anyone would buy from the reception in the hotel, when there are numerous cafes, newsagents etc just in a short walk in the station.

Breakfast was a bit strange. There were not too many tables, and there was no one to direct you to a table. I wonder how many people just wander in off the street and help themselves! The food was very good and included in the price.

The room was quiet, and clean and all was efficient. And the bonus??? I had a late flight and was delighted to be told that check out was 6.00 pm!!!!!! Perfect, and apparently price included. I had no need to store luggage, or hang about the streets. It is worth staying at the hotel for this alone.

The main advantage of the hotel is that it is part of the station. THerefore, it is a short walk to the airport express train; yet the hotel is central. Staff were excellent, friendly and efficient. I simply cannot fault this hotel at all and it has lots of added bonuses.

If you want a good hotel, centrally located, right next to the airport express train with added bonuses, this is highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear rstornoway,
Me feedback start with the summary: Thank you! This is helpful information for many of our upcoming guests. Thanks for your concern, for sharing information, sharing your knowledge and for your constructive feedback from your stay with us at Comfort Hotel Grand Central.
In my personal response to you, I want to do as you; supplementing with hopefully useful knowledge to Trip Advisor readers:
- We have applied for a better sign plan to the Office of Cultural Heritage (The building from year 1884 is listed). We must become more visible, totally agree. Promises to improve this.
- Comfort Hotel Lobby Shop concept: the minibar expensive & lonely are replaced with socially and inexpensive, and is open 24-7.
- “Super Sunday Concept” with checkout at 6pm is included to all our guests and we are happy when people appreciate this concept.

I want to thank you on behalf of all employees- You motivate us to be better in our daily work and to develop a better hotel product!
We hope to see you back soon at Comfort Hotel Grand Central.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed one night in Oslo after a trip to Tromso and so we chose the Comfort Hotel Grand Central due to its location by the train station. This worked out to be a great move as we didn't waste time dragging bags across the city to another hotel.

The hotel is new and clean and quite funky without being too over the top with it. We loved the breakfast in the morning, so many nice things to choose from. The lounge area by reception was very inviting and it was nice to be able to enjoy a cup of tea after being out in the cold.

We found the staff very friendly and the left luggage facility was also great - there are lockers to keep bags in but if you have a larger piece of luggage the staff can keep that in a seperate room for you.

The area immediately around the hotel is not the prettiest part of the city, that is more in the West but Oslo is very easy to walk around and the public transport is easy to negotiate.

I would highly recommend staying in this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear KatLondonSW13
Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay with us.
Your feedback makes us even more motivated to develop the property further and maintain the strict control of room cleaning and breakfast quality.
What makes me happiest is that my colleagues gave you exactly the service you expected. The human relations factor to you as my guests are the most important for me as the General Manager. Service from the heart served with a friendly smile gives good added value during a stay at Comfort Hotel Grand Central. Hope to sees you both soon again.
Stavanger, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I have been living in Norway for 7 months but had never explored Oslo. This hotel was the perfect place to use as a base for seeing the city. While we struggled a bit to find the entrance of the hotel in the train station, once we did, we were more than happy with our choice to stay at the Grand Central.
The decor is modern and hip, the staff friendly & helpful and the rooms adequate. Despite our room facing the busy Karl Johans Gate, we slept soundly. We appreciated the WiFi and breakfast that was included in the rate and all of the quirky little touches around the property. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Oslo.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear JJReid1030,
Thanks for your and your beloved husband stays with us. Glad you both slept well. Our windows are soundproof, due to both window from year 1884 exterior with new 2-layer glass inside. This makes it quiet and with good soundproof, even if you staying in the heart of Oslo city.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Comfort Hotel Grand Central. I promise you that we are working actively to improve signs for from the Airport Express to our main entrance- this is given high priority! Welcome back.
Elverum, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Just got back from two nights in the super suite called "The Zeppelin Suite".

The service level from the hotel staff is superb!
They give you the extra attention and seek sollutions to all problems you might have, Hans in the reseption are an excellent Clarion ambassador!

The Zeppelin Suite with the angel from one of their covers panted big on one of the black walls is a design gem at a good price in the middle of Oslo.
Breakfast is super good!

We will absolute be back to this super hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Olav L, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Grand Central, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Stefi N,
Thanks for the nice feedback. We wish you both warmly welcomed back to the Comfort Hotel Grand Central. Then perhaps a test of “The Rolling Stones Suite”? Hans will be rewarded at my next internal meeting. Thank you.

Been to Comfort Hotel Grand Central? Share your experiences!