I have recently spent a night at this hotel, and it was quite a pleasant stay. Unlike some earlier reviewers, I had NO problem of noise.
My room, #523, was small and rather plain with a slanting ceiling, being right under the roof, and with a skylight rather than a window. So there was no view, but there was no noise, either. It was spotlessly clean and functional, with a good (free) Wi-fi connection.
The breakfast, which was included in the room charge, was excellent. I am a seasoned traveller, sometimes staying at a five-star hotel, but I don't often come across a breakfast buffet where there is a plentiful supply of fresh, warm bread or a choice of leaf teas as well as teabags as at this hotel.
The reception staff, including Alejandra and Zeta already named on these pages, were pleasant and competent.
A word of warning for prospective travellers to Oslo. This is a very expensive city. I live in London, where the prices are quite high, but I was surprised how expensive things were in Oslo. So don't take a taxi from the airport. There is a frequent (every 10 minutes) train service from the airport to the city centre called Flytoget. Take it and get off at National Theatre station (one after Oslo Central Station). When you come out of the station, you will see the rear of a big brick building in front of you, which is the National Theatre. The street on the left of that building is Karl Johans Gate, Oslo's main street. The hotel is a few minutes walk from there. The train journey is about 20 minutes and costs 170 kroner one way. A taxi from the airport costs 700-800 kroner.
I do not hesitate to stay again at the Karl Johan Hotel next time I visit Oslo.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Karl Johan Hotell Hotel
- Best Western Karl Johan Hotell Hotel Oslo
- Norlandia Karl Johan Hotell Oslo
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On Oslo’s main street and in the heart of the city centre lies this historic hotel from 1899. Next to the Parliament and within immediate walking distance to a variety of museums, attractions, shops, bars and restaurants. The hotel has 114 rooms, as well as 5 meeting rooms with a maximum capacity of 60 people. Most rooms renovated during 08/09. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Tingo, Otel, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Venere and getaroom.com so you can book your BEST WESTERN Karl Johan Hotell reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.