“Clean, close and kind” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thon Hotel Cecil

You added Thon Hotel Cecil to your Saves list
Thon Hotel Cecil
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stortingsgata 8 | Entrance Rosenkrantzgate, Oslo 0161, Norway (Sentrum)   |
Ranked #34 of 86 Hotels in Oslo
Bergen
“Clean, close and kind”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Close to most of what you are looking for in Oslo - including restaurants, sights, shopping, transportation and business area. Very helpful staff. Breakfast average. Ask for a room NOT facing Stortingsgata.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT facing Stortingsgata.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
thonhotelcecil, General Manager at Thon Hotel Cecil, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear SmilyBergen! Thank you very much for staying with us while in Oslo. Thon Hotel Cecil has a prime location just of Karl Johan, the main street, and next to the Parliament. Everything Oslo has to offer is just outside our doorsteps. Most of our rooms are facing towards our indoor atrium with a glass ceiling. We are looking forward welcoming you next time you are going to Oslo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I can't remember how many times I've been here, but still am happy always to come here. The couple of last times I've visited Oslo I have had to take another hotel, but sure was happy to get here again.

The location is nice, close to Karl Johan and Akerbrygge. Plenty of restaurants at a close range. Also a movie theatre a couple of blocks away. I hope the warm weather would come soon and. I would get back there.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Travellinn77! WOW!!! Thank you very much for fantastic review and your loyalty. Your feedback warms of heats and we are truly appreciating it.
We are also hoping for sun and warmer weather so we can enjoy one of the many outdoor restaurants close by, enjoying delicious seafood with a chilled glass of wine at Aker Brygge and stroll along Tjuvholmen and visit the magnificent collection of contemporary art at Astrup Fearnley. Oslo is an exciting city all year around. We are just about to finish the ski season in the Norwegian capital. We are warmly welcoming you back next time you are travelling to Oslo.
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Used Thon Cecil for one week on business, and the location is absolutely great - just at Stortinget, the ice skate rink - great.
Rooms are quite small, but cozy and does the job. My room (511) had a "view" to the roofed atrium, where breakfast is served. Looking straight, it is directly to the elevator, so I had to keep the "inner" curtains closed at all times to avoid curious looks - one down!
Breakfast is super great - the selection is fantastic and the quality good.
Free wi-fi - great. Free nespresso in the lobby - great! The staff was extremely service-minded, "going the extra mile", and really doing an effort to exceed expectations - one up!

Room Tip: Avoid 511 (I guess 411, 311 etc...) Direct view from elevator door to bed...!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
thonhotelcecil, General Manager at Thon Hotel Cecil, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us while in Oslo. It is a great pleasure to read your feedback and I will pass it on to our fantastic team at Thon Hotel Cecil. I truly hope to welcome you back next time you are going to Oslo.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I must admit I'm a no expert on Norwegian Hotels but wow, what a shock!

This hotel ranks alongside UK HI Express.... My room was tiny (not like the one on the pic). The shower room was like a small cupboard and the bedding was non existant!

Perhaps this is it in Norway, but more of a basic hostel in my opinion. There isn't even a food outlet other than an open area for breakfast. No bar, nothing.

Room Tip: Don't expect western standards (alothough you're in the west!)... I've never seen the l...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for reviewing us after your stay. Thon Hotel Cecil is a bed and breakfast hotel with a prime location in Oslo. Facility wise we are a 3 star hotel but standard wise we are a 4 star hotel. In average the hotel standard all of Norway and Scandinavia is higher than the rest of Europe also for hotels within the same star category. Thon Hotels offer from 2 to 5 stars hotels in Oslo so I am sure you will find a hotel that suites you needs better.
Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I use to stay in Thon hotels, and usually meet nice hotels with friendly service. This time I was put in a room with window against the breakfast room. The air in the room was hot and heavy, and I went to the reception to have another room. I said that i must have a room with windows that can be opened to have fresh air. Yes, I could have another room for 500 NKR extra. I accepted this as I knew that a hot and heavy room like will make my night terrible. I had to go for dinner, and was tired when I returned. The new room had also window to the breakfast area, and was just as hot and terrible as the first room. I understand that the hotel does not have many rooms with outside windows, and that should you inform the guests about when they book. This time I felt scammed and I will never return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
thonhotelcecil, General Manager at Thon Hotel Cecil, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you very much for taking time reviewing us after your stay. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Thon Hotel Cecil is an atrium hotel where most rooms are facing your bright and airy atrium were we serve breakfast. Some people like the layout very much as the rooms are very quiet from the regular sound you will get from the street while other people prefer rooms facing the street. Most Thon Hotels in Oslo have rooms that are facing the street and I am sure you will find a Thon Hotel that suits your needs and requirements. For more information about Thon Hotels in Oslo please see www.thonhotels.com
Riga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Oh, this was a very nice hotel, even though I promised I will never stay in Thon hotels again :)

Staff was very friendly, they checked me in at 9am, that was great. Also they have free Nespresso - best thing that can happen to you, especially when you arrive very early and leave early. Next good thing was free wifi. I love Scandinavian hotels for that.

Also the location is perfect, right in the centre of Oslo. Great, couldn't wish for better.

One bad thing was that the view out of window was the breakfast room and to be more precise there was almost a table next to my window :D

Other than that, the stay was great! You changed my mind about the Thon chain!

Room Tip: Don't take the room with the view to the breakfast room :)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are so delighted that we were able to change your mind about Thon Hotels and that you had a great stay at Thon Hotel Cecil:-) Nespresso served in the lobby and WIFI is included in your room rate at Thon Hotel Cecil. There are few that can beat our prime location next to the Parliament. I am very proud of our team and they do their outermost to give our guest a pleasant stay with us at Thon Hotel Cecil. We are very much looking forward welcoming you at Thon Hotel Cecil and in Thon Hotels:-)
Steinkjer, Nord-Trondelag, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

A few years ago I visited Cecil quite a lot. Last week I arrived Oslo in the afternoon (a little unplanned) and was in need of a hotel in the city centre. My memory of Thon Cecil was a cozy and comfy hotel, I was aware of the lack of street-facing windows in many rooms, but assumed (living in 2012, 40-50 years after landing on the moon, and in one of the wealthiest countries in the world) that it was equipped with state-of-the-art air-conditioning and in-room thermostat.

BUT NO, NO, NO!!

I checked in, and checked the room. It was really hot in there and no fresh feeling. I informed the receptionist, who just said that the temperature was adjusted by a central unit. She did not offer me another room, but a fan. I was eager to get some fresh air and oxygen in my room, not moving the bad air around by a noisy fan.

The next morning I checked out with a minimum of sleep and a bad headache. Once again I complained about the nonexisting ventilation/air-condition. No excuse from the receptionist, but he promised to report to his manager....as if that would help me.

This stay was nothing but terrible, and if this is the correct version of Thon Cecil 2012 I'm not able to recommend this hotel to anyone :-(

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
thonhotelcecil, General Manager at Thon Hotel Cecil, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us. We have had service at the ventilation system right after you stayed with us. I have contacted you directly explaining more details about this. We hope to welcome you back at Thon Hotel Cecil.

Been to Thon Hotel Cecil? Share your experiences!