“Good trip for a short stay” 3 of 5 stars

You added Scandic Vulkan to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Maridalsveien 13, Oslo 0175, Norway   |
Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in Oslo
Wirral
“Good trip for a short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I were here with the official England Fans trip for the Norway v England football match, though we kept ourselves to ourselves as much as possible.
Check in was very slow, because we were part of a large group.
Our room was perfectly good, though nothing exceptional. We wanted somewhere to rest and somewhere to store our stuff, and that's what we got.
The bar/restaurant downstairs was pretty good, and though expensive, it wasn't bad in Norwegian terms. Breakfast the next morning was perfectly good. I'm sorry that our stay in Oslo wasn't longer. We would consider staying here again, as it was good enough and reasonably central.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback after your stay with us at Scandic Vulkan.
We are happy to read that you appreciated our rooms and ecological breakfast.

We hope to see you and your wife soon again!

Scandic Vulkan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Almhult, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed in this hotel during a two day business trip. Arriving late in the evening, we were very pleased with a quick check in and a friendly recommendation for where to go to find food. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. Great WiFi service as well. The location is walking distance to restaurants and shops. We had no trouble finding it and conveniently there is garage parking just across the street. This is a well decorated, hip hotel that isn't fancy, but has a good vibe. With a stylish breakfast room and great breakfast spread, it is easy to enjoy staying here. I will stay here again on my next visit to Oslo.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your feedback after staying with us. I'm happy you like the vibe at Vulkan and appreciated both our staff, services and breakfast.

A warm welcome back soon again!

Clitheroe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This hotel seems to be a bit difficult to find on a car sat-nav. The formal address wasn’t recognized as we ended up at another street with exactly the same name. Once we phoned reception and asked for the cross street it was fine. Parked outside and unloaded, given a car park remote for the underground car par across the road. Check in no problem, up to my first room 515. It was one floor above the road – back down to ask for something quieter – no problem. I was given 525; I heard nothing even with the window open for fresh air all night. Room size was ok, bathroom was good size, shower good size and power, plenty of fresh well laundered towels, no shaving mirror just the usual big one above the wash-hand basin. TV was ok, some channels had English too. Great bed and bedding, very comfortable. Down for breakfast, good spread, plenty of tables, all nice quality. Check out no issues and another very friendly receptionist. Bar staff very friendly too. Everybody made the effort to be welcoming, all facilities good, and a definite “return to” hotel.

Room Tip: go for 525 which is 1 floor above reception
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
We are delighted to read your comment after your stay with us at Scandic Vulkan, thank you.
How nice that you enjoyed our comfortable bed and friendly staff in front desk and at the bar.

A warm welcome back soon again for another round of our ecological and yummy breakfast!

Vail, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Hast not sacrificed design for functionality. The decor of the hotels and the room is very hip, the hotal offers everything one would need. Spacious rooms and bathrooms. Awesome service by the staff. Excellent price/service ratio.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your fantastic review!

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the hit interior of the hotel, our spacious rooms and first and foremost, our great and hospitable staff.

We hope to see you back here soon again!

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had been told about this hotel from a friend who had stayed before. The staff were fantastic. The girl behind the desk was professional but very down to earth. Very funny at times too. The gentleman who worked in the mornings was very friendly. I, as a typical man, forgot to buy a euro to uk adapter and he gave me shop names and perfect directions to the shops. Also went out of his way to help my partner too. The food was superb and value for money in Oslo. Breakfast was very good. As an englishman we a like a little bit of a fried breakfast. Different to a typical English fry up. But was very nice. A lot of choice too. The rooms were very morden and comfortable. Getting into the town centre is very easy. A short 2 minute walk downhill to the bustop. Buses are very frequent and in around 5 mins to the town centre. A minus note. Its a very busy nightlife area with a few bars and can get a little noisy. It didn't bother us at all. We was probably part of it. All in all a fantasic stay. I couldnt recommend it more. We will stay there again when visit Norway again.

Room Tip: If you like a view. Try get a room with 17 at the end.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback after your stay at Scandic Vulkan. I am delighted to hear that your enjoyed our hotel and facilities. Your feedback related to our nice and friendly staff is very much appreciated.

It is important for us to offer a breakfast which appeals to everyone and it seems like we succeeded in this matter. Thank you. Did you know that V Bar og Bistro is Swan labeled as one of few restaurants in Norway?

A warm welcome back to Scandic Vulkan again soon!

Copenhagen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at Scandic Vulkan in July and unfortunately was very surprised by the low standard of this hotel. The general standard of the room interior is below standard, including towels, duvets and pillows.

After waiting 10 minutes queuing for check-in, I got my room key. However the windows in the room were not working. When approaching the reception-desk the response was 'ohh ya, the windows arent working'. Surely this could have been a useful piece of information.

It is obvious that absolutely no cleaning was made during my stay. The television, lamp, desk was covered with dust and remained so for 3 days.

The stay included breakfast. But the buffet was totally empty and after waiting for 20 minutes, I decided to go for breakfast another place.

During my stay I informed the staff about it and afterwards made an official complaint. Surely expecting some kind of compensation, I was offered a 'free' upgrade, if I was ever to return. This compensation does not, in anyway, correlate with the lacking of this hotel.

Based on my experience I would not suggest anyone going there. Our company usually stays at Scandic, but will now look into changing our supplier.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time and provide us with valuable feedback after your stay with us.

Please let me extend my sincere apology for what you unfortunately had to experience and for any inconvenience this might have caused you. I kindly ask you to contact me directly so that we can look into this matter further on lovisa.hegborn@scandichotels.com

I look forward to hear from you. Until then, I wish you a nice end of the summer.

St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

3 nights stay at this hotel was lovely experience. Hotel is located 15 minutes of walk away from central station at the newly built building. The hotel is brand new and contemporary designed. Room is simple featuring armchair, small table and flat TV. Minibar is missing, ice machine is located at the 6th and 8th floors. But it produces so small cubes of ice that the ice would melt half then you bring it to your room. If you stay at this hotel take slippers with you since it is not comfortable to walk on the wooden floor with bare feet. To be not forget the bed was comfy.

My biggest issue on this hotel is air condition. Looks like it is so much eco friendly that doesn’t work for cooling at all. We were lucky enough to get a sunny weather upon our arrival to Oslo, but unlucky to get not working air condition in the room (it didn’t cool). I applied to reception with this issue, but they dealt with me like with an idiot: are you sure you have your window closed? Did you put the room key into main switch? Of course I am sure, I understand how to use air-con. Reception even dialed to maintenance but my issue stayed unresolved. I had to sleep with open window, but it didn’t help a lot since due to security reasons it could be opened for a tiny slot only.

Do not stay at Scandic Vulcan if the weather is fine. Go there in wintertime ☺

We did breakfast 3 times during our stay and every time it had a different set up: one day jams were at one side of the table, the next day they were at another side, sometimes croissants were available, sometimes no coffee snacks (sweets at all). One day we saw do-it-yourself waffles, but it was a total mess around, too many people wanted to make waffles and only one waffle-iron. No porridge was available unlike to other Scandics. In comparison with other Scandics I have stayed (9 different hotels in Baltic states) Scandic Vulkan’s breakfast was the worst. My largest complaint is against terrible scrambled eggs served at the breakfast. I do not know how to name this egg dish: it neither looks like an omelette nor scrambled eggs.

We tried restaurant for dinner. It is written in room directory that the restaurant is open until 22:00, but no statement that kitchen closes half an hour earlier. We were lucky enough to place our order the last minute. Food was good, nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: If you need to open window ask for inner yard room. Road faced room are a bit noisy because of traff...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and comments after your stay at Scandic Vulkan.

I am happy to read that you had a lovely experience at out hotel and enjoyed our restaurant for dinner. As you wrote, the hotel is new with an urban design and located close to the central station.

Though, we apologize for the incidents during breakfast and this is of course not satisfying, we do take your comments on the matter very seriously. Waffles are served during weekends but we will look into adding one more waffle-iron.

We hope to see you back here soon again! Until then, I wish you a nice end of the summer.

Scandic Vulkan

Been to Scandic Vulkan? Share your experiences!