“Extremely unsatisfying” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in Oslo
Copenhagen
“Extremely unsatisfying”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at Scandic Vulkan in July and unfortunately was very surprised by the low standard of this hotel. The general standard of the room interior is below standard, including towels, duvets and pillows.

After waiting 10 minutes queuing for check-in, I got my room key. However the windows in the room were not working. When approaching the reception-desk the response was 'ohh ya, the windows arent working'. Surely this could have been a useful piece of information.

It is obvious that absolutely no cleaning was made during my stay. The television, lamp, desk was covered with dust and remained so for 3 days.

The stay included breakfast. But the buffet was totally empty and after waiting for 20 minutes, I decided to go for breakfast another place.

During my stay I informed the staff about it and afterwards made an official complaint. Surely expecting some kind of compensation, I was offered a 'free' upgrade, if I was ever to return. This compensation does not, in anyway, correlate with the lacking of this hotel.

Based on my experience I would not suggest anyone going there. Our company usually stays at Scandic, but will now look into changing our supplier.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time and provide us with valuable feedback after your stay with us.

Please let me extend my sincere apology for what you unfortunately had to experience and for any inconvenience this might have caused you. I kindly ask you to contact me directly so that we can look into this matter further on lovisa.hegborn@scandichotels.com

I look forward to hear from you. Until then, I wish you a nice end of the summer.

Scandic Vulkan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

3 nights stay at this hotel was lovely experience. Hotel is located 15 minutes of walk away from central station at the newly built building. The hotel is brand new and contemporary designed. Room is simple featuring armchair, small table and flat TV. Minibar is missing, ice machine is located at the 6th and 8th floors. But it produces so small cubes of ice that the ice would melt half then you bring it to your room. If you stay at this hotel take slippers with you since it is not comfortable to walk on the wooden floor with bare feet. To be not forget the bed was comfy.

My biggest issue on this hotel is air condition. Looks like it is so much eco friendly that doesn’t work for cooling at all. We were lucky enough to get a sunny weather upon our arrival to Oslo, but unlucky to get not working air condition in the room (it didn’t cool). I applied to reception with this issue, but they dealt with me like with an idiot: are you sure you have your window closed? Did you put the room key into main switch? Of course I am sure, I understand how to use air-con. Reception even dialed to maintenance but my issue stayed unresolved. I had to sleep with open window, but it didn’t help a lot since due to security reasons it could be opened for a tiny slot only.

Do not stay at Scandic Vulcan if the weather is fine. Go there in wintertime ☺

We did breakfast 3 times during our stay and every time it had a different set up: one day jams were at one side of the table, the next day they were at another side, sometimes croissants were available, sometimes no coffee snacks (sweets at all). One day we saw do-it-yourself waffles, but it was a total mess around, too many people wanted to make waffles and only one waffle-iron. No porridge was available unlike to other Scandics. In comparison with other Scandics I have stayed (9 different hotels in Baltic states) Scandic Vulkan’s breakfast was the worst. My largest complaint is against terrible scrambled eggs served at the breakfast. I do not know how to name this egg dish: it neither looks like an omelette nor scrambled eggs.

We tried restaurant for dinner. It is written in room directory that the restaurant is open until 22:00, but no statement that kitchen closes half an hour earlier. We were lucky enough to place our order the last minute. Food was good, nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: If you need to open window ask for inner yard room. Road faced room are a bit noisy because of traff...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and comments after your stay at Scandic Vulkan.

I am happy to read that you had a lovely experience at out hotel and enjoyed our restaurant for dinner. As you wrote, the hotel is new with an urban design and located close to the central station.

Though, we apologize for the incidents during breakfast and this is of course not satisfying, we do take your comments on the matter very seriously. Waffles are served during weekends but we will look into adding one more waffle-iron.

We hope to see you back here soon again! Until then, I wish you a nice end of the summer.

London, Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Purchased on Expedia for about US$100. Very good value for Oslo. Modern, trendy hotel with friendly (real 'friendly' not American style) staff. I had a room on the 9th floor with a great view. It didn't feel like a 'budget' hotel at all except for the loo roll and toiletries. Great wifi, fantastic breakfast (easily one of the better ones I've experienced in a hotel in this category) - was only missing soy(a) milk! Gym was the only disappointment - not nearly as great as website makes one think, but most hotels have average gyms. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback, we are delighted to read your comments.
Our rooms do have a fantastic view overlooking Oslo and Grünerløkka, could not agree with you more. We are also happy you enjoyed our full ecological breakfast; did you try the home made waffles?

On our Superior Extra rooms we have toiletries from FACE Stockholm and nice bathrobes, you should definitely try that next time you stay with us. The gym is fully equipped but if you prefer an even bigger one we sell day passes to SATS Vulkan located just next to the hotel.

And thank you for the soya milk suggestion, we will add it.
We hope to see you back here at Scandic Vulkan soon again!

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Needed a place to stay in Oslo at short notice. Did the secret hotel thing and this hotel came up. It's actually not a bad location if you know where you are going (don't go down the hill outside, go back through the park and you'll eventually come to the Tram within 5 minutes and shopping/night-life). Might be an idea for the hotel to have a little map showing how to get to nearby destinations.
Breakfast was great - very good quality food.
Room was very small - London small - did not expect this in a city like Oslo. Mattress was too soft but that's a personal preference. Really need bigger/more towels. I'm also not keen on the squeezy bottle instead of soap or bottles is very low rent. Everything else was fine. I was on the highest floor so could understand how the rooms further below were noisy.
Fast Internet access included for free which is +1 for me.
Staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: 9th floor is quiet
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experiences after staying with us.

How nice that you enjoyed our full ecological breakfast. Did you try our waffles?
At Front Desk we have several different maps showing our location in Oslo and attractions around the hotel. We also offer more specialized maps showing the nearby area only.

The reason why we focus on squeez bottles over smaller one-time articles is to minimize waste. We do what we can to help the environment and many small steps will make a difference. Though, we offer full size toiletries in our SHOP.

We hope to see you soon again!

Stockholm
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel and was unlucky to get a room facing the road. As others have pointed out its noisy, slightly surprising that the front desk does not mention this at check in. At the hotel website it says that this hotel is five minutes from the Oslo central station - make no mistake - this is by taxi/car when there is no traffic. Walking takes at least 20 minutes and I would not recommend anyone to take that walk at night, I would desribe the neighberhood of the hotel as quite rough, derelict buildings occupied by people that appear homeless and lots of graffiti. I know Grunerlokka is 10 minutes away, that is a cosy area, however the location of this hotel is far from cosy. Aside from that, typical Scandic, nothing more nothing less.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback after staying with us.

We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy our location and the surroundings. It is true that it takes 5 minutes with a car to the central station but there are also buses stopping just outside the hotel which takes 5 minutes to Oslo S.
Did you visit our bar and the area outside where we have a large outdoor? Very cozy with cushions, sofas and lounge furniture. And best of all, no cars as it is a pedestrian area.

We definitely hope you will give us the chance once more to show ourselves from our best side. Kindly contact us directly for future reservations.

Kristiansand, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This is a brand new hotel in Oslo I think. My first stay, and it is "WoW"! Really liked the atmosphere, really cool and friendly at the same time.
The hotel is not located "downtown", but if you really want a chance to experience Oslo as the locals this should be your pick! The hotel is in a area with lots of nice cafes, restaurants and bars mainly visited by the locals. (I´ve noticed that one of the other reviews said that there wash´t much to see close by, but I beg the difference: you are within walking distance to Grünerløkka, one of the most popular bar/restaurant areas in Oslo - but then again for the locals).

Just next to the hotel is the brand new "food hall" Vulkan; mainly selling local produced food and groceries.

I had dinner in the hotel restaurant "V"; excellent! A 3-course dinner menue based on locally Norwegian produced specialties. Best meal I have had in å long time. And not pricy either. I paid less than NOK 400,- for 3-courses incl. a glass of wine (in Norwegian standard this is not bad - and worth every penny if you want to try really good Scandinavian cooking).

I stayed here on business, but would imagine that it is also a good alternative coming with the family. Spotted a children playroom on my way to the reception. And the neighborhood area is very child friendly with parks and playgrounds nearby.

My new favorite hotel in Oslo!

Tip: if you are sensitive to traffic, ask for a room not overlooking the passing street. I didn´t mind, but too bad to spoil a great stay if you are bothered by the passing traffic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the "riverside"
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Wow back to you and a big thank you for kind words! What a fantastic review and it is pure happiness to read that you liked our "cool and friendly atmosphere", which we like to call "a different hotel for different minds".

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Scandic Vulkan and do agree with you that there are lots of things to do in the nearby area. Grunerløkka with its many cafes and restaurants is only a short walk away and Karl-Johan is 10-15min by walking.

As you say, we offer a from scratch homemade 3-course dinner with locally Norwegian produced specialties. Did you know that we change our menu every second week?

A warm welcome back to your new favorite hotel in Oslo when Mathallen opens its doors in October, or even earlier.

Happy Easter!

milan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

The Scandic Vulcan hotel has a modern decor, that I liked.
Rooms are small but ok for 1 or 2 and for a limited time. The bed was comfortable, plenty of pillows.
one negative thing is that it is located in a quite sad area. It's not extremely far from the city center, but you have to either take a taxi or walk a good 20 minutes. it's not a down-town hotel.

The structure is a bit strange since reception is actually at the 4th floor... The restaurant where they serve breakfast is nice and carefully furbished. Colored chairs, tables of wood, nice lamps. The food was also nice and with a good choice of alternatives.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Hegborn L, General Manager at Scandic Vulkan, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback after your stay at Scandic Vulkan.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our modern decor, comfy bed with nice pillows and tasteful breakfast which indeed gives you a great start of the day!

Grunerløkka is just 5 minutes away, a trendy area in Oslo. Next time you stay with us, kindly contact Front Desk and we will give to our best suggestions on what to do in this area.

A warm welcome back, we wish to see you again soon.

Scandic Vulkan

Been to Scandic Vulkan? Share your experiences!